PRS custom or CE

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Artjr, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Artjr

Artjr Member

I have a ok shape 01 ce22 I like it a lot. My first PRS . I have had it about 4 weeks , in this time I have become consumed with PRS guitars.I could trade it in and give about $200 for a 04 Custom 22 much better shape than my CE and it has all the original paper work , hang tag ect. I have not seen it in person. I did play one and it felt and played about the same as my CE. I did notice the necks fatter, but that's not a issue. Any thoughts.:JAM

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Many people love the lesser priced CE's but I have had quite a few and they never compared to the Custom line to me. $200.00 difference would be a no brainer to me to go from a CE to a Custom but I guess it comes down to your tastes and likes. Like I said, some prefer the CE but I'm not one of them.

3. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I am a big fan of the CEs. However, for $200 difference, take the Custom.

4. Artjr

Artjr Member

That's what I need to hear.
    Thanks painyguy

5. detroiter711

detroiter711 Member

I have two CE-22s and a CE-24. They are great guitars. I also have a DGT. There is something to be said for the feel and sound of a set mahogany necked guitar. Considering this, it would be hard to pass up a Custom 22 for the trade plus $200 bucks! Myself, I would do it. There is a reason they brought the Custom 22 back into the lineup last year. They are great guitars!

6. Artjr

Artjr Member

Thanks guys, I'm going for it. I can bank a grand and always get another CE. I had no problems with the CE at all . I just hate to let a deal like this pass. I still think the CE is a top notch guitar , and most likely will be getting another one in the near future to get the collection started.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The custom will be a little thicker sounding
    The CE will cut through a mix a little more easily.

I miss my '97 CE22. A McCarty was close, but not as fun.

Overall weight is worth checking out. A lighter guitar might sound more resonant. Is there a Trem vs fixed bridge to consider? 3-way vs rotary? Color?

8. Walkerjerry

Walkerjerry Member

I'd make that deal all day.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

+1

As consistent as PRS guitars are, I tend to like the lighter, more resonant guitars. My first choice are the all mahogany models, but I've played some really sweet Customs. I played the rotary switch for years, but I was happier when I changed it to a 3-way.

My advice is: play both guitars side by side, before you make a trade.

10. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I'm a big fan of PRS guitars, and their quality is such that they are one of the very few guitars I would even be tempted to buy without playing first, but I gravitate to the lighter ones as well - of the five I own, none weighs more than 7.3 lbs.

That being said, the deal the OP describes here would have bells ringing off in my head... Why would someone give me an obviously higher valued Custom (better condition, full paper work) for my CE + $200? Especially before they've played the CE? On the flip side, why would I even consider trading a guitar "I like a lot" for one I've never played?

One other thing; there are a lot of fake PRSi out there lately - I've seen two for sale here locally in the last month or so, one a "Private Stock" complete with faked signatures and PS info on the back of the headstock (see pic below). Most seem to be pretty obviously fakes if you look carefully, but it's something to be aware of.

[​IMG]

11. Artjr

Artjr Member

I'm exchanging with GC under 30 day deal. I found the custom way under priced online,I called the store had pictures sent asked all about. It was just traded in for a new LP. I have no idea why they priced it 400 less than any other custom.maybe someone just messed up. Anyway it's a done deal now.

12. axe4me

axe4me Member

I've seen many used CE models climb in price while used CU models have dropped in price.
    Both are fine guitars.
    Use what floats your boat.

13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

And the exchange/trade value of your CE is what they told you or what you say the value is? If you actually get the deal to trade for only $200, you made out well. I find it a little tough to come out on top of trade deals at my GC. It happens sometimes, but usually, I have to fork over just a little more than I want. So, it typically turns out a fair deal rather than one lopsided in my favor.

14. Artjr

Artjr Member

It's been under 30 days I got it from them. It's a return basically

15. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

^ Congrats! Great looking guitar!