• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS Dallas 2 info wanted please.

Yamaha 350

OK you all know I love the PRS PRS Sonzera amplifier head. So I found a PRS Dallas 2 Combo Amplifier for a smoking deal. And I need info. What do most guitar and PRS players think of them? How is the quality etc.. ?

Guitar Dave T

High quality circuitboard construction, killer tones when cranked, a Doug Sewell designed, professional amp that's meant to be gigged. Thick, punchy midrange that's responsive and articulate. Great amp.

The Dallas was PRS's spec'd out version of a blackface Fender Super Reverb, presumably with some extra preamp gain staging in there (hence the Master control) – I know there's also a Dallas that's the front end of a Super Reverb with the power section of a Plexi, but I believe that's the Super Dallas, not the Dallas II.

... OK, just did a bit of research, and the Dallas II is substantially the same amp as the Dallas, except it's part-handwired and part-PCB, hence the lower price point. 50 watts out of 2 6L6s, which is going to be plenty of volume for any modern stage.

So, basically, it appears to be a part-PCB, master volume-enabled version of a Super Reverb, and in every writeup I can find, Paul and his amp designer Doug Sewell mention that it's specifically voiced to add heft to single-coil guitars, so, as @Guitar Dave T says, "thick, punchy midrange" sounds very correct. A Super Reverb hardly lacks for mids on its own, so it sounds like a pretty screaming version of that circuit.

Greg Koch can make most things sound good, so caveat auditor, but this sounds pretty gotdamn good to me! Much like what I imagined: the basic tonality and top end of a Super, with a whole lot of extra crunch and punch in the middle:

(That's the Custom Dallas, not the Dallas II, but I believe the main difference is the build method, not the voicing or anything.)

Yamaha 350

High quality circuitboard construction, killer tones when cranked, a Doug Sewell designed, professional amp that's meant to be gigged. Thick, punchy midrange that's responsive and articulate. Great amp.
The Dallas was PRS's spec'd out version of a blackface Fender Super Reverb, presumably with some extra preamp gain staging in there (hence the Master control) – I know there's also a Dallas that's the front end of a Super Reverb with the power section of a Plexi, but I believe that's the Super Dallas, not the Dallas II.

... OK, just did a bit of research, and the Dallas II is substantially the same amp as the Dallas, except it's part-handwired and part-PCB, hence the lower price point. 50 watts out of 2 6L6s, which is going to be plenty of volume for any modern stage.

So, basically, it appears to be a part-PCB, master volume-enabled version of a Super Reverb, and in every writeup I can find, Paul and his amp designer Doug Sewell mention that it's specifically voiced to add heft to single-coil guitars, so, as @Guitar Dave T says, "thick, punchy midrange" sounds very correct. A Super Reverb hardly lacks for mids on its own, so it sounds like a pretty screaming version of that circuit.

Greg Koch can make most things sound good, so caveat auditor, but this sounds pretty gotdamn good to me! Much like what I imagined: the basic tonality and top end of a Super, with a whole lot of extra crunch and punch in the middle:

(That's the Custom Dallas, not the Dallas II, but I believe the main difference is the build method, not the voicing or anything.)
Thank you for the info. I have learned a lot.

ProfRhino

worth mentioning in the PRS context that they sometimes use super HQ PCBs in their handwired amps, in a unique, innovative way that arguably might even be superior to the classic ways of handwiring.
  • the PCB has an extra thick copper layer on the back, and only carries printed ground planes for superior shielding
  • anything else, components & connections, is fully handwired on eyelets, old school
  • goes without saying, pots, jacks etc are offboard, as you'd expect
Doug claims the printed ground planes go a long way towards keeping noise down, and also consistency - imhe he's right !
beautiful builds, and you hear it ! :bow

as for the Dallas 2, I have never seen one, so I can't comment how much, if any, of the above applies here.
but I would buy any amp Doug designed sight unseen, if its concept appeals to me. :cool:

sorry for the slight OT, but I figured it might be interesting,
cheers,
Rhino

Yamaha 350

worth mentioning in the PRS context that they sometimes use super HQ PCBs in their handwired amps, in a unique, innovative way that arguably might even be superior to the classic ways of handwiring.
  • the PCB has an extra thick copper layer on the back, and only carries printed ground planes for superior shielding
  • anything else, components & connections, is fully handwired on eyelets, old school
  • goes without saying, pots, jacks etc are offboard, as you'd expect
Doug claims the printed ground planes go a long way towards keeping noise down, and also consistency - imhe he's right !
beautiful builds, and you hear it ! :bow

as for the Dallas 2, I have never seen one, so I can't comment how much, if any, of the above applies here.
but I would buy any amp Doug designed sight unseen, if its concept appeals to me. :cool:

sorry for the slight OT, but I figured it might be interesting,
cheers,
Rhino
Thank you for the info.

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
It'd have to be a really smokin deal for me to jump on one. They don't seem to hold value- I mean, all of those early PRS amps seemed to tank in value on the used market- but the Dallas II appears to have held up especially poorly. I've seen them sit on the market for $600 and less.... And just sit.

I was tempted to try one out because the price was so low, but I decided it's probably not going to be "the one", and I don't want to list it and sit on it or take a hit, so I passed.

If you get one, though, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it!

Trending Topics