PRS DGT TCI 2020 ; ) Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Secret Ingredient, Feb 22, 2020.

1. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Yes, but the TCI nomenclature implies that the process is related to capacitance and inductance, both of which are primary properties of pickups and not those of potentiometers. It also implies it has something to do with tuning the resonant frequency of a pickup since that depends on those two properties and not resistance (which determines the width of the resonance peak, not its frequency). Of course, at the end of the day I am just guessing like everyone else.

ProfRhino likes this.
  2. DrewH

DrewH Member

We can file TCI away with Sinker Mahogany, V12 finish, special pickup wire made by fairies, and whatever else Paul has come up with for a marketing gimmick to get the fanbois to buy another guitar.

ProfRhino and ieso like this.
  3. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

you sound upset. You should buy a guitar. I recommend a PRS. They're good.

Lt Dak, tonedover, Benz2112 and 3 others like this.
  4. DrewH

DrewH Member

I have one and would buy another. I just hate their marketing tactics .

miamimart, gwayne and Jimmy Tango like this.
  5. Roe

Roe Member

yes, but the resistance of the pot greatly affects the resonant frequency.

ProfRhino likes this.
  6. philiprst

Respectfully, I disagree. In an RLC circuit (which is typically what a pickup with a passive volume and tone control is) the resonant frequency is independent of the resistance (R) and depends only on the inductance (L) and the capacitance (C). The resistance does affect the width of the resonant peak, however.

If someone who owns a TCI guitar was kind enough to take a photo of the control cavity that would probably take some of the guesswork out of this.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    ProfRhino likes this.
  7. Roe

Roe Member

I don't disagree with this. Its easy enough to add a resistor in parallel with a pot and to test.

ProfRhino likes this.
  8. ieso

ieso Member

I'm a fanboy with multiple PRSi but I can't disagree with this :D

Roe and ProfRhino like this.
  9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

right, but we knew that all the time, and shamelessly used it for our sinister plans ... :omg
    FTR, I recently got a good deal on 10 (new & sealed) PRS volume pots.
    I happen to like the taper & general feel a lot ...
    they vary between 430k and 560k (bleed cap in place), not necessarily nice if you only bought a single one - for me however, it means I have a welcome tweak option when one has to be replaced. :cool:
    a range of 130k - this is not subtle anymore.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

Roe likes this.
  10. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I have an SE Paul’s Guitar. The specs say it has TCI “S” pickups. So you’re saying they aren’t “TCI” pickups? ;)

philiprst likes this.
  11. philiprst

Not really. Even if this is about adding a capacitor in parallel with the pickup, one could still say that the pickups have a tuned capacitance and inductance without straying too far from the truth. It's a bit like referring to a tuned string. The tuned string is the same object as the untuned string the only difference is the externally applied tension.

12. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

If you follow my guess of "tuning per model", these might be exactly as "TCI" as the US ones. :dunno
    just saying,
    Rhino

13. Roe

Roe Member

after some decades of use they will vary even more. Old gibsons can read as high as 900k. I like high-reading pots for neck humbuckers, and 450++k for bridge humbuckers and p90s

ProfRhino likes this.
  14. luckymethod

luckymethod Member

Prs said so himself during an interview with Greg Koch, it's tuned by model, not by guitar.

ProfRhino likes this.
  15. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

great, thanks for that ! :)
    so we finally can bury the myths ... :brick
    do you have a link by any chance ?

mind you, I'm just as curious about those TCIs as anybody else - I'm very happy with my current PUs, many of them being PRS, but I'm always open for new tricks.

cheers,
    Rhino

16. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Two pages and no one had tried the DGT TCI?

17. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

not out yet here in EU, afaics. :dunno
    ymmv,
    Rhino

18. george7117

george7117 Supporting Member

Sorry, just stumbled on this thread. I have a DGT that has been "TCI"-ed. The funny thing is, I didn't know it until I opened it up. This guitar was purchased online and is a July 2019 model. I had previously owned a DGT years ago but it's been too long to directly compare them.

So, if you look in the control cavity, a "TCI" guitar will have an extra resistor soldered into the volume pot lug where the pickup hot lead connects. It also will have the standard treble bleed cap that DGTs (and most PRS's) have had for years.

How does it sound? It sounds like a DGT. But with maybe (?) a bit more presence in the low end. I often felt like the DGT neck pickup has way too much low end. It can get muddy. The TCI process sort of cleans this up. It also seems to remove some some mids when the guitar is all the way up. I can get this guitar to sound very close to a 335.

Now, what I don't like is that as you reduce the volume it really thins out. (this is probably just the treble bleed caps, but its hard to tell). I ride the volume a lot, and, I haven't been able to bond with how much it thins the sound out.

So, just for fun, I pulled out the entire wiring harness last weekend and put in RS pots and switches without a treble bleed cap and no volume pot resistors. Now the guitar has a bit more mid range, the volume pots don't thin out as they turn down, BUT, that neck pickup is muddy again, just like I remember my old DGT being.

Also, I will say that the split sounds with the TCI process sound better than ever. That neck sounds like a REALLY great strat. Without the TCI harness in there, it still sounds good, but I was pretty impressed with the split tones of the neck.

So, I'm not sure which I will keep in the guitar, maybe I'll sell the TCI harness to someone here or just put it back in. PRS is great a marketing, but, they make really great guitars that stand up on their own. Interesting stuff.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Pointy Headstock and ProfRhino like this.
  19. Tritone

Tritone Member

I have one. I just have nothing to compare it to. From the pre-TCI demos on Youtube I've listened to, I'd say it sounds pretty much the same as before.

20. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

thanks for the report, interesting indeed ! :aok
    as you can apparently solder, here's what I would do if this were my own guitar :
    - it's not all or nothing, try to find your perfect tweaks, based on the original harness !
    little cables with alligator clips can be your friend - you can change out various bleeds while the guitar is still plugged in, for example.
    - sounds like you like that "TCI-R", now try and find a less obvious treble bleed to go with it !
    - and then, both PUs / vol pots can have slightly different setups - why not ?
    sounds like fun to me, satisfaction almost guaranteed ! :cool:

FTR, on my regular DGTs the bleed is just right, not overly thin.
    if I want old school, no bleed, I grab a SC w. 57/08s for example, I care about these details a lot, just like you.

ymmv, but have fun,
    Rhino

btw, where does the other end of that "TCI-R" go ?