PRS DGT Volume Knobs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NB_Terry, May 24, 2015.

1. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I bought a used 2008 DGT a few months ago.

I love the feel of the guitar and it's a great sounding guitar with one exception;

Rolling down the volume knobs on the guitar does almost nothing until it's about 60% or more turned down, and then it's muddy as hell.

My Hamer Mirage II cleans up much nicer, and I've done no mods to it whatsoever.

Anyone else have this problem with their DGT? Maybe someone changed pots or something?

Here's a picture of the control cavity of the DGT. Any advice is appreciated. Tks.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=397f7883d4eb4b8566df69033bab1ba0&oe=55F63FDD

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I'll probably get flamed here, but I much prefer a linear taper pot over an audio taper for this very reason. I had a PRS for a few weeks and the volume drove me crazy. I had basically no good sound until about 7 or 8.

Hamer was known to have a nice taper spec'd for their pots. I don't know if you can get them anymore.

If it were my guitar, I would get a 500K linear taper pot.

NB_Terry likes this.
  3. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Consider 50's wiring, might be the easiest fix. (soldering one end of one wire on each volume.)

4. LJD

LJD Member

Maybe a bad pot. Contact PRS customer service and request a new one. Demand a new one.

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Thanks!

6. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I'm bringing the guitar to a technician tomorrow.

When I restrung the guitar today, I checked the pickups to make sure they're DGT, and they are.

I think someone must have swapped out pickups at one time, and then rewired it incorrectly.

The 2 volume knobs on my guitar don't blend the pickups at all, so something is definitely not right.

7. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Thanks. He has the DGT now and I gave him the wiring diagram from the PRS site. I should have it back in a coupe of days. Looking forward to having it work properly.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big PRS "Guitar" fan and have owned well over a dozen. I currently own 3.

That being said, PRS will not warranty anything to a non original owner. The paint could fall off or have known to be faulty tuner buttons and they will not do a thing. Trust me I know.

9. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

This is what the technician wrote me:

Upon closer examination it appears the two resistors on the push-pull pot have been removed and shorted to ground. That would drastically alter the tone adjustment. It appears to have been done on purpose rather than by mistake. Everything else seems to be as it should. I don't stock those resistors as I rarely have a need for them. If you want to pick them up I can install them or you can wait till I put in my next order for electronics parts and I can install them at that time. Let me know what you want to do. The parts are 1.1K resistor and 2.2K resistor. Cheers.

10. LJD

LJD Member

I do think they would help an original owner, but for the pot you'd have to send your guitar to Maryland. At least they dramatically dropped the price of their volume pots on the PRS site shop (From around $30 down to $9. They come rigged with a treble bleed.

11. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I agree with FM1968. Absolute bone stock wiring is what you want, just like from the factory. So try to find a tech qualified to do that.

Those volume controls are an important part of the DGT sound, and I assure you they do NOT get muddy as you turn down--they get brighter in fact. That's one feature that makes the DGT a wonderfully versatile guitar for live use. Thick for solo work, bright and cutting for rhythm.

NB_Terry likes this.
  12. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Cool. Thanks for the info everyone.

13. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

My guitar is a 2008, and after doing some digging, the older DGTs did not have the 1.1k and 2.2k resistors.

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/dgt.pdf

One friend of mine said that I should cut the treble bleed caps off of the volume pots. Anyone here done this?

14. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

The treble bleeds are for retaining the high end when rolling down the volume knobs.
    My '97 McCarty didn't have a treble bleed and I added one for that very reason. I also did 50's wiring , added a PIO cap and a set of DGT pickups.
    Keep the treble bleeds IMO.

15. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

The guy got it fixed up nicely. It's great now.

16. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

:dude