Prs Dgt........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Feb 14, 2008.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Looks great. Do you know what the pricing is?

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

With a Ten Top and Birds around $2500......I think.

4. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

your off by about $600, guess which direction;)

This is the 6th or 7th one they got in, just the first one not pre sold

nice

5. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

I paid $2350 for my Goldtop with moons...of course that was last July and I still don't have the guitar.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I don't want to start quoting prices and breaking any rules but I will say shop around and you can get it much cheaper if you want to wait and order one.

Anyone one here take the plunge already and want to share your thoughts on the guitar vs a regular McCarty?

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I played one, and heard DG hisownself playing one (same guitar, actually!) at the PRS Experience last fall.

A few thoughts:

1. The pickups are great -- my favorite pups PRS have ever done. They have that chirp and squawk thing that good PAFs have. I liked the high end (smoother, sweeter) better than I have on any other PRS pups.

2. The neck carve is great -- pretty close to the original "regular" carve on the '85-'86 guitars, which feels a lot like an old '50s Les Paul neck. (much more so than, say, the current Historic LP necks do)

3. I really like the double volume controls.

4. The finish feels great -- again, more like the '50s Les Pauls than that hard stuff on new PRSi.

I liked it so much that I ordered one. I'm still waiting. (and hoping that the teardrop 'burst thing is an aberration!) FWIW, the price I was quoted (for birds + 10) was between the two extremes given here.

8. JPenn

JPenn Member

As a long time McCarty trem user, I'm very interested to try one out. Elderly has 2 in stock. I called about one, but it was more than I wanted to spend.

9. Reverb

Reverb Silver Supporting Member

10. Reverb

Reverb Silver Supporting Member

What do you mean by the Teardrop burst?

11. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Look at the one in the link above - the horns are completely tobacco.

12. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'll be pretty unhappy if mine comes out looking like that. Here's what I think a "McCarty tobacco sunburst" should look like on a PRS. Notice how the yellow extends into the horns:

[​IMG]

13. wilerty

wilerty Member

The list price on the DGT is $3,600 ... plus $420 for birds and/or $720 for a 10 Top ... less any discount.

14. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

I just got mine this week for under $3K...plus some goodies that brought my effective price paid to about $2800, this for the 10T model

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. george4908

george4908 Member

Keep in mind that the David Grissom is designed to be played with .011s and has very large frets. Still very comfortable, would not take much if any adjustment if you're used to .010s. They sound terrific. The pickups in these really are very good and the trem adds a 3-D quality to the sound.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I thought this would be an intresting thread to resurect and see how peoples opinions have changed since the DGT has become widely available as well as Many other really cool Vintage Vibed Nitro finished PRS Options.

DGT owners and all 58/08 equiped PRS owners.........so is PRS living up to all the hype over a year later? What do you have? Looks like I'm getting ready to jump on the Bang Wagon.......[​IMG]

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

My sole op is the DGT is the best PRS being made {for me}. Don't own one but if it had to be a PRS it would be a DGT goldtop w/moons. Fantastic sounding & playing guitars. Sticky nitro, that'll take a bit of wearing in to feel better - but that's the way it Go with niTro.

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

My DGT is my favorite PRS out of about a dozen I have owned. From Santana's, Custom 22, Custom 24. McCarty, Standards, Mira, Singlecut, SC245 etc... The DGT is the PRS for me!

19. Degle

Degle Member

I'm on my third DGT. All three were excellent, but I had a certain weight (under 8lbs) and finish (CSB: AKA Clown Burst) in mind. I'm thrilled with the DGT neck carve, the large frets, the finish that does not have the typical dipped-in-glass PRS look, and the incredible DGT pickups. Someone else mentioned these are the best PRS pickups to date. I totally agree, though I have not yet tried the 57/08's. My prior PRSi included McCarty, McCarty Soapbar, Santana III, and Mira models.

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think a DGT is definitely in my future. I have a little nestegg from all the OT I've been working (What my wife hasn't taken for household repairs and upgrades anyways) and I think I'm gonna splurge on a New McCarty Smokeburst or a 245 Sunburst with 57/08's. I can't decide on which one yet .........:huh

The used prices on the DGT's are just phenomenal and with a bit more scriping and saving and the sale of my amp , I think I could obtain both.

If I did get the DGT over the Nitro finished other guitars I think I would opt for the new 57/08 option. But with Patience maybe I can have both.

Anyone here play a New AL D guitar yet?