PRS Discount...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BillyK, Mar 5, 2018.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

PRS is one of the companies that holds its dealers to MAP pricing on advertising. So, for example, online Dave's guitars is selling the 594 with the nice top for $5k. In the actual store, or if you call to talk it over, the price is about 20% less. I'm not sure you'll get much more discount than that from anyone.

BUT..... PRS are almost always available as well taken care of used guitars, and they generally lose 30-40% of their value second hand. Since the guarantee is only 1 year anyway, you're not losing much going used. What are you looking for?

Jabberwocky likes this.
  2. BillyK

BillyK Member

Hey drbob1. Thanks for that very specific info.

I've been buying guitars for decades, so I am really familiar with buying new/used Gibsons and Fenders - just not PRS'. My son bought a PRS years back and the dealer indicated that they couldn't offer any discounts whatsoever. If you do a search for discount info on Gibson and Fenders (and some others) there's a ton of information including personal experiences with specific models at exact discount rates. For PRS, not so much - people don't seem to talk about PRS discounts. In fact, this thread will probably be a wonderful resource for people noodling through this topic, as it provides some really good info.

I am interested in a SC594. I have owned vintage Gibsons and wanted to cover familiar Les Paul ground, but didn't want another LP. I tried a SC594 at a local dealer and was really impressed. For me, it had a familiar vintage LP feel, but offered much more tonally. It wasn't the color I wanted, so I didn't enter negotiations with the dealer. I may pull the trigger on one in the coming months.

3. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

PRS does not flood the market, so if you're looking for a specific model and color, you really need to look around and negotiate with the specific shops/sellers. Brian's guitars does look like a good place to start. As others say, you have to be ready to walk, or you will overpay.Even the used market on PRS has been pretty rigid, though as inventory piles up, that is starting to change -- in some cases, dramatically. I generally buy used because it is pretty easy to find a pristine example at a much! better! price! but if you want a new color or configuration, that's out;

4. duhziner

duhziner Member

Sweetwater gave me a fantastic deal on a 594. Just call your Sweetwater person, or ask for Daniel Vranic. He's my guy there

5. dwk302

dwk302 Member

They don’t seem to hold value so why not buy used?

6. telebuck

telebuck Member

It also depends on the model. For example, I doubt folks are getting much of a discount on the Silver Sky! Eventually that will change, but right at the moment I wouldn't expect much off MAP.

Edit: I see the OP is interested in a 594. Definitely deals out there on those now, but not when they were first released.

7. ieso

ieso Member

I've bought PRSi from Dave's and Willcutt and they will both discount considerably. The last time I bought a core 10 top that was in the shop for a few months I haggled for a while and got nearly 20% off, but not quite.

8. django49

django49 Member

Seems to me there is a "list price" (which is pretty meaningless, except as a "Look how much I am discounting this, just for you!" sale pitch), an MAP (more realistic place to start) and then it depends upon how anxious the dealer is, how long they have been sitting on it, etc. But it has been quite a while since I was serious about buying one. Reckon I'd have to pass along 2 or 3 of what I already have before I get back to the "must buy" point.

9. klatuu

klatuu Member

This. I just bought a 594 wood library artist and was given a cash price and a price if I used affirm. The cash price was $200 less because the affirm deal was zero interest and the dealer and reverb have to split the cost. Nobody lends money for free. Somebody has to pay.

jrjones likes this.
  10. klatuu

klatuu Member

Dealers aren’t as willing to move on new stock, and stuff that’s unusually nice. If you find a 594 with a really exquisite top and desirable finish, the dealer knows someone will step up and pay more to get it.

11. drbob1

The 594, being new, is pricey. That said, you can get a solid 20% off.

Check out Dave's inventory, then call them and ask for Laun (pronounced lawn), I think he's the PRS guy!

12. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

The PRS warranty is two years on electronics and hardware. Lifetime on everything else. Non-transferable.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. They're so well built and usually very well taken care of. As mentioned, buying one new is like buying a new car. It takes a big depreciation hit second hand.

13. B Money

B Money Member

you know the Guitar Center 15% off coupons that everyone (rightly) complains about, with the long list of exempt brands? PRS is NOT on that list, meaning that you can regularly get 15% off PRS through Guitar Center. They are doing 20% off right now I think.

14. BillyK

BillyK Member

Thanks again guys.
    Great info here!

15. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Depends on the model, features, if it was a limited run or made for the store.

As I have learned from buying over the years, if you like it and want it, buy it.
    The store is there to make money...if not, it will not be there for long.

Here's something you don't hear every day but can sometimes be true:
    The final price can be directly proportionate to the attitude of the customer.
    Hell, the guitar knows it. :)

16. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I only bought a new PRS once. I emailed Wildwood. They gave me a quote. It was the best price I found so I called them and bought the guitar.

Will do business with them again.

17. Bogner

Bogner Member

You get what you negotiate in life. There is always a deal somewhere.

18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Reach out to Brian Meader...

19. drbob1

I have to admit that used, I do keep an eye on Canadian sales-I've gotten some very decent deals due to the exchange rate, as long as you can get the rosewood thing done.

20. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

Yup... I had a 1000$ budget and pre ordered the new zebrawood se at $829 Ordered the Plek and a Tusq nut. Altogether, the price was hovering around 1130. Sales rep took 100 or so off the price of the guitar. So, yes, there is wiggle room.