PRS EG ll player?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrJamie, Mar 30, 2005.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I've always wondered about these. 3 Fralin dominos. Comments? Thanks, Jamie.

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Strat like recipe, with a fatter, richer single coil tone. They sounded great if not authentic to my ears, but that was years ago!

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The original EG series did not come with Fralin pups. Don't know much about those either. My recollection is about 92 or 93 PRS changed the EG Series model numbers to EG I, EG II and EG III. I believe the EG I had two Fralins and a bridge HB, the EG II was set up like a SAS (as far as pups) and the EG III was three Fralins. Discontinued in 94 I believe.

I've owned and played an EG III for years and they are good strat style guitars. My brother plays an EG I and he still digs it. If you like the PRS neck, scale length, trem and fretboard, these are good ways to get strat sounds in a guitar with a PRS feel. Alder bodies, maple bolt on necks. PRS "special" winged tuners (mostly a love em-hate em kinda thing it seems). Nothing fancy at all about the guitar. Good basic transportation.

I find the pups to be very stratty. Since Fender makes so many strat versions, it'd be hard to say which one is the strat sound but the EG is right there in the middle of the mix. My experience is the Fralins have good clarity like a low to medium output old strat pup.

A good straightforward strat style guitar with a PRS feel. They have always been a little scarce and it is hard to find clean versions since they get played a lot. Some colors are...well interesting. The electric blue and electric red models were not pleasing to my eye. Just about every other color I've seen looks OK though.

hunter

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I had an EG with 2 HFS humbuckers and a Lindy Fralin strat-type pickup in the middle. You could tap out the humbuckers and use it like a strat with 3 single coils and a 5 way blade switch. Very versatile guitar and it was only about $850 new with tax and case.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had two of 'em, both with the domino Fralins and a HFS in the bridge position.

My experience with them was eimilar to Bluser's: Very Strat-like, but with a fatter, richer single coil tone. They sounded great, IMO. Plus, they had typical PRS build quality,m which is to say "great".

I have always regretted selling both of them.

6. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Had and stupidly sold a Swamp Ash Special. Saw the EG for sale locally (sort of), and have to find time for an hour drive to check it out. Thanks for the input.

7. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

There was also an EG-4. I'm no authority on the PRS line but a seafoam (ish) green EG-4 is one of the first electrics I reach for. Mine came stock with a HFS bridge humbucker and 2 just adequate single coils which were not Fralins. I replaced these with real mid 60s strat pickups and have been through a few different bridge pickups. Amazing guitar; my old guitar tech liked it better than any other PRS ever and I tend to agree. The neck is on the thin side, and isn't as stiff as a lot of guitars, but that's my only complaint. Oddly, this is the only example of these I've ever played.

8. Z-Rider

Z-Rider Member

9. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Dug out my PRS book and my memory must be shot. THe originals were EG 3 and 4's (90-91). Three single coil Dunlops or two singles and a humbucker. 91-95 was the EG II series with the noise free Fralins in three single, two single and one HFS HB (bridge), or two HB (neck, bridge) and a conventional Fralin Single in the middle. BTW, body shaping was subbed out to a shop in the DC area.

In spite of what the PRS book says (what do they know anyway), I'd swear those 91-95 models were sold as EG I, II and IIIs. However, I think I have long since since dumped my PRS catalog from that era. Without further evidence, I gotta go with the book.

Anyway they are still good guitars. I dug mine out and made a gig with it this weekend and it was real satisfying to play. And the low noise Fralins do really work at keeping the noise down..

hunter

10. Z-Rider

Z-Rider Member

As far as I know it's even more complicated. You're right about the '90/'91 EG3 and 4. Mine is a '90 EG3 -formerly with 3 Duncan SSL2s-, now outfitted with Kent Armstrong lipsticks.
    The Sunburst is a '93 EGII aka EG Bolt-on. Those came in three pickguard versions: one with three Lindy Fralin "dominoes", one with two dominoes and a HFS humbucker and one with two HFSs and a regular Lindy Fralin single coil in the middle position, known as 1, 2 or 3. There were options like maple caps and tri-color sunburst and hey came with winged tuners.

My EGII had major neckjoint surgery. The neck bent forward and the body showed cracks, so I had the neck reinforced and glued into the body. The neck pickup had to move a little towards the bridge because of the neck reinforcement, so I changed the dominoes for the neck humbucker. Today it also sports a middle single coil to make it look more original, although a different model. It's a great guitar now and sounds somewhere between a strat and an SG.

leon

11. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

This is mine. IT has the fralins. I don't think its a strat copy. It has a single coil sound, but not exactly like my strats. I think those Fralins give it an unique single coil sound with no hum. They are also light guitars. I don't know why so many have cracks in the neck pocket as I've seen many with them. Mine hasn't cracked.

[​IMG]

12. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    anyone have issues wioth the neck join? a few Harm Ctrl reviews told of horror stories w the neck join - not bolted on strongly enough. v

one I saw close up - you could MOVE the neck in the join! those screws don't look strong enough.
    any experience with this?

thanks

13. Greggy

Greggy Member

A guy down the street had a '93 for sale with 3 domino Fralins. Sunburst. I wanted it in the worst way, but when I inspected the neck the neck pocket was not right. I could bend the neck forward and back thus raising the pitch of the strings, while at the same time a slight cracking sound could be heard from the neck joint/pocket. I passed.

14. Kalalau Hiker

I recently bought one - similar results - nice guitar .. but WHY THE F... don't they have stronger bolts holding that thing in? truly stunning

check Harm Cetrl - bout 70% love it - 30% have mention of this issue.

am probably going to return it.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

16. Kalalau Hiker

I did get the EG and have been up and down about it! I DID read all those things in Harm Ctrl about the neck join not being that strong - check em out - some are scary - re being movable, tone going down a step when held upside down , etc. .

mine is "kinda " like that! you can move it a little - it ... creaks.
    BUT - I can pull on it - it creaks - but ZERO intonation issue - in other words it does NOT go out of tune no matter haw hard I pull on the neck, with the creaking! weird.
    also - it stays in tune immaculately with the tremelo - even w aggressive whammying! NICE!

I was thinking I got one with the weak neck join - but it seems OK - so I'm keeping it ... BECAUSE - it sounds TOTALLY funky.

As opposed to what I expected - it is NOt a "more mid rangey or bassy" strat at all . It is the most trebly FUNKY strat I've ever heard .. INCLUDING my Warmoth Limba strat w the Falins.. must be due to these Fralin staggered pups - but it just CRIES for funk and dirty blues. I love it.

not a great bass response - so not what I expected - which was - switching from my blues/funk to jazz sounds.It has much less bass than my Fender Jeff Beck, less warmth, but AWESOME for down and dirty blues.

the BEST thing is the NECK ... MUCH easier to play than any of my strats - including the Fender Jeff Beck and the Warmoths. almost like an SG kind of neck. Easier t play than my PRS Santana II (thanks again William! STILL lovin it! )

so I decided it's a keeper and worth it.

I don’t know how that one sounds w the hummers and single coil in middle - might be great.
    [FONT=&quot]I would diectly ask about the neck and refer to the Harm Central horror stories (BTW - those guys ALSO kept there's - they liked em anyway!)

[/FONT] There was this nice Seafoam green one I liked, but I had already bought mine … – and only for $800.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260084407724&rd=1&rd=1

I think you need to ask about the neck, and you'll ne fine.