• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

PRS "Experiece 2018" (strange) bad repair experience

ivandolz

Most of us hope PRS will make it right for you.
Because we all want PRS to be a good company.
Sending it back seems to be the only chance to a positive outcome.
It's the only way to know... I think I will do it, hopefully I will have good news to post here, and to thatnk you all.

Variable

Send it back. What they are now saying seems to be code for making it right.
This. And I would give them a call directly. Ask for Matt, he is who I have dealt with for all my PTC issues and he is very helpful. For the amount of money you spent on the guitar, you absolutely have the right to talk to someone on the phone about this, and hearing an actual human on the other end can help get the message across. It's too easy for email back and forth to lose something in translation or to be misinterpreted.

Beauchamp

I don't know who is at fault here but the people at PRS are very experienced and knowledgeable and I'm sure they get lots of returns where the owner claims they are not at fault. If they gave out free repair work they would be swamped. Re-finishing a guitar means they have to completely dis-assemble the instrument, then remove the existing finish, prep it to accept new finish, spray, dry, spray etc, buff and polish, then re-assemble, rewire, restring and reset. It is way more work than putting on the original finish. The workers doing all this work want to get paid at least a living wage. Although I don't crave PRS guitars, the ones I have played seem very well made. I get that when you pay a lot of money for a guitar you expect a lot but it sounds like you are not playing the guitar very much now because of the bad vibes. Cosmetics should not dictate your creativity and musical enjoyment with any guitar. Overlooking the grease pencil is pretty indefensible for them though.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Per the OP, Paul apparently approved a "touch up" to correct the issues. Now, that is admittedly vague, but what the OP received back was pretty far away from a touch up. Especially since it seems the guitar came back worse than when it went out. Even if the PTC decided it was user damage and it would cost to repair it, they should do the right thing and take care of him given the state the guitar was returned in.

The operating phrase for any guitar repair shop is "do no harm," especially for a guitar at this price point.
So no, they did not promise a warranty repair and reference to action based on warranty repair is not applicable. And for a free touch up, what they did is an improvement. If I paid for it, no I would not be pleased.

I think refinish is a mistake for those small damage areas. The guitar finish will probably not be exactly the same and there is no way the OP will be satisfied in the long run. His best path to satisfaction is to express his disgust in every PRS post from now on.

ivandolz

So no, they did not promise a warranty repair and reference to action based on warranty repair is not applicable. And for a free touch up, what they did is an improvement. If I paid for it, no I would not be pleased.

I think refinish is a mistake for those small damage areas. The guitar finish will probably not be exactly the same and there is no way the OP will be satisfied in the long run. His best path to satisfaction is to express his disgust in every PRS post from now on.
I do not agree with you. I hate to express my disgust, it is a waste of time and energy, and I hate it.. I was just seeking advice, and I got very good advice here and on the PRS forum, the only places were I talked about this. Read what the guarantee sais: They agree to fix or they do not agree. There are no grey areas.

Everyone says that a refin from the PTC is brilliant, they even say that no PTC client was ever disatisfied, so I thik it would be the best outcome in my opinion.

If you say you will not be please for that repaired, how can you defend the company? If you sell a luxury product you have to give luxury service in my opion. Sending a guitar with grease pen marks its not acceptable.

I am going to send it back. They wrote me again to tell me that the sales rep would be the only one evaluating the guitar. I am optimistic.

ivandolz

I don't know who is at fault here but the people at PRS are very experienced and knowledgeable and I'm sure they get lots of returns where the owner claims they are not at fault. If they gave out free repair work they would be swamped. Re-finishing a guitar means they have to completely dis-assemble the instrument, then remove the existing finish, prep it to accept new finish, spray, dry, spray etc, buff and polish, then re-assemble, rewire, restring and reset. It is way more work than putting on the original finish. The workers doing all this work want to get paid at least a living wage. Although I don't crave PRS guitars, the ones I have played seem very well made. I get that when you pay a lot of money for a guitar you expect a lot but it sounds like you are not playing the guitar very much now because of the bad vibes. Cosmetics should not dictate your creativity and musical enjoyment with any guitar. Overlooking the grease pencil is pretty indefensible for them though.
You know they don't get paid for guitar, but a salary, right? I mean, the cost for them to fix this issue for a good client is neglictible.

I have no other complaints for all the many other PRS I had. They are indeed good instruments. But I like companies that stand behind their products. I hope they finally do so.

Regarding the cosmetics you are totally right. I just want them to do the right thing, but it does not affect sound.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, I agree. They can’t be sure. If It was my company, I will do different than you: If I was selling a premium product at a premium price (twice the price of a regular CE) I will say that the customer is always right and I will do a perfect repair so he is so happy that he will buy more guitars from me and give me a good name instead of this.
What’s the residual cost for them on repairing the guitar? $200? $300? Just having a customer happy that will buy again another PRS will make much more money than that.
Again, that is my personal view. I will hate to have a customer that paid $5500 for a guitar when he could have paid $2k for an American Fender or $3k for a CE of my models be angry for how we treated him. If I agree to repair, Inwill show him the best instead of doing a repair than any third party would have done at least as good as them.
Customer service failure at PRS is more common than you might be expected to believe. People don't want to be negative and anyone with a concern is smoothed over by the fan boys. Finishes have been chipping and customers have been brushed off since the old PRS Forum days. And it's not about the money that you spend, but rather, it's about the people you know on the inside. If you're in the clique, you get special treatment, if not you get told to pound sand. PRS customer service has always scored low marks. Too often smug, arrogant, condescending, arbitrary and amateurish. Fact is, they are hostile to you and your concerns, they too often know better than you. There is a good chance that they will challenge your concerns and will not stand behind their work. It is how they approach their problems, blame the customer and/or avoid responsibility. They said that you were getting a personal favor, because it's clear to anyone who has been watching for the past 20 years that problems are often dealt with as personal favors at PRS. Your concerns were not taken seriously, just given the appearance of being taken seriously. You were handled.
THAT.

I have seen finish issues like that before (though not magically appearing dings). Absent the ding, they should have repaired the finish issues CORRECTLY. if it were me, I'd do that then give you a quote to repair the dings, and not a 4 figure one...

Looks like they took 3 months to do what any kid can do with a touch up pen from stew mac in about 5 minutes.

They should be mortified and ashamed. That they aren't tells me no one there gives a sh*t and you are correct about the marketing hype.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I do not agree with you. I hate to express my disgust, it is a waste of time and energy, and I hate it.. I was just seeking advice, and I got very good advice here and on the PRS forum, the only places were I talked about this. Read what the guarantee sais: They agree to fix or they do not agree. There are no grey areas.

Everyone says that a refin from the PTC is brilliant, they even say that no PTC client was ever disatisfied, so I thik it would be the best outcome in my opinion.

If you say you will not be please for that repaired, how can you defend the company? If you sell a luxury product you have to give luxury service in my opion. Sending a guitar with grease pen marks its not acceptable.

I am going to send it back. They wrote me again to tell me that the sales rep would be the only one evaluating the guitar. I am optimistic.
If I paid for it.

ivandolz

If I paid for it.
A job repair is good or bad, no matter if you pay for it or not. Its not something abstract.

I do not expect from PRS, on a $5,500 guitar anything that is not excellence once they accept to repair it. Maybe be from a third party luthier, but not from the brand themselves, even when the owner has decided personally to repair it.

You might think otherwise and it has to be respected for sure.

vchizzle

I think it’s a good call to send it back. I don’t know much about finish repairs but I’m certain they can make it look better than that. The grease pencil is unacceptable. Why it came to you like that, I can’t answer. It’s not the service I’d expect or have ever experienced with them. It appears it got sent back before completion by mistake, but that’s just my opinion.

I will say, when dealing with any customer service, the court of public opinion(public forums) is the wrong place. Maybe it’ll get you a result, but long term relation, not great. Just not how I operate and I’ve generally had great relationships with companies when I needed service. Sounds like it’s been a long road and I get the frustration. Bottom line, everyone only has your side of the story on forum posts. Right, wrong or indifferent.

IanRubbish

Im glad people post this stuff on forums, because in certain cases like this it confirms my experience to not be a fluke. I can understand people liking the company and defending them, but when they attack and insult the person posting about being distraught over it, that's weak.

ivandolz

I think it’s a good call to send it back. I don’t know much about finish repairs but I’m certain they can make it look better than that. The grease pencil is unacceptable. Why it came to you like that, I can’t answer. It’s not the service I’d expect or have ever experienced with them. It appears it got sent back before completion by mistake, but that’s just my opinion.

I will say, when dealing with any customer service, the court of public opinion(public forums) is the wrong place. Maybe it’ll get you a result, but long term relation, not great. Just not how I operate and I’ve generally had great relationships with companies when I needed service. Sounds like it’s been a long road and I get the frustration. Bottom line, everyone only has your side of the story on forum posts. Right, wrong or indifferent.
thanks for your answer, I think you are right, forums are not the best place, but I wrote on desperation after trying to explain that they were not making it right several times. I gave them a few opportunities. I also suggested that they might have sent it before completion but they denied it.

It’s obviously my side of the story. I have tried to be specific, fair, posted pictures and tried to also say the things that I did wrong. But maybe they will not agree. I have seen a lot of posts of this style and that is why I wanted to be specific and fair. I have been honest, but I understand that I only have my word for it and your decision to believe it.
I will of course be fair and if they solve it properly, post about it. I am willing to buy more PRS, I love the brand and the guitars and that is why I got soooo disappointed with this.

ivandolz

Im glad people post this stuff on forums, because in certain cases like this it confirms my experience to not be a fluke. I can understand people liking the company and defending them, but when they attack and insult the person posting about being distraught over it, that's weak.
Thanks for your post. I indeed tried to be objective and Fair, and people’s opion helped a lot. I also hope this post helps others with similar experiences.

Why some people defend companies, even when they do wrong is beyond my understanding. After reading and thinking a lot about what happened, a non profesional repair and a dirty guitar with grease marks is simply unacceptable and Incant share the opinion of those that will defend that those things are not the company’s fault and that I should simply thank them.

But I understand that mistakes happen. It’s their time to make it right, and if they do, people will know it too and that is good for PRS.

Sobbincat

Platinum Supporting Member
But I understand that mistakes happen. It’s their time to make it right, and if they do, people will know it too and that is good for PRS.
This is what they don't understand. They fail to accept the privilege to make things right. Customer service issues are an unwelcome distraction. Ain't no body got time for that.

ZENTISH

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Ivandolz, You have a polite way of expressing yourself, you need to reach down inside and let the monster come out and play!!
Make a call to someone higher up then who you are dealing with and unload on them, tell them you will no longer buy their product if you aren't made whole on this, and also will post this email exchange on every guitar forum on the web.
If you can find out how to e-mail Paul, you should, and tell him to look at this thread.
Squeeky Wheel Gets The Grease!

Good Luck with this, TISH

ivandolz

Just to keep you on the loop, the guitar arrived a week ago, but the "sales manager" is out of the office for a few days, and he will evaluate the guitar once he returns. THey didn't tell me when...

My luck with this issue is the worse.

ivandolz

Believe it or not, for this offered "second evaluation", its been 16 days since arrival and still no assesment. On the "first" evaluation it took them 5 days.

Regarding being right, wrong, what is deserved from customer service of a $5,500 guitar, guarantee cover or whatever, the experience on all this up to know can only being described as horrible.

Quick summary;

- I think that my 2018 $5,500 guitar has some defect on paint as it is peeling on some parts, I talk to PTC of PRS and they ask to send the guitar.
- They evaluate and say it is because of heavy use and it will not be covered, asking $1900 for fixing it. After my protests and my explanation that the part that is peeling is a defect and that the guitar was not heavy used, they decide to repair it for free.
- after 100 days I receive the guitar, and instead of a refin or a pro repair, I get a very subpar work, and my guitar is even received with pen marks on it, not even cleaned or checked.
- After all the protests and proving them that I bought 5 PRS in the last 3 years, they offer a second evaluation, this time made by the sales manager. I pay for sending the guitar for a second time.
- They get it the 2 of November, after a week I ask for it and say that the sales manager is out for a couple of days, today is the 18th and still no news.

I am clearly not important at all for PRS, neither a priority, no matter how much I spent on their products.

Trending Topics