PRS factory...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teakwoodbetz, May 7, 2005.

1. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

I am going on a tour of the factory this Wednesday and I just wanted to know any experiences and/or suggestions of stuff to check out while I'm there. Also, do they sell anything cool there? I don't mean t-shirts or anything like that; the Martin factory has headstocks that were defective for like 20 bucks, so I was thinking something along those lines?? Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

I don't know if they still do this, but from their web site you can get a free DVD with Mr. PRS himself describing how he formed PRS, how they make the guitars, etc. Very cool.

3. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I don't thing they sell any guitar peices, as a matter of fact, I think there is a rule against it. I have heard other tour attendees say that they saw a bandsawed body in the garbage and asked the tour guide if they could have it, and he gave it to them! But like I said, I think they are pretty strict about not letting any "parts" go out the door.

They will let you hold and take photos with guitars in the process of being made. Got some photos of my son holding a Dragon. Also ran into Paul twice on the tour. His office is right behind the front desk. I brought my backplate with me and Jim Cullen took it into the office and got it signed by Paul.

Enjoy yourself, it's a fun time!

Joe:)

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

A great tour.

I never got any guitar parts from a PRS tour. When I toured Martin they gave away the guitar holes for free.

They sell lots of interesting stuff there, but it is mostly of the trinket variety, although there is some useful stuff like PRS carry bags, strings and straps.

I'm hoping to get to the Taylor factory this coming week while we are visiting San Diego.

Have some crab cakes for me and be sure to stop in at Garrett Park while you are in the Annapolis area.

:cool:

5. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Unfortunately, the DVD has been pulled due to the Gibson lawsuit. It mentions the PRS Singlecut, which is now a no-no...

Jamie

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

If fact, I think if they discard any whole piece, like a guitar body, for any reason, they usually cut it in half so it's not usable (as is). Perhaps they were allowed to have the two halves from the trash (?).

7. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Sorry, they don't allow you to take pieces of guitars home...

[​IMG]

Well, maybe if you say Pretty Please... ;)

Jamie

P.S. I got this about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if they still allow it...

8. pugsfly

pugsfly Member

Think they are quite strict about this. Don't see these stuffs on eBay, unlike Gibson, where we see once in a while, "sliced-up" but epoxied and glued-back Les Pauls.

9. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Occasioally, a headstock or a neck that's been hacked up will show up on e-bay. There's no chance of ptting this guitar back together. The neck pocket's been cut out, along with the slice job...

Jamie

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Oh no! :eek: Should have at least put that one in the SE line.

Enjoy the tour.
    Greg

11. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

I just want to know who plays the tele and strat in the background. Is it just me or is the perspective a bit skewed on those things?

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Now there's a job I'd be good at.

13. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

lol.

Thanks for your replies, I'm really looking forward to it.

14. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

I went on the tour aobut 3 years ago. Well, sort of. I was visiting my inlaws in Northern Virgina and I decided that I'd try to drive to Annapolis for the tour. So I called them up and they said they only tours certain days at a specific time. Well It just so happened that one there was one 2 hours from when I called. They also said they like to know 2 weeks in advance if you are coming so they can plan ahead. But I managed to talk them into it. So I jumped in the car and off I went. I made it just in time. But when I walked in the door and told them I was there for the tour the girl that I talked to didn't know it but the tour was canceled that day. Bust since I was there all the way from Oklahoma they arranged a personal tour for me. Very cool. SO I went around with the tour guide and she showed me everything. It was very cool. Too much to put here. We walked past her office on the way back up front and she had all kinds of guitar pieces from marketing. I asked for a bottom horn section and se gave it to me. Very cool. I tried to get a neck but it wasn't happening. Anyway, it was wortht he trip. I don't have a PRS but I do have the bottom horn from one. :)

15. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

Hey just got back from the tour a little while ago. I really want to buy a PRS now... Really sweet tour, there were only four of us walking around and basically no one working so we had the place to ourselves, almost. Couldn't find any cut up guit peices laying around or in the trash, sadly. At the end of the tour we were looking at some of the recently finished guitars and the dude pulled a private stock out that had just been built for dave navarro, looked pretty wild. It was totally painted white and I couldn't help but think what a waste of gorgeous wood that was... oh well.

I'd recommend the tour to anyone remotely interested in guitars and/or wood work in general, it's a really cool place with some really friendly people.

16. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

Hey I forgot to ask...

There was an old Mesa Boogie head that gets used to test all of the finished PRS's; the tour guide said that Santana gave that to Paul a while back, but didn't know much else about it. any info?