• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS Guitar Choice Help!

ArdaD

Firstly, I'm not a native English speaker so please dont mind me and correct me if I take long or make mistakes =)

Here's the thing;

I'm buying a PRS in a week or two, probably a Custom 24. But there are two other models that keep tempting me: DGT and 513. I know all these are completely different instruments. What I'm searching for is basically a swiss knife but with a better corkscrew =)

What I want is;

- bulky, voluminous, beefy and silent humbucker pups (not necessarily modern or too high gain!) that feel like real humbuckers (not like high output singles) and that go close enough to single coils when split (a tiny bit of fender-like chime would do like 513). I'm a session musician so I basically play pretty much everything. Classical, progressive, hard rock, blues, jazz, fusion, funk, even post-rock at times.

-Good split tones for versatily and acoustic simulation compatibility (honestly, humbuckers dont work with acoustic simulation units AT ALL). That's why DGT and 513 are tempting.

- I havent played a DGT but I do know that David Grissom has hell of a tone! What bugs me is; are the pups too vintage that if you bulk up on gain they wont handle the hum? And are those 2 volume controls as effective as one master volume? I use the volume pot A LOT and I prefer one master volume control bcs it cleans up more! You hear the difference even if you turn it a tiny bit whereas with guitars that have 2 volume controls like Les Pauls for instance, you hardly hear any change when you turn the volume down until you're near the end and I hate that. Are the volume pots of DGT suffer from same issue?

-neck profile is not important at all. Over the years, having played a huge variety of guitars, I got used to the fact that none of them feel perfect in my hands (probably because I have extremely long hands). They're all different anyway so I don't have a specific neck profile that I got used to. A guitar isnt supposed to be easy to play anyway.

-number of frets isnt the most important thing although I would prefer 24 frets. And I dont really feel bad if the pups are positioned differently becsuse of that. =))

So that's it... I don't know if all these make sense but I do hope to find some answers. Thanks a lot for your answers beforehand =)

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
based on what you've written I would suggest a p24 over any of the options you mentioned in your post. It has a built in piezo for the acoustic tones you are looking for and it's split tones are really nice as well. If this isn't something you would consider, out of the options you mentioned I would say DGT. GREAT split tones... Good luck man! PRS makes some of the best guitars on the planet!

ArdaD

Thanks for the quick responses! I've already considered P24 option but the thing is, the retail store in my country is still selling models from 2011/2012. P24... well, I'm still waiting for P22 =D considering P24 has just been released , I think it's not gonna be any time soon that I'll be able to get my hands on one. =( speaking of trem models of course. I forgot to mention that trem is a must for me.

Last edited:

JDutch

based on what you've written I would suggest a p24 over any of the options you mentioned in your post. It has a built in piezo for the acoustic tones you are looking for and it's split tones are really nice as well. If this isn't something you would consider, out of the options you mentioned I would say DGT. GREAT split tones... Good luck man! PRS makes some of the best guitars on the planet!
Agreed. I think the P24 would be the best option for you. If you decide that you don't want 24 frets, PRS also makes a P22.

I, personally, prefer the DGT to the CU24, because I don't like 24-fret guitars and because the DGT pickups are my favorite pickups (not just out of PRS pickups, but out of all pickups). However, the 57/08s and 59/09s also are very good pickups. I also really, really enjoy the DGT's 2 volumes knobs that allow you to blend the pickups.

I've played the 513, and while I think it's a very cool concepts, I didn't like the humbucker sounds. 513, IMO, is a guitar with single coil pickups that can simulate humbucker tones, whereas the DGT, CU24, P22 and P24 are all humbucker equipped guitars that can simulate single coil sounds. You have to decide which type of sound is most important to you.

That being said, they're all great guitars. You just have to pick which one is the best for you, then buy the other ones later!

csscp

513 is a cool concept, however you should know that you'll be stuck with the stock pickups. That's something I would avoid at all costs as tone is a matter of taste and taste is subject to change anytime.

DGT is a class in itself. It is the pinnacle of versatility with character. Don't worry about the responsiveness of the volume controls; if they are not up to your taste and needs, you could change the pots although it is very unlikely that you'll need to change them. Also, having two separate volume controls is almost like having a second amp IMO!

ArdaD

You just have to pick which one is the best for you, then buy the other ones later!
Haha! Truer words were never spoken!

513 is a cool concept, however you should know that you'll be stuck with the stock pickups. That's something I would avoid at all costs as tone is a matter of taste and taste is subject to change anytime.

DGT is a class in itself. It is the pinnacle of versatility with character. Don't worry about the responsiveness of the volume controls; if they are not up to your taste and needs, you could change the pots although it is very unlikely that you'll need to change them. Also, having two separate volume controls is almost like having a second amp IMO!
You're very right, the reason that I prefer one master volume is only the responsiveness. Although usually I end up gigging with 2 volume control guitars. My current guitar is a Les Paul.

About the pups, I dont think I'll ever change the pups of a PRS. IMO a PRS should remain as is. Maybe that's because when I'm buying high end instruments, I tend to be kind of a purist :D You may go to a shop and try pedals or whatever but you cant try pickups without actually buying them. You dont know how you'll end up. Sometimes even the best pups might resonate bad on your guitar. It's very case dependant.

sleepingtiger

Of those models, the only one I've owned is a Cu24, but if you want 6 totally useable tones, I would suggest a Mira Korina, which would only be available used, or NOS if you can find one. The split sounds are great, as well as the bucker tones. A 408 IS very enticing, but I haven't tried one yet.

Tony

Deathmonkey

I have 3 Custom 24s (including a brand new 2013), which I love, but I just bought a DGT, and I far prefer it. It has a thicker body, fatter pickups, and overall a darker, thicker tone. I have no problem using it for liquid high gain, just adjust the pickups. They have a new pot, I believe, that sounds great when rolled off. I've noticed no real difference with the CU24. The DGT also has larger frets, which I prefer, but that's also up to your preference as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom