• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS guitars and age of player poll....

PRS Guitars and my age

• I am over 50 and like PRS guitars

Votes: 323 31.6%
  • I am under 50 and like PRS guitars

Votes: 427 41.7%
  • I am over 50 and dislike PRS guitars

Votes: 110 10.8%
  • I am under 50 and dislike PRS guitars

Votes: 163 15.9%

• Total voters

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m a boomer and I used to dislike PRS guitars because I thought their pickups were absolutely dreadful. However, with the arrival of the 57/08’s, 58/15’s and 58/15 LT’s I’ve changed my mind. I currently have a CU24, a SC245, a Stripped 58, a McCarty 594. All of the PRS’s I have are great sounding guitars built with a high degree of craftsmanship and build quality.

My favorite guitars are Les Paul’s and I prefer to use them for gigging. However, I often play with another guitarist who usually uses a Les Paul so I’ll bring a PRS or a Tele in order to have some tonal variation between the two of us. And when he occasionally brings a Strat I’ll bring a Les Paul for the same reason. I also like PRS’s because they have excellent tuning stability and they record very well. Plus I simply like having a little variety in my guitar collection, which mainly consists of Gibson’s.

King Loudness

I'm 25 currently. I played PRS guitars pretty well exclusively from age 19-22 while I was in college and gigging with various cover bands. I still like the guitars but don't own any currently as I've gone back to playing Gibsons, as well as getting some great Fender style guitars made by Danocaster, and Helm Custom Guitars. I originally went to PRS as I was in need of a lighter guitar than what I was using at the time (Suhr Modern w/maple cap, '70s Les Paul Custom, and a Yamaha SBG1820). For a long time I had a goldtop DGT that was my #1, and throughout those years I had numerous others (408, McCarty solidbodies/hollowbodies, Cu22s, Cu24s, Mira, Standard 24... etc) to supplement it. They're great guitars but don't really fit what I'm doing musically these days.

W.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
35, and have bought two within the last 12 months. Being a kid of the 90's and a Rush fan, seeing Alex Lifeson with a CE made me think PRS guitars were really cool. I got a little older and started seeing the Nu-Metal guys playing them, and they felt less special. Through my 20's, I was honestly ambivalent, I knew they existed, but didn't follow them. Then I played a Silver Sky... it all made sense, everything about the attention to detail, it just clicked for me. I knew it wouldn't be long before I got another one. The only real gap in my collection was a solidbody hardtail humbucker guitar, and my new McCarty filled that void really nicely.

I think PRS gets a bad rap because they were pioneers in making highly ornate guitars, and they are an easy target for push back against that, or for being pricy, or not having "soul" whatever that means. I opened my mind a bit, discovered that they scratch an itch for me, and really do have a heightened level of respect for Paul.

COYS

Bought my first PRS in my 30s and have loved them ever since.

I like Gibson for certain things personally, but I feel like they without question have the oldest customers.

Reactions: Tag

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
36 here.

I loved the PRS body shape and some of the finishes since I was a teenager. I dig a lot of the sounds I hear from pro PRS players. I have gone in and out of GAS for them many times over the years, and shopped plenty.

I still haven't played one that fit or spoke to me more than the Ibanez guitars I have bought instead. The only ones that came close were the early CE24s.

rockin robbie

Silver Supporting Member
I am 63 and love PRS guitars.I have had many Les Pauls, and the workmanship along with Not staying in tune and heavy , I switched to PRS guitars and have not looked back. I now own a 2015 Artist McCarty with an ebony neck, and only weighs 7.2 lbs. I did have to change the bridge pickup to a Wolfetone Mashallhead. It sounds amazing.

TheSmeeze007

36 years old right here.

Picked up a used 2000s swamp ash special several years ago and I sold it. Decent guitar, but kind of meh, and super heavy. Recently purchased a brand new DGT. It’s an excellent guitar. I’ve never had Gibson or fender custom shop guitars, but I have had production models from these brands, along with owning a couple of suhrs and a Friedman vintage t. The quality of the core line DGT I have is just as good as anything I’ve ever played. I bought the DGT because it seemed to be a versatile guitar that was sort of in between a Gibson and a fender. I love it, along with the fret access of the PRS double cut design, and the PRS trem system . I appreciate the company overall, because I think Paul’s original doublecut design is fairly innovative. I love that the founder of the company is still hands on with everything and the face of the brand.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
I used to compare them to other makers and that can be frustrating and unfair. Just like comparing two kids. They’re different.

Now that I have all my bases covered with ideal representations of various guitars, I can better appreciate PRS for what they are, without comparing them to others.

I love my current PRS based on its quality, feel, playability, light weight, neck, and versatility. It checks all boxes — and it’s OK that it doesn’t sound exactly like other guitars (at least for me).

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Silver Supporting Member
I'm 40 and they're my favorite guitars. I bought my first one when I was 21. A Custom 24 which I unfortunately had to sell due to financial difficulties. Now I own four of them. A P24, Stripped '58, Limited Edition SC Semi-hollow 594, and an Akerfeldt SE. Ironically I bought a pair of tan pants this weekend. However it's safe to say I'll never be a lawyer or a dentist or even hold a degree.

therhodeo

34 and like most other brands, it depends completely on the guitar. Some I would absolutely play and some I absolutely would not.

Reactions: Tag

44 and feeling it

Owned 1 in 1989 when i was 19, a custom 24 jade green then sold it and bought another in 1999, another custom 24. Swapped pups out numerous times, then sold it. Love the looks but the tones not so much.

I did play a 594 single cut a few months back that played and sounded really good. Also Mayer PRS that was nice. Almost bought it. Prefer Gibsons and Fenders though. So the answer to the question for me is they appeal less to me over the years for playing but they look great as ever.

rawkguitarist

I've dug PRS's since I was about 20 years old. I'm 46 now. I do like them and think they're putting out some of the best production guitars available today. People make a lot of assumptions about the guitars *and* players (see above) that aren't true. My first really nice guitar was an emerald green Custom 22 when I was 24 and really couldn't afford it. But its a great memory going to pick it up with my new wife on a Friday night.

I have other guitars that I play and dig more than my now single PRS. But my wife got me a 2001 McCarty Rosewood for my college graduation that's a fine guitar. I just so happened to play it this morning.

Silent Sound

I'm in my 40's and have owned my McCarty since I was in my late 20's. To be honest, I never thought of that brand as being age or genre specific. To me, it was always more like Fender or Gibson than Jackson or Gretsch in that respect. I could see the price point being so high that it would keep some younger buyers away from it, but 20 years ago, it was hard to find good, professional quality gear, cheap (especially without the ubiquitous-ness of today's internet). So if you wanted a nice guitar, you saved up. I saved up for years for mine on my minimum wage job. Of course, that was back before cell phone and home internet bills became mandatory, and housing, health insurance, and automobiles were cheaper compared to the average wage. These days, I can barely fathom a time when a Mustang or Camaro was affordable to a teenager.

jacklickson

I’m 42 and have owned a McCarty Soapbar, a McCarty Trem, a Swamp Ash Special, a CE22, an SE Mike Mushok Baritone, and a Mira. The Mushok was junk - returned it after two days. Was so soft and unstable. The Mira lasted a week - completely unstable neck joint. The others were decent, just never bonded with them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom