PRS guys: Question about Paul's Guitar vs. the 408

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Apr 15, 2015.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Aside from some cosmetic differences with inlays and perhaps finishes, I'm seeing these guitars as pretty close to one another in terms of specs.

Can anyone tell me, tonally, how they might be different? Both have very similar and almost identical electronics, with the Paul's Guitar appearing to have a narrower bridge pickup. Toggles are different between the two models, maybe different fretboards, but that's all I can determine.

Any info and pics would be most appreciated!!

2. Ahsu7

Ahsu7 Silver Supporting Member

I think Paul's guitar has a brass inserts in the bridge, which should make it a bit more bright

3. Faded

Faded Member

Tonally not too much different. Theres more tonal variation in individual pieces of wood than one having brass bridge inserts or not. PG will have a more focused bridge pickup.

Toggle as opposed to blade switching is really the biggest functional difference. I much prefer the toggle switching.

4. skhan007

OK thanks. I suppose it comes down to aesthetics, if these guitars have very few differences. I think the Paul's Guitar is one cool looking fiddle with the brush stroke bird inlays. I haven't seen one with neck binding, which would look very good, in my opinion.

5. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Yes, the biggest difference would be the narrow bridge pickup and the special brass inserts bridge if you were to get the hardtail version. It's safe to say the 408 would probably do a bit better if you also play with highgain, I can play dream theater stuffs fine on my 408.
    If you love PRS guitars in general the 408 or PG is definitely worth checking out.

6. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Both are fantastic guitars and similar in many respects. Of the many I've played, I ended up buying two Paul's ;)
    Both with Brazilian boards....
    Obligatory pics to get the juices flowing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grausch, simon_62 and sausagefingers like this.
  7. skhan007

OK, where is the "Add to Cart" button?? I think I'd be beyond happy with either one of those!! What kind of fretboard wood were used on yours? I think the artist package specs change from year to year.

8. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Aesthetics aside... They really are incredible guitars.... So many sonic possibilities ;)

9. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

The 408 is a bit beefier on the bridge pickup. That's the biggest difference I found. Both are incredible, though. I played examples of each yesterday.

10. EricatWillcutts

EricatWillcutts Member

Both are great guitars, but the bridge pickup on the 408 has more wallop.This is a very significant distinction.

11. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Paul's guitar also doesn't come with a Pattern Thin neck option. It only comes with the Pattern regular (which is a deal breaker for me, I would probably have bought a Paul's guitar a few months back if it had Pattern thin as I much prefer those).

12. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

MY 408 HAS A BLADE SWITCH (NOT TOGGLE) - and it has a tremolo (whammy) bridge, not a stop tailpiece. My color is "Lemondrop" which shows the natural woodgrain but in more of a sunburst pattern (see avatar)