PRS has Lunar Ice Silver Sky listings removed from Reverb

Edoardo_P

Just heard it though the gravepine

EDIT: my 2 cents (cos inb4 "artificial scarcity" and "what the market will bear")

- Allegedly (see the embedded video), PRS got involved.
So... They don't like this game as much as Rolex does.

The way I see it, PRS just want their fans to have "something cool" for a few hundred bucks over a vanilla Silver Sky.
It looks like they never intended this thing to blow out of proportion like it did.
They thought that doubling the production number to 1000 for this run would suffice to make the point clear.
They were wrong, because a bunch of idiots didn't get it and are trying to scalp more than 10 grand off of a Silver Sky.

- Silver Sky scalpers look like just dumb wannabes to me.
They are the ones blowing this thing out of proportion, not "the market".
The 2020 "1 of 500" Nebula Silver Sky has been sitting on Reverb at €7500 for a whole year, and it's now down at €5000 brand new!!! It means that your "rich" collectors either already own one (which is likely), or just don't care that much about PRS limited runs!!!

Now it's 2021, the new "collection" has come out, too many 2020 Nebula are sitting on Reverb and too many idiots are asking north of $12000 for a 2021 "[?] of 1000" Lunar Ice Silver Sky that hasn't been shipped yet! These prices have absolutely nothing to do with what the market will bear.

It's like listing your Tube Screamer on Reverb for 1000$ and waiting for "that one idiot" forever.

My 2cents

Last edited:

Edoardo_P

At any rate, I think PRS did a good thing. They try not to call it on themselves by doubling the production of these "limited" runs. How desirable can 1000 brand new guitars be?

But that didn't stop the smartasses trying to resell a yet-to-be-made $2500 guitar on ebay for $15000.
I hope tens of these idiots end up with a sitting guitar they can't even play.

thornie

Silver Supporting Member
They were removed due to a literal reading of the Reverb rules. Namely, that you cannot sell pre order items on their marketplace. This is hardly a strike against scalpers. They'll just move these back to Reverb when they get the guitars in hand and Reverb won't do a damn thing about it.

Edoardo_P

They were removed due to a literal reading of the Reverb rules. Namely, that you cannot sell pre order items on their marketplace. This is hardly a strike against scalpers. They'll just move these back to Reverb when they get the guitars in hand and Reverb won't do a damn thing about it.
Do you mean re-sell preorder items?

Or do you mean that even dealers cannot sell stuff they don't have in hand?

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
At any rate, I think PRS did a good thing. They try not to call it on themselves by doubling the production of these "limited" runs. How desirable can 1000 brand new guitars be?

But that didn't stop the smartasses trying to resell a yet-to-be-made $2500 guitar on ebay for $15000.
I hope tens of these idiots end up with a sitting guitar they can't even play.
limited? that is a mass production guitar with another finish, isn't it?

GreenKnight18

I'm going to guess that you don't follow 'sneaker culture' that @Benz2112 mentioned-- but basically that is the life blood essence of it. One of the most popular shoes of all time, Air Jordan 1s, have been around since 1985. Nike will introduce 'limited' colors all the time and when they get the combo just right people lose their minds. They do this with all their popular models. Stuff is 'sold out' all the time and it's completely manipulated.

Pedal makers and now guitar companies are starting to figure it out. I suspect this is going to be the way for a lot of builders going forward. (Bill Finnegan had this formula with his Klon pedals from the get go. :D (and I say that as a Klon pedal fan))

Edoardo_P

Nobody here thinks they are masterbuilt instruments.

Yes, when you paint 500 mass-produced guitars with a tacky "fuel spill" finish, those 500 "fuel spill" colored guitars become a limited run.

To be fair, as much as I dislike the model and those tacky finishes: PRS has never pretended those 500 guitars to be anything more than what they actually are, and did price them accordingly.

This time, to their merit, they doubled the production of the fuel spill guitars and priced them just as fairly, arguably to prevent another "2020 fuel spill finish frenzy" to happen again in 2021.

They failed.

Edoardo_P

I'm going to guess that you don't follow 'sneaker culture' that @Benz2112 mentioned-- but basically that is the life blood essence of it. One of the most popular shoes of all time, Air Jordan 1s, have been around since 1985. Nike will introduce 'limited' colors all the time and when they get the combo just right people lose their minds. They do this with all their popular models. Stuff is 'sold out' all the time and it's completely manipulated.

Pedal makers and now guitar companies are starting to figure it out. I suspect this is going to be the way for a lot of builders going forward. (Bill Finnegan had this formula with his Klon pedals from the get go. :D (and I say that as a Klon pedal fan))
My question is, who the F buys this $hit?

I mean, I can stand behind a $3000 strat, and I can even stand behind a pair of $500 sneakers.

But even if I liked those guitars or those sneakers to death, why would I donate a 300% markup to some random smartass on ebay? Oh this guy's placed an order while I was asleep and only wants 10 grand for it, better act quick!!!
Just why?

Last edited:

Boundcustom

I have received over 1000 emails or fb messages asking if we had any for sale at my shop. Some of the stories about why a person thinks they deserve to get one are amazing. A few big influencers even. The biggest issue with the presale as a dealer is that I have zero idea of when it will arrive. I am going to roll a lottery when they come in and just let those numbers pulled buy when I actually have each one in hand. Everyone wants to pay their rent with a Tickle Me Elmo.

Trending Topics