1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS HB Replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prsnstrat, Jul 31, 2006.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi all, can anyone recommend a great set of HB's to replace my stock McCarty pup's? I like them...but they are a bit too sonically constricted...for lack of a better term. Know what I mean? I'm looking for a dynamic, open, articulate pickup with nice highs, lows, and not too many mids... the McCarty is very mid-heavy on it's own...something that is HB at heart (powerful) but with some of the good tonal characteristics of say a p90. I have tried the Z-90s and while they are an amazing pickup, they didn't mate well with the McCarty.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Rio Grande BBQ or the Bareknuckle...? Thanks in advance.

Brandon

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Look at the WCR range. Darkbursts would be a good place to start.

3. Felipe

Felipe Member

WCR are way to go. I'd say Crossroads, but Darkbursts would work.

I don't understand the HB. They used to come with regular McCarty p/u, while the Archtops had McCarty Archtop pickups. Since the discontinued the Archtops, the Hollowbodies are coming with the old Archtop pickups, which are way too low output and very bright.
    The regular McCarty pickups would work much better.

Although almost every humbucker guitar I have has WCRs, on my HBI I have a pair of Imperials from Lollar. On my jazz gig, people never congratulate ne enough about the beautiful tone that comes out of that guitar! Lollars are also amazing pickups. His Tele pickups are wonderful!

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Is this a solidbody McCarty? I'd look at either WCR or Wolftone myself. I like the Stock McCarty pups, but they are different.

Hollowbody, tough call.

FWIW I'm NOT a fan of the Rio BBQ bucker. I like most all of their single coils, but that BBQ is just too much for me. All mids and no definition.

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

"Over here" most of my sales of Haeussel HBs can be accounted to PRS owners having the store swap pups they're generally not satisfied with.
    McCarties and Archtops seems the most prone to the swap; I'm no PRS expert so I coudn't possibly say why this is.

YMMV, etc

Ciao,

JJ

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I've had 59's, JB/Jazz, and JB/Jazz with Alnico II mags. I'm putting the stock Dragon II's back in. The duncans just got muddy when i turned the guitar volume down. I might try WCR's because i hear so many good things about them, but at +300 a pop and no way to just try them out, I don't see the point yet.

BTW I liked the Dragon II's just looking for the greener grass on the other side of the fence.

7. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I put Rio's in mine and they're head and shoulders better than the stock PRS pups.

8. lbw

lbw Member

Before you swap out the pickups (a pain on a HB), please try:

- Adjusting the height of the pickups

- Removing the covers from the pickups

You'll be surprised what a difference this makes (especially removing the covers which can be done with a carefully used sharp knife)

9. MCG

MCG Member

I have Duncan Seth Lovers in my McCarty and so far am very happy them. They don't tap to single coil, but that's fine with me. The Seths are more open and brighter than the mc pu's.

MCG