PRS HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by terrapin, Feb 28, 2012.

1. terrapin

terrapin Member

I have been offered this guitar in a trade for a nice acoustic. I am very tempted, but have little to no experience with PRS guitars. Can you folks help educate me on the feel, comfort, sound and quality to this particular PRS. Are trem's common on these? I thought they were mostly hardtails. Any hel os appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

That appears to be a McCarty Goldtop Soapbar Trem.

It's a nice, American made model that features P-90 soapbar pups instead of the humbuckers mainly used in this model.

That's not a bad thing... if you like P-90's.

I'd guess it's from the late 90's since it seems to include the original PRS designed locking tuners... some hated these, some didn't... you could always swap them out if you didn't like them.

Overall, it's a nice, if somewhat unique guitar.

I personally like goldtops, but they don't feature the maple top, as a non-goldtop would... they still have a maple top over a mahogany body, you just don't see it. I like the McCarty shape and style.

I don't know if its worth more or less than your acoustic, but its a cool axe!

Good luck deciding.

M

3. David Garner

David Garner Member

A McCarty Trem with Soapys? I think that's an awesome guitar, personally.

I don't know what it's worth, and I don't know how badly you want to trade that acoustic. But if I had one I wasn't playing and wanted an introduction to PRS, that would be a good start. I prefer the DGT personally, but the McCarty with soapbars is a very nice guitar.

4. terrapin

terrapin Member

As you can see in this pic it is a Maple capped top........What are the necks like?

[​IMG]

5. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

McCarty's have more than one neck shape option, but the "standard" is a wide-fat I believe. It's a fairly chunky, but easy to play neck. Neck preference is so personal it's hard to know if someone else will like it... but I'm a big fan of the McCarty necks that I've played.

If you decide to pass on this guitar... or get it and decide it's not for you... PM me, (I'm in San Diego), I may be interested in it.

M

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

I was going to say they are usually wide fat as well, but I don't know the other options. If you ask the owner, you should be able to ascertain which neck it has and then maybe find one at a local shop with the same neck size.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

It's most likely a wide-fat neck, which was standard on this model.

They are fat in the center, but don't have much of a shoulder, which I love. There is girth, but you can still wrap your thumb around it.

It is the only bigger neck I've tried that I like, actually.

Quality-wise you cannot go wrong w/ a PRS. They build great guitars and have fantastic QC. It's really a question of whether you like soapbars and the neck shape.

8. fairlydangerous1

fairlydangerous1 Member

Had a couple wide/fat and I love them. Don't think Gibson chunky 59. Wide/fat for PRS still wasn't very big for most other guitar makers. IMHO
    I have been eyeing that exact guitar and as long as you like the P90 sound it is a wonderful guitar.

9. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Trem is very unusual on a McCarty much less one with P90s. Super cool guitar.

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Unless your acoustic is a Martin from the 40's, I'd do the trade. It's a great guitar and if you don't like the P-90s (personally I do like them), there are humbuckers that will fit in that slot.

11. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

They're top drawer guitars, the only thing I can add to whats been said is that underneath that gold top lurks a beautiful flame maple top, you can see that from the flame showing in the faux binding, as PRS's generally feature masked natural binding.

The P90's on the PRS's are fantastic, the neck is the sweetest pup I have ever heard and the bridge can give you everything from chiming cleans to downright angry when its plugged into a cranked tube amp...

The necks are gorgeous, with all carves being comfortable to play, be it wide fat, wide thin or the later pattern necks.

If you want a quality electric and your acoustic isn't something really special.. then I would grab this in PX

Oh and if you email PRS with the serial number and ask they will be able to give you the full details on the guitar, I found them extremely helpful

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

pretty sure that used to be mine. if it is, it's a great guitar. the neck was very close to a wide/fat. the p90s are very hot and fat sounding. very close to humbuckers. obviously, the trem adds a nice "zing" to the tone. i'm pretty sure i sold it to pcad way back when.

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

That's nice ..

probably worth between 1200 and 1900 on the used market IMHO .. hard to really say in this economy

If you're acoustic is worth over $2K used I'd want some cash with the trade if it was me.

If your acoustic is somewhere in the $1500 range used I'd call it a fair even trade.

If a PRS expert disagrees with my figures .. then I'd consider changing them.

:banana

14. terrapin

terrapin Member

My acoustic is worth $2000 and he is giving me $200? I think I will do it!!!

15. fairlydangerous1

fairlydangerous1 Member

If your happy with the the deal that is all that counts. Guitars are never worth more than someone will pay you for it. I have had several guitars worth less than I thought. Enjoy that beautiful gold top and don't look back. Cheers.

16. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

McCarty Trem Soapbars are very very uncommon! Great guitars!

17. BuGGFX

BuGGFX Member

Dude, you're gonna be so glad you did. :aok

18. lshines

lshines Member

+1 to this. The PRS soapbars are now being recognized for how so good they sounded, and this g'tar model is being pursued...go look at the Birds and Moons forum....ask 'em there what they think. Look out for the burglers coming to your place! If you like the tradition/look of goldtops, man, you're in like flint, as, unless this one has any issues (dings, etc.) this is one dam fine tone generator! If it wasn't gold (I don't know why I don't care for the gold guitars - just don't), and a double cut (I like single cuts) I'd be infront of your place stealing it from that guy......of course, if all you want to play is Woodie Guthrie......

19. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

If I remember right.....13 of those were made. Same specs as a McCarty, but with trem and P-90's. I sold one a couple years ago for around $2K

20. terrapin

terrapin Member

VERY cool. I am stoked. Not necessarily because the instrument is kinda rare, but that it is gonna be a very nice addition. I have two Strats and two Teles......and NOW a nice PR'S on the way! BTW, it was made in 2000 and I am assured it does not have a mark on it. Has all original hang tags, receipt...