1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS KL33 --- Just picked one up!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LVC, Feb 19, 2009.

1. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Picked up one of the new PRS KL33 guitars. Beautiful Karina -- light weight 7.8 lbs.

At first I did not like it --- the stock Mira pickups are not to my liking at all.

So before I gave up on the guitar -- I put new pickups in it and a new cap.

Pickups: wolftone Dr. vintage (coil split)
    Cap: replaced the .03 cap that came with the guitar with a .022/630VDC Copper Foil Paper In Oil cap.

Man oh man did I hit on a winning formula :banana:banana--- it is a thing of beauty. :banana:banana Guitar goes from an absolutely beautiful jazzy woody almost acoustic tone, to balls to the wall rock. With the coil tap (replaced tone control pot with a push/pull pot) -- it gets a very nice single coil tele/strat tone that is clean and funky.

I honestly have to say -- that this guitar has turned out to be one of the best sounding PRS guitars I have ever owned (and I have owned my share of high end PRS wood).

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

Glad it's working out for you, I tried a KL33 at our local PRS dealer and like you I found the pickups were mid-range heavy, I'd love to hear yours with the new pickups. The workmanship is second to none on the guitar I played.

3. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I really want to try one of thoke KL's, I've been having a huge love affair with korina as of late.

4. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I am being very polite with my Mira pickup comment -- but if you get a KL33 --- put in it a decent set of pickups and change the cap.

The guitar is outstanding.

I was just playing her through my Bludo :drool:drool

It loves the Dr. Vintage pickups.

5. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

6. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Will take some pictures of guitar and electronics cavity tomorrow.

7. GeraldCleveland

GeraldCleveland Member

Picked up a KL33 about three weeks ago. Mine has a two piece top and 57/08's. For a long time, my McKorina has been my #1. I thought it would stay that way for a long time to come. Well, now, the KL33 is quickly and unexpectedly becoming my #1. This guitar is outplaying everything I've got. It is so comfortable to play and it drips with tone. I've had it out on two gigs so far and on both occasions, I received comments about how great the tone is.

It's got a big fat neck, which is the real shocker for me. I've always steered clear of big fat necks. Never liked them, until now. The KL33 neck is super comfortable and very fast. Honestly, I am finding it somewhat uncomfortable to play my strats, mels, and PRS CU24. When I first got the McKorina, I thought the neck was a little fat, but I adjusted. Now, for the KL33 with a fatter neck to feel even more comfortable is just confusing to me.

Honestly, if you haven't done so, go check out the KL33. For me, it's a surprising find and a serious players instrument I can see hanging around in my collection for a very long time.

I've had three PRS 10 tops as well as a CU22 Artist. I love them all and still love the ones I have and will probably have many more. But, now that I've been there done that with the fancy tops, I have found a deep appreciation for the simply stated plain Korina guitars. My McKorina has the sunburst finish and the KL33 is plain. The korina is gorgeous on both and the tone is fabulous. Can't say enough good about these guitars.

Does anybody agree ?