PRS Lost its Cool??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jiffy_Jeff, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

PRS has never been hot amongst bands that have any kind of cool factor. They have their place for bands that make bro rock, nu metal and adult contemporary, I'm sure.

2. drugdetox

drugdetox Member

I am going to post this thread in the BaM forum, just to stir things up! Let's see what they have to say! I still think PRSi are not only "cool" but they sound as good as they look and have both the build quality and customer service to back them up.

3. somedude

somedude Member

Most of those bands help support my argument...

Fender and Gibson's use by crappy bands is offset by the likes of Page, Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Iommi, Hetfield, etc.

PRS doesn't really have that sort of classic imagry to fall back on. Most of their monumental rock moments have involved bands that are currently being backlashed against, so they're stuck advertising using guitarists like Tremonti and Navarro, who aren't exactly causing kids to rush out and start garage bands at the moment. Even their most well known endorsee doesn't help them all that much...

[​IMG]

4. Uma Floresta

I think they make some of the ugliest, gaudiest guitars out there. But there is an underground band that I like who I think get some great tones out of a PRS.

5. somedude

somedude Member

I'm not a fan of their 'prettier' finishes, but there was a black McRosie that I really wanted. Awesome guitar. Unfortunatly someone bought it the day before I did so I ended up with a Les Paul.

I was going to start saving up for another McRosie and have it custom ordered in black, but they they changed the guitar and I lost interest.

6. drugdetox

drugdetox Member

...for the ugliest and gaudiest guitars out there, you merely need to go to Edroman.com

7. drugdetox

drugdetox Member

QUOTE: "Fender and Gibson's use by crappy bands is offset by the likes of Page, Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Iommi, Hetfield, etc."

Anyone who believes that Slash actually plays a Gibson Les Paul is extremely naive and essentially ignorant with regard to the difference between celebrity endorsement and actual guitars played. The only thing that is "gibson les paul stock/original" is the name on the headstock. Slash's guitars are ghost built and only resemble a Les Paul in shape.

8. Uma Floresta

True. Or get a Carvin.

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

My '90 Custom was the perfect guitar for the cover band I was in, and the "cool" factor didn't mean squat to me. The Mil-Com trem is the most stable non-locker I have ever used and the rotary pickup selector got me in the ballpark for most every song we did, which ranged from 50s stuff to country to Billy Idol and GnR tunes.

10. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

In the end what's really "cool" is demonstrating to the audience that you can actually play the guitar (any guitar) rather than just "owning" one.

11. madscientist

madscientist Member

don't forget about Umphrey's McGee in the list of bands that use PRS

12. somedude

somedude Member

While accurate, that doesn't really matter as the average consumer is an uninformed buyer of whatever's fed to them... and what's fed to them is images of Slash playing a Les Paul.

13. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

wise words spoken here...

14. michaelscott

michaelscott Member

howdy!

long time lurker; i'm more of a reader than a poster, so take everything i say with a grain of salt...

it's interesting (and fascinating) to me what a HUGE role pride plays in threads like these.

seems like prs owners, or whatever the target brand happens to be, get all offended when someone rags on their precious instruments. i mean, it's a natural reaction... when someone says "hey nickelback uses those guitars, so they must all suck."

kinda makes you go ok, are you just saying that because it's the thing to say right now, or have you played one or several and they did, in fact, suck?

that being said, plenty of anti-prs folks have played plenty of them and the guitars just did NOT speak to them. that's cool, it happens.

but in the same vain, it seems like staunch gibson and fender or whatever other brand owners get all offended and go "God forbid a prs guitar actually SOUND and LOOK GOOD."

as if somehow a good sounding prs means their vintage (or new) gibsons and fenders are any less cool.

calm down, no one is saying that! prs will never replace gibson and fender; they're here to stay.

but DON'T automatically rag on prs AND prs owners simply because YOU associate them with a genre of music or band that you happen to despise, or with some form of rich snobbery (i've heard comments saying only doctors and lawyers can afford a prs- this is false, i put myself through college and bought one spring break of my freshman year... had to work myself to death for that) for that matter.

bottom line, if someone has prs guitar speak to them the way your lp or tele or strat or whatever speaks to you, what's it to you? if anything you should be glad for them!

we all know what awesome feeling it is when you find a guitar that seems to play itself when you hold it... i would dare to call that feeling "COOL." if that a prs does that for you, awesome, enjoy that! if a different guitar does that for you, equally as awesome and equally as enjoyable.

that said, i have one prs guitar, among les pauls, teles, etc. is it the end all of guitars for me? no, but it's a killer guitar! it's well made and it's versatile and it's unique. it does something different that the other guitars don't quite do, and each of the other guitars do something that the prs can't.

for ME, that's cool.

15. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

since when is someone in a christian group an authority on cool?

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

These threads where everybody has a need to say what is cool or hip about PRS, Fender, Gibson etc are childish. This is pure Harmony Central rubbish. I am not here to defend PRS, bit I have to chime in with my own impressions about some of these posts.

The funniest are the some of anti-PRS posters who are into "cool factor" issues. They appoint themselves as judges, and seemingly champion retro reissues and thrashed relics because they are the ones most fixated on their own perceived hipness and cool factor. They are the worst offenders in guitar vanity. They are focused on how they look, and what they play, over any real substantive issues. A few of these posters seem like total hypocrites to diss the looks of a PRS, while making way more of an effort to "look cool"... Ironic silliness.

Furthermore, some posters make statements about bands and artists who play PRS or any brand as if they are the most learned judges of what is good music. So, if you play modern metal or rock on a PRS you are apparently a lousy artist, but if you play garage rock or droning roots rock on an old relic axe with anti-pop decals you are a great artist. Yeah right.

Live and let live. Just play your guitar.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  17. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

IT doesn't get any cooler than David Crowder ...

but then he tends to play Andersons.

:wave

18. somedude

somedude Member

Or they're replying to a thread titled "PRS lost it's cool?" and trying to reply from a marketing standpoint, so undo the knot in your panties and try to approach this topic as a consumer instead of a gearhead on a boutique gear forum...

19. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I've never cared one whit who played what. About all that tells you is which manufacturer made the best offer of free gear, free gear plus money or free gear plus money plus other considerations.

The object of the exercise is always to get famous people to put your brand in the public eye and on camera, because the public is often far too ignorant and unsophisticated to judge what's good and what isn't. You gotta not only tell them, you gotta show them. Once the idea is in their head, then money ceases to be an object. "Eric Clapton plays Strats; I think EC is a guitar god; I wanna be a guitar god; therefore, I must buy a Strat, cost be damned."

Look at what Gibson gets for their guitars. Does anyone think for one minute that they could get as much for their products as they do if they had to compete on their own merits? I mean, their stuff is mediocre at best, and it goes down from there. Yet, they consistently sell Les Paul Customs for $3,500 or more.

PRS makes some damn fine instruments that meet or exceed anything else out there in quality, appearance, performance, playability and sound. If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

20. somedude

somedude Member

The problem is that all those things don't really matter, and for all the reasons you listed above. A guitar being well made doesn't make it cool. Having a picture of (insert rock star here) playing your guitar makes it cool.

As an example, imagine James Hetfield walked out on stage tonight with a PRS in his hands....

...and what every single guitar forum in the world would be talking about within minutes of the first cellphone picture posted on the internet...

...and what that would do to PRS sales withing a matter of hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.