• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS Mahogany Neck or Indian Rosewood?

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking at buying a PRS SC245 but am on the fence on which neck to get?
Mahogany body, no maple top, Brazilian fretboards and 59/09 covered pups on both guitars. One guitar has the Indian Rosewood neck and the other has Mahogany neck. A little price diff., but not much to sway me one way or the other. Both guitars are identical except the necks. Opinions? Thx

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
The feel of the rosewood neck is sublime. All things being equal I'd go for the rosewood.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
After owning my wood library McCarty 245 with the IRW neck, I doubt I'll ever own another PRS without it. Like kselbee said, it feels fantastic and I think it imparts a unique but positive effect tonally as well....seems to add clarity in the low end and a tad sweeter high end. Of course all of this is subjective.

archey

Rosewood does feel nice but I think mahogany is gonna give you a more traditional tone. Not that Rosewood sounds bad, just a little different. I think its hard to beat the sound of mahogany with a brazilian fretboard!

HarpBoy

I've owned an Ernie Ball Music Man with a rosewood neck for a couple of years now and absolutely love the feel of it. I'm not convinced that neck wood has a huge effect on sound (although lots of people will argue with me on that). But just for the marvelous feel of it, and the fact that it's somewhat unique and looks great is enough for me.

uncle dick

After owning my wood library McCarty 245 with the IRW neck, I doubt I'll ever own another PRS without it. Like kselbee said, it feels fantastic and I think it imparts a unique but positive effect tonally as well....seems to add clarity in the low end and a tad sweeter high end. Of course all of this is subjective.
Pretty much the same for me. McCarty std soapbar with IRW neck. The only surprising thing was how light it makes the neck. Might be an issue for some. Check the balance if you have the chance.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty much the same for me. McCarty std soapbar with IRW neck. The only surprising thing was how light it makes the neck. Might be an issue for some. Check the balance if you have the chance.
mmmmmm...McSoapy! I've wanted one forever!

Ape Factory

Any raw wood. All the way. Have a guitar with a Wenge raw wood neck and it's just sublime. Played a Music Man with rosewood, again, sublime. Makes it hard to play on anything with a finish.

jordanL

for me: Feel=rosewood, tone=mahogany
This,

I own 3 guitars with IRW necks - a McSoapy and 2 Melancons. IRw neck imparts a very specific tone, There's an evenness to the notes and a very gentla attack. The feel is sublime. Its very much a matter of personal opinion.

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like the Indian Rosewood neck is preferred so far! Thx for all of the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwi

Silver Supporting Member
After owning several PRS guitars with standard mahogany necks, I got to know an ME Quatro with the IRW neck. My notes:

The rosewood neck and board seem to do several things:

- Taut, very clear, piano-like lows from the low E, A, and D strings;
- Glassy high harmonics on the top end;
- Very quick attack on the note envelope. Notes don't bloom like they do with my mahogany necked PRS and other guitars. They explode off the fretboard.

I recently met Paul Reed Smith Himself at an appearance at a local store and bounced this impression off him.

"Is it my imagination, or is the attack on a rosewood neck a whole lot quicker?" I asked him. "Notes seem to really jump off the board."

"Oh, definitely," he said, "It's a much harder wood than mahogany, harder to work with. Yeah, it's got a quicker attack, you're absolutely hearing that," he said.

=K

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
After owning several PRS guitars with standard mahogany necks, I got to know an ME Quatro with the IRW neck. My notes:

- Very quick attack on the note envelope. Notes don't bloom like they do with my mahogany necked PRS and other guitars. They explode off the fretboard.

I recently met Paul Reed Smith Himself at an appearance at a local store and bounced this impression off him.

"Is it my imagination, or is the attack on a rosewood neck a whole lot quicker?" I asked him. "Notes seem to really jump off the board."

"Oh, definitely," he said, "It's a much harder wood than mahogany, harder to work with. Yeah, it's got a quicker attack, you're absolutely hearing that," he said.

=K
Wow! Great analogy! It's nice to hear what Mr PRS says himself. I've never owned a IRW neck but I have owned Mahogany. I think it's time to try something different! Thanks again!

vaibhavmittal

Where Everything is Music!
Silver Supporting Member

=K
I fully relate and agree with experience of RW necks :)

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Agree with what has already been said.
I love my rosewood and wenge necks!

If you don’t own one, I don’t think you will regret getting one.
Be careful though, they can be like potato chips ...

And OP, we expect to see pictures!

Rocco Crocco

Silver Supporting Member
I have never played a rosewood neck, but they look beautiful and I like the feel of bare or oiled necks so I would pick the rosewood.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I played a McCarty that had the IRW neck. That guitar had THE thickest Les Paul-like sound ever. Thick and woody. Very Gibson-sounding.

..........yet, whenever I've tried a Strat with a RW neck, I've preferred maple (they've sounded a bit off to me).

It's also my opinion that it's hard to go wrong with a PRS that has the mahogany body/neck combo - so, there's that too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom