• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

PRS McCarty 594 50's Wiring Mod?

I recently got a 594 and love the tone. However, when I roll the volume pots down it cuts a fair amount of treble. Would I just need to move the cap from the outside lug to the middle lug on the volume pots to make it 50's wiring? Hopefully that will allow me to retain some volume when reducing the volume on the pots.

Also, has anyone noticed that the splits don't really sound that different when engaged? I'm wondering if that's due to the resistor and if anyone has tried removing it?

Reactions: C-4

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I thought PRSs came with a treble retention circuit. Did they change this or is the McCarty different?

Lewguitar

All of my PRS guitars already have a factory standard180 pf. bright cap installed.

Does the McCarty not have one?

In any case, moving the tone control connection on the volume control to the middle terminal of the volume control (the output) or to the Hot of the output jack ( as Hamer used to do it) will accomplish the 50's mod.

I no longer like that sound though.

I think my guitars sound fuller and warmer and "nicer" with normal tone control wiring and I like the PRS 180 pf bright cap better.

All of my PRS guitars already have a factory standard180 pf. bright cap installed.

Does the McCarty not have one?

In any case, moving the tone control connection on the volume control to the middle terminal of the volume control (the output) or to the Hot of the output jack ( as Hamer used to do it) will accomplish the 50's mod.

I no longer like that sound though.

I think my guitars sound fuller and warmer and "nicer" with normal tone control wiring and I like the PRS 180 pf bright cap better.
The wiring diagram is here. https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2017/594_2017.pdf

I think I need to just move the cap to the middle lug of the volume and to the outside lug of the tone. Then ground the center lug of the tone. I'm just not totally sure and don't want to risk messing something up. I could try a bright cap, but I know I love the 50's wiring on my R8 so I figured it would be similar on the 594.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
I did it on my '97 McCarty.
The cap only needs to be moved to the vol. center(output) lug. The cap on the tone knob does not need to be changed.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Something is up with the wiring if you are losing treble when turning the volume down and if you are not noticing significant different tone when using the splits.

Something is up with the wiring if you are losing treble when turning the volume down and if you are not noticing significant different tone when using the splits.
Have you played a 594 or are you saying this based on experience with other guitars? I only ask because the wiring for the split now includes a resistor. It also uses modern wiring on the volume pots so it's somewhat expected to lose treble when you roll the volumes down.

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
Have you played a 594 or are you saying this based on experience with other guitars? I only ask because the wiring for the split now includes a resistor. It also uses modern wiring on the volume pots so it's somewhat expected to lose treble when you roll the volumes down.
Did you ever try 50's wiring or a treble bleed? I just acquired a 594 and I'm really missing the ability to roll my volume down without mud like I can on my LPs.

Did you ever try 50's wiring or a treble bleed? I just acquired a 594 and I'm really missing the ability to roll my volume down without mud like I can on my LPs.
I did not. I actually kind of got used to it and it's really not much different if at all than my R8 in terms of rolling the volume down. I still think about clipping the caps on the coil splits, but haven't taken the plunge.

C-4

I recently got a 594 and love the tone. However, when I roll the volume pots down it cuts a fair amount of treble. Would I just need to move the cap from the outside lug to the middle lug on the volume pots to make it 50's wiring? Hopefully that will allow me to retain some volume when reducing the volume on the pots.

Also, has anyone noticed that the splits don't really sound that different when engaged? I'm wondering if that's due to the resistor and if anyone has tried removing it?

I tried both a sc 594 and a dc 594 last week. On the neck pickup of the dc 594, I did not notice any sound difference splitting the neck pickup, only on the bridge.

On the sc594, I heard a distinct difference on the neck pickup when split.
I am in the process of ordering a ps sc 250 with sc 594 body and control layout. My dealer recommended a slightly stronger bridge pickup, so we will be using a 59/09, with a 58/15 LT in the neck. I fuklly expect to hear a difference when splitting the neck pickup.

I suggest calling PRS and asking them about your question before going in there, unless you know how to read the pots and resistors. Good Luck! :)

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
I did not. I actually kind of got used to it and it's really not much different if at all than my R8 in terms of rolling the volume down. I still think about clipping the caps on the coil splits, but haven't taken the plunge.
Thanks! I literally just got this 594, I probably just need to give it some time. I do kind of miss some of the idiosyncrasies of 50's wiring but maybe I'll get used to it. Other than that it's an awesome guitar.

Thanks! I literally just got this 594, I probably just need to give it some time. I do kind of miss some of the idiosyncrasies of 50's wiring but maybe I'll get used to it. Other than that it's an awesome guitar.
I actually decided to give it a week or two before cracking it open and i'm ultimately glad I did. YMMV, but I just realized that i needed to roll the volume down a little farther than on the 50's wiring. It also helps that I rarely use the tone controls.

I find that I'm playing the 594 and Custom24 more than any of my other guitars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Cheers!

LJD

Are you experiencing this treble loss playing quietly or in a band setting? I find it a non issue when playing loud.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom