PRS McCarty Action Adjustment

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by daacrusher2001, Dec 29, 2017.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Hey all...simple question - I recently bought a lightly used McCarty (2016) and after playing it for a couple of months I've decided I want to lower the action.

Do I start by simply turning the bridge screws? Anything to watch out for? Overall it plays pretty nicely, I'd just prefer the action to be a bit lower.

I saw the setup guide on the PRS site, it seems simple enough, but I figured I'd ask just in case I'm overlooking anything.

{Note: I have done many setups and adjustments on strats and teles, even Schecter with a Floyd - very familiar with most adjustments - I just never had a guitar with this particular type of bridge}

2. rosssurf

rosssurf Supporting Member

Set your neck relief first if it is needed. then screw down the bridge a little at a time.

Moby Dick and daacrusher2001 like this.
  3. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

and look for little set screws / locking nuts on the bridge.
    many replace the wraparound bridge with a tonepros (excellent)
    but if you forget it's locked, you'll shear it. special flat wrench and or allen key required.

daacrusher2001 likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

loosen the strings before you go turning the tailpiece studs and don't use a screwdriver! you'll quickly gouge up the stud slots that way.

it's a pain but you need to find a piece of something that fits in the slot but covers the whole length, so as not to chew up the stud.
    are you sure the action is high because the bridge is up too much? it might be the neck has too much curve or the nut slots are too high.

Cal Webway likes this.
  5. daacrusher2001

Thanks for the tip on the risk of a screwdriver damaging those stud slots. The PRS setup guide actually suggests using a quarter to turn the screws - I'll find the right thing to keep them from being damaged.

I haven't gone through everything yet. The nut slots and relief seem ok after some basic checks. The action is a bit higher than I want it from around the 10th fret and further up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Mark Kane likes this.
  6. rosssurf

rosssurf Supporting Member

you might wrap said quarter with a bit of tape to avoid marring it.

Cal Webway likes this.
  7. daacrusher2001

The action was way high...I made some adjustments last night - much better now. It was late so I'm going to recheck the relief - I think it might actually require a very small tweek but I want to measure when I'm more wide awake.

btw - the quarter didn't fit in the slot. I used a wide tipped screwdriver with electrical tape over the end, worked like a champ.