PRS McCarty - Best Years?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alpione, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

PRS has quality control and consistency nailed. It's one of the only names where you can confidently buy based on looks!

2. scotticus

scotticus Supporting Member

Huh?

I’m not a PRS owner and don’t know the minutia of their history, but I know this isn’t why the McCarty model exists. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote.

3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Rosewood neck feels amazing and has a low mid peak in the tone.
    Most people love them.

4. big mike

The old story was Grissom went to Paul after spending time on Dickey’s goldtop and says I want a guitar that does that.

Think I blew it and it was Duane’s tone but the catalyst was Dickey’s goldtop

superstratjunky likes this.
  5. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Interesting. I was just reading they may not need a finish because of the oil content and are very smooth. That would be great because sticky necks drive me nuts. 100% humidity at our outside gig last night. Ugh.

But they're also a little darker and the McCarty pickups are also considered to be a little dark. Hmm.

Lots of good info here and a few people have sent me amazing pics of their available McCartys. GAS is really peaking! o_O

6. big mike

It’s subtle. Not my thing tonally but many love them

If you don’t like the pickups just snag a set Seth Lovers and call it good

7. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Again, it all depends on what floats your boat... Some people like that bright, full & rich sound from early Les Pauls, some people don't. The BRW and IRW necked McCarty's I've owned or played didn't really sound like that, which I think is a tremendously good thing as I'm after a different sort of sound.

big mike likes this.
  8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I'd recommend looking at the discontinued PRS MC58. I have one and its #1 on my "last to sell" list. They were a limited production run of McCartys (2012???) that included most of the artist features (bound fretboard, 57/08s, artist grade tops, rosewood headstock laminate, crushed shell birds, paisley case, bone tuner pegs, ???) for a reduced "package price". GC took a good number of them and then sold many of them at *heavy discounts* when they had one of their many "flunk me, flunk you" fall outs with PRS- the internet remembers and this has kept their used prices only slightly above plain old 10 top McCartys. The majority of the run was tobacco burst or copper burst finished, other colors exist but often command a higher used price.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  9. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I have an old handwritten list from the internet I snagged years ago (maybe the same one that Big Mike has) and it says the same thing.

10. big mike

People don’t get the early spec Les pauls sounded different then the souped up hotter pickup stuff that came later. Very tele on steroids

The McCarty does that

superstratjunky and Butch1970 like this.
  11. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I simply don't understand the "best years" thing. Sure, specs change and what I prefer may differ from someone else's but guitar companies (especially PRS) do not issue corporate edicts saying "Attention all employees: Beginning with the next model year, we want quality reduced by 17%. We will return to our previous level after this model run". Sounds silly, right? All McCartys are good. There are plenty of threads aroubd about the different specs.

cutaway likes this.
  12. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

*mental note to self -- put McCarty pickups up for sale, as there is clearly an audience for them*

13. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

FWIW- A few years ago I saw Paul Reed himself examine a well used Custom 22 that was 15+ years old that someone had brought for him to sign at a road show event. Paul noticed it had a factory flaw and pointed it out, hand wrote something on the back of one of his business cards, and handed it to the owner telling him to send it to someone at the factory and that PRS would pay shipping both ways and correct it for free.

FWIW 2- Paul also played my MC-58 and told me that it was one of the best MC-58s he'd ever played. He then looked me in the eye and deadpan said "had I played it in the factory, I would have kept it in the vault"...pretty much a not so nice way of telling me he thought I wasn't worthy of it. Jerk.

14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I'd throw in that the while both pickups share a volume and tone pot, the balance between neck and bridge is near perfect and the coil tap is at the exact right "sweet spot" in the middle position (at least on the 57/08s).

15. big mike

Sounds more to me like he really liked he guitar. it’s less a judgement on you. Met Paul several times (doesn’t know me from Adam) and he’s always been pleasant.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

You’re right. Every PRS is amazing. Buy sight unseen because they’re all the best sounding guitars ever made.

None of them are caked in an inch of solid poly and sound like I’m kicking a tree trunk.

I also haven’t actually owned 4 PRS McCarties and a PRS McCarty Soapbar. Nope - I have no experience with them at all. Carry on.

17. big mike

Sigh

Everyone’s entitled to their opinions. Let’s just stay friendly.

18. big mike

And any time you wanna see the ‘pound of poly’ crap debunked you’re welcome to see the finish sink on my custom 22

Hugh_s, cutaway and sergiodeblanc like this.
  19. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Nope...I've net him multiple times both in groups and 1:1 and he can be a category five Steve Jobs level asocial jerk (I was in the same room/email chain/meeting with Jobs a couple of times while he was alive as well). He can be a charmer when he's on script or with a good handler. When he's off script and/or with a Toady, encounters with him can be a roll of the dice of Targeryian proportions. The first time I met him (I didn't realize it was him), he just happened to be on a dealer visit at a local store and was looking at a Hartman flanger. I commented that I had emailed with Theo Hartman and Theo had responded that he had based the flanger loosely off an Electric Mistress circuit. Paul launched into a several minute monologue at me about how he had bought and taken apart dozens of vintage Mistresses, that this pedal sounded nothing like any of them, and that I obviously didn't know much of anything about anything. If you search the posts here, you'll find that at least one very big and reputable dealer has noted that they've observed and experienced similar "mercurial behavior" from him first hand as well. Regardless- PRS design and quality is top notch and Paul stands behind his products with an Apple level of service. Totally happy over the 6 years I've had my MC58 and will likely purchase a Silver Sky in the very near future.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    superstratjunky and big mike like this.
  20. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I have one with a full rosewood neck, i like it better than the mahogany neck McCarty I had in the early 2000's, but they both are really good. Rosewood seems like it adds a little extra something nice on the top.

rawkguitarist and Alpione like this.