PRS McCarty - Best Years?

Bogner

You’re right. Every PRS is amazing. Buy sight unseen because they’re all the best sounding guitars ever made.

None of them are caked in an inch of solid poly and sound like I’m kicking a tree trunk.

I also haven’t actually owned 4 PRS McCarties and a PRS McCarty Soapbar. Nope - I have no experience with them at all. Carry on.
I will throw my collection of PRS and my history with the brand up against yours anytime you want to. Usually the BS talkers tend to exaggerate their points like you are doing. What guitar is caked in an inch of poly? Who said every guitar sounded amazing? They are all built well and I have yet to find an absolute dog of a guitar from PRS. I can't say that about several other companies. A guitar only produces what the player is doing. Maybe you need to work on some things if you sound like you are kicking a tree trunk. ;)

Carry on

Senor Forum

Gold Supporting Member
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nad-ngd-feeling-a-bit-orange-today.2039369/

My Blood Orange McCarty is a 2015, and it is pretty much my favorite guitar. I keep battling with GAS, but finally settled on just never getting rid of this thing. If I want another guitar, I'll just wait and buy it.

This thing is staying.

The 58/15s in it, to my ears, are pretty perfect. The push-pull works brilliantly, as well. Hell, I spend at least half of my time in the single neck mode. It sounds incredible.

The volume and tone knobs get used WAY more on this guitar than any other I've owned. It's insanely responsive.

Bogner

Anyone with experience with the rosewood neck models? A TGP member just sent me pics of one for possible sale. Looks really nice.

Never had a fully rosewood neck guitar so not sure of feel/tone differences. Maybe slightly darker?
The rosewood neck models are nice. I have various models with Rosewood, Brazilian, Dalbergia and they are all nice. Dalbergia feels a tiny tiny bit waxy. All are incredibly smooth and feel amazing in hand. The sound can be a bit darker and the attack a bit faster which is nice for some things. That also depends on the other woods involved...mahogany, maple, korina, etc. I have a rosewood neck on a single cut that is very dark...surprising as the model is a trem model with the thinner body and the traditional Mahogany back and Maple top. Typically, there is a nice warmth and blend with those necks and I find the bigger difference is in the attack of the individual note more so than the overall tone being so different with the neck...though both effect things for sure. Solid Korina with a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck is very nice though not a standard model apart from PS.

Everybody needs at least one solid Rosewood family necked PRS IMO. :)

Alpione

Supporting Member
It's taking me forever but I'm considering offers on a couple of these. The choice currently is whether to spend more up-front for a newer model with "numbered" pickups or try an older model with McCarty pickups for less and maybe swap in the future.

What I don't want to do is spend more up-front and then still want to swap pups soon. :) And a good sounding split/tap is important to me and my impression is that the PRS pups have specific wiring that does this well. So for now thinking I'd want to stick with one or the other of the stock pickup sets. We'll see.

TattooedCarrot

Supporting Member
Paul also played my MC-58 and told me that it was one of the best MC-58s he'd ever played. He then looked me in the eye and deadpan said "had I played it in the factory, I would have kept it in the vault"...pretty much a not so nice way of telling me he thought I wasn't worthy of it. Jerk.
I wasn't there, but as you tell the story my take on it wasn't an insult to you, but a compliment on the guitar you scored being considered one of the better ones by the guy who started it all. If it were me, I think I'd feel good about that.

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Gold Supporting Member
It's taking me forever but I'm considering offers on a couple of these. The choice currently is whether to spend more up-front for a newer model with "numbered" pickups or try an older model with McCarty pickups for less and maybe swap in the future.

What I don't want to do is spend more up-front and then still want to swap pups soon. :) And a good sounding split/tap is important to me and my impression is that the PRS pups have specific wiring that does this well. So for now thinking I'd want to stick with one or the other of the stock pickup sets. We'll see.
I have a stock early 2000s (‘02 or ‘04, I forget) McCarty, and while the pickups are alright, if they had something a bit more open, clear, bright but not harsh, etc., I would play that guitar more. The pickups are a bit heavy on the mids in a bloated, 57 Classic kind of way to me without the definition, clarity, and dimension of great humbuckers. I gigged it extensively for a few years, and it could use new frets, too.

I’m also spoiled by my DGT. I am planning to refret my McCarty and swap pups at some point.

So, while the earlier (pre ‘08) McCarty’s are fine instruments, I would definitely recommend going with an ‘08 or later for the pickups. People are generally very happy with the more recent PRS pickups, from 57/08, 59/09, etc. on - and I think you will be, too.

I think you’ll be really thrilled with a model from the last ~decade with the more recent pups. Damn Paul keeps making things better and better … and better and better and better, as he likes to say (Met Paul on a handful of occasions, attended a few seminars, got to sit with him for a while once while he made me do the Pepsi challenge between a McCarty and a 335). Hilarious dude. Have fun on the hunt!

jetydosa

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW 2- Paul also played my MC-58 and told me that it was one of the best MC-58s he'd ever played. He then looked me in the eye and deadpan said "had I played it in the factory, I would have kept it in the vault"...pretty much a not so nice way of telling me he thought I wasn't worthy of it. Jerk.
Wow, that's not how I would have taken that comment whatsoever.

slipbeer

Supporting Member
I have a 2000 McCarty that I bought new. I did swap pickups just to see what I thought. I went with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and really like them.

I also had a 2002, which I put 57/08’s in. They were really articulate but maybe a bit too polite for me.

I’ve never met a McCarty I didn’t like.

ferrinbonn

For what it's worth, I've got a 2012 McCarty 58 that came with the 57/08s. They came out after about a month and I just sold them. I had gotten rid of the 85/15s I had in my CE24 before I got the McCarty. I honestly think pickups are the weakest link in everything PRS does. I know there are a lot of PRS lovers who especially love the newer numbered sets but I think you can find tons of other pickups that are as good or better for much less.

As many have stated here, you're very unlikely to find a dud McCarty so don't worry about the pickups. I'd suggest you find one that's in good shape (frets and such) and looks great to you at a price you can live with. If you happen to love the pups that come with it, great. If not, you can swap them out for a set to give you exactly the type of tones you prefer and you can sell the pups the came with it for a pretty penny.

The bear

The new 594’s are great but I like the very early late 90’s version better. The Ted limited editions with the Santana style headstocks are really great. I tried one of the single cuts in the series and it was the best non private stock PRS I have tried.

I wasn't there, but as you tell the story my take on it wasn't an insult to you, but a compliment on the guitar you scored being considered one of the better ones by the guy who started it all. If it were me, I think I'd feel good about that.
Wow, that's not how I would have taken that comment whatsoever.
See post #59 A quick search will reveal the dealer I referenCed seeing the saME behavior.

Last edited:
I also had a 2002, which I put 57/08’s in. They were really articulate but maybe a bit too polite for me.
Agreed that the 57/08s can aggressive, but not necessarily mean sounding. FWIW, I've owned several sets of 57/08s from an early two conductor hand labeled set up to a set of uncovered sqabbins pulled from a Custom 24 and the sets get progressively hotter sounding as the build dates get more recent.

Alpione

Supporting Member
Let me ask this. The splitting capability that PRS uses that apparently leaves part of the "deactivated" coil active to reduce the volume drop...

Is that a function of the wiring or of the pickup itself? Ie, if I swap pickups to non PRS will I retain that feature (which I like)?

JoeB63

Supporting Member
The Ted limited editions with the Santana style headstocks are really great.
I've got one of those arriving today. I also happen to own an 2011 MC-58, a 2008 DGT and a 1999 McCarty HB I. And I owned a McTrem, and a McCarty with a solid Brazilian neck quite a while back too. I guess I could offer some comparative points.

Alpione

Supporting Member
I've got one of those arriving today. I also happen to own an 2011 MC-58, a 2008 DGT and a 1999 McCarty HB I. And I owned a McTrem, and a McCarty with a solid Brazilian neck quite a while back too. I guess I could offer some comparative points.
Awesome. Lay it on us when you get a chance.

In taking to people about these, I'm ever more confident that a McCarty is the way to go for my first Core PRS. Everyone has had several. I was emailing with a guy who kept waking over to his collection and taking pics of three or four different ones when I asked comparison questions. Nice.

Trending Topics