PRS McCarty - Best Years?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alpione, Jun 22, 2019.

1. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

This is an oft repeated PRS ding that I have never understood. Except...

Most folks are not used to seeing finishes applied with the level of prep and care that PRS guitars get. My 94 std 22 and 93 EG3 finishes look pretty glassy until you get up real close. From day 1 if you get close enough, the standard has telegraphed very fine mahogany grain lines that are not consistent with the thick poly myth. PRS standard finishes are almost always thinner that most factory finishes. And due to prep, process and paint still manage to look glassy. I imagine they miss now and then but the PRS standard finishes have been very right for a long time.

hunter

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    big mike likes this.
  2. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have to say there is no possible way for me to take his comment as a negative. It was guitar flattery. OTOH, probably to be taken with a grain of salt. I bet he says that to almost all of his guitars.

hunter

3. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

My CU24 would be in a lot better shape with an inch of poly instead of the gashes from me being a careless bastard on stage and elsewhere.

4. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

I am working on a dual-pot resistor board that can be added to the McCarty or any 3-way guitar with a push/pull. This allows you to dial-in how much of the 2nd coil you want.

superstratjunky and Alpione like this.
  5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Ditto. To say nothing of my Nitro DGT.

haslar and superstratjunky like this.
  6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah the comment to Mr. Pointy IMO was PRS's way to say the guitar in his possession was good - its that simple.

7. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

@rawkguitarist and I have a history...he's got some serious ego issues...don't feed the troll and let him ruin yet another thread.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

When you say "numbered set" are you talking about engraved covers or the run where they used old NOS "Gibson spec" wire or maybe something else?

9. lukather101

lukather101 Member

Engraved, I'm sure the pickups in the shootout guitars were some of the first 57/08's using the original wire (could be wrong)

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I can be feisty when someone insults me and made negative assumptions about me like you did. But certainly I'm no troll - a damn disparaging title for someone whos been contributing here for 15 years. Feel free to take a look at a sampling of my posts - pretty civil and jovial. You took it to that level and you can decide to invite a derailing of a good thread.

I too love my McCarty hence why I'm in this thread...

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

[​IMG]

Man... If I were to get another PRS it'd probably be McCarty Korina. Such a simple and elegant example. I know white and black limba are not super rare woods, but they are so dang cool and a neat substitute for mahogany. I have it varying degrees in all my Kolls.

12. big mike

My buddy had one, great guitars for sure.
    I'm a korina -ho full on (5 of them?) I prefer my limba/korina without a maple cap.
    I'd be sorely tempted by one of these too.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah - I'd be a korina ho too. 5 in my little collection too! The skunk stripe in my Koll tele and Tornado that has a one piece maple are black limba - just to have the wood in there. I have two more on order. One 335'sh that will have a korina neck and a Super Cub that will have it somewhere too. Its a theme...

superstratjunky likes this.
  14. big mike

You're going to love Korina neck on a 335 type. The thorn grantura's I played with korina necks really sang vs mahogany in light and medium gain..it really made the notes pop out nicely.

15. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Then stick to talking about your McCarty...you could easily have ignored my posts..but you decided to make purely personal posts again...not civil nor jovial.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. big mike

Let's keep the personal stuff out of the thread guys. maybe put each other on ignore and let's move on.

sedawkgrep and superstratjunky like this.
  17. big mike

I have yet to try the 57/08's. Someone give me the run down vs the standard McCarty fare?

18. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I haven't played original McCarty pickups, but I can give my impressions of the 57/08s that came in my McCarty 58 (2012 model).

My guitar seems to have a naturally darker voice, which may have been why they didn't work well for me. The voicing is in the PAF family, so more scooped than a lot of the older style PRS pickups. The neck pup was crazy bassy in my guitar. I tried adjusting the height and the pole pieces, but ultimately it was just way too much for what I needed. The top end was nice thought. Sounded better dirty than clean, probably since my amp's dirt channel and most OD pedal emphasize the mids a lot more and cut down some of the bass. It was REALLY boomy on the clean channel of my Runt, which has a pretty bass heavy blackface style voicing.

The bridge was better to me, but too polite. It was wound to over 9k but seemed weaker for some reason. I think it's just that the treble and upper mids are more mellow so it didn't scream like I prefer under gain. Interestingly, the specs aren't far off from the Duncan Slash set which I have in my LP and LOVE. I'm not sure if taking the covers off would have helped, but I decided to just swap them out rather than mess with them. Just ended up selling them for a really good price.

I eventually settled on a Jazz bridge model in the neck position and a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge. I think they're much better fits for my particular guitar. The Jazz is bright enough for the darker wood and the bass is much more controlled. The Hybrid is powerful without being over the top and has the aggressiveness I was missing with the 57/08s.

Mincer and superstratjunky like this.
  19. big mike

That's a big help actually. I enjoy and have or had have both of those duncans. Thanks.

20. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Agree with what @ferrinbonn said about them sounding scooped. They don't have the low mids of the 58/15LTs in my 594. They are much more top end focused. They are also vintage output so don't push an amp quite as hard as 85/15s. But they sound gorgeous and smooth. Very articulate as well, everything comes through loud and clear because there's no extra low end to muddy things up at all. I really love them. Might be my favorite PRS pickup TBH (but that changes day to day.)

EDIT: Also AFAIK all PRS pickup wire since the original 57/08s has been using wire from that same vintage machine that made the wire back in the 50s, and all 57/08s are roughly the same. When they got batches that were different that's where 59/09 and 53/10s came from 85/15 and 58/15s are when PRS put a computer controller on the machine to get the wire to be consistent.

big mike likes this.