PRS McCarty - Best Years?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alpione, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

That's funny. Coincidentally, my whole PRS GAS in this thread started when I rediscovered my old SE 245 into which I had installed ... a Jazz neck and a 59/Custom bridge.

You're right. The Jazz is the clearest, brightest neck pickups I've used. I had put a treble bleed on that pickup previously and had to take it out because the Jazz would stay too bright when rolled back. Not something I ever associate with a neck humbucker.

The 59/Custom is possibly a touch too hot for what I'm after, but I do like it for some things.

superstratjunky likes this.
  2. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I HIGHLY recommend trying the Jazz bridge model in the neck position. It's a tad hotter which tames the highs some and gives a touch more mids. I love it.

3. PSLUAN

PSLUAN Member

I've owned PRS from year 2000 to 2017. Everyone of them was stellar. The consistency and stability of PRS guitars are second to none.
    I do find that their guitars are getting better and better each year though. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a McCarty from any year if it is the right one.

4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Or stick an Alnico IV in it.

5. Alpione

And we’re off... 2007 McCarty in great shape coming my way. Can’t wait.

Jignant, David B, sedawkgrep and 6 others like this.
  6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Awesome

Alpione likes this.
  7. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

McCartys,,,,,,,,, YUM!!!!:)

Be sure to post a full pic & a link to your NGD thread.;)

Alpione likes this.
  8. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Was there bad years? I would say go with the one with the pups you like. The build should be great all the way through, it is PRS.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  9. Alpione

Ended up with the last year of the original McCarty pickups. Wanted to try them out with my rig as a baseline and go from there. Been wanting to learn more about pickups swapping and the McCarty might be a great base for that.

Or not. The stock pickups may be great for me. We’ll see. :)

xjojox likes this.
  10. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Report back!

Alpione likes this.
  11. Alpione

12. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

That is a great way to start if like that guitar. What year guitar is yours? Also, what color?

Yes, you can always swap pups and keep the guitar.

I know how I am though, I don’t modify quality guitars, I replace. So if I didn’t like the pups I would keep searching for the McCarty with the pups and color I like.

I only upgrade Squires, partcasters and Fender non-American made.

13. Betos

Betos Member

Alpione likes this.
  14. Alpione

And that’s kind of what I wanted. I checked out some of the fancier ones like the MC58 and others, but while they were beautiful some were almost too much. I’ll start with the classic and go from there. The only exception was that the wife required birds. :)

sedawkgrep likes this.
  15. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I think the anti-birds sentiment is misplaced and kind of odd. I lived in Maryland when Paul started. (passed on a prototype...who knew?) and it was clear early on that the birds were his thing. Besides, the story behind them is sweet (his mom was a bird watcher). I’ve owned a couple with moons bit I prefer the birds.

The “McCarty Burst” color predated all kinds of Gibson attempts to replicate (and give fancy names to) varying degrees of faded bursts. The color has stood the test of time and remains classic.

Alpione likes this.
  16. Jignant

Jignant Member

Another 2007 in Black Cherry in anticipation of your new McCarty. You are going to LOVE it!!! Congrats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Alpione

Quick update here with proper NGD thread to follow (and proper pics.)

The 2007 McCarty in McCarty burst arrived and is, in fact, in great shape. The seller said he hadn't played it much in the past few years and it looks the part. Almost zero fret wear and really nothing more than some pick scratches on the body and a touch of that vintage-y corrosion on the pickup covers and bridge. Very nice for a 12 year old guitar, and the top is nicely flamed without being over the top. Far more comfortable to play than my LP and it's really easy to reach the controls without looking. Most critically, it meets the Wife Requirement of bird inlays. :)

From some of the online reviews, I expected the stock McCarty pickups to sit somewhere between a Turd on a Stick and the 7th Level of Hell but, ummm, they're great so far. With my main amp (Maz 18 Mk 2), they're bright and clear and even more so once I lowered the bridge pickup from being too close to the strings. With the splits, I'm able to get all kinds of sounds out of them and they're very responsive to volume/tone control fiddling. From Tele-like bridge stuff to LP-like rock, I've had a great time playing through my repertoire that I normally play with two or three guitars. There's even a little quack with both pickups split. It's definitely the most versatile guitar I've had so far.

I'd say the only "issues" so far are a pickup selector switch that will need replacing at some point. It doesn't hold the Bridge setting as firmly as I'd like and while it's better after a little adjustment, those things are wear items and I'll pick one up at some point. The other thing is that with the recessed pots, it's challenging to pull up on the tone pot to split whilst holding a pick. A push/push would be easier.

Overall, very happy so far. Playing it for the first time with one band tomorrow, though that's all direct to the board using cans, so not completely satisfying. But next week we shall rock with the other band using real amps. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all of the great advice here folks.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  18. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Congrats man! They really are the bomb.