Prs Mccarty Braz Upgrades (rs Guitarworks)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Atmospheric, May 18, 2015.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I have a 2003 PRS McCarty Brazillian. I've had sort of a love/hate relationship with it since I bought it. I'm not really a lawyer top kind of guy, and don't care for gold hardware at all. But at the time I really wanted a brazillian rosewood fingerboard, and short of paying big $$ for an artist guitar, one of these Brazillians seemed to fit the bill.

So aside from looks (which I'm sort of meh on), I've never really bonded with the pickpups. The neck pickup was really muddy and the bridge pickup always seemed thin to me, not matter how I adjusted either one. I've considered selling it and moving on, but I'd take a bath on it, and shipping a guitar is a PITA.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Florence 60s. I've had great results with Peter's pickups in the past. I am very hopeful that these pickups will give me some more usable tones than the stock McCartys.

Like Carlos Santana, I don't really use tone controls. I'm tempted to go with just one knob and the 3-way switch, but I'm not too keen on an empty hole. So I'm thinking of upgrading the wiring harness to an RS Guitarworks modern of vintage. I'm not sure which one. Also, the existing switch is a bit flaky, it's time to replace that anyway.

Does anyone have any direct experience with RS Guitarworks harnesses in PRS Mccartys?

View attachment 50

2. C3X

C3X Member

I am curious about the RS Guitarworks for a McCarty as well.

I have an 04. Haven't been able reconcile vintage vs modern kit, specifically as I narrow down which pickups I would go with...Leaning towards BKP The Mules.

I do use the tone and volume controls a lot- and while many would call it a feature, I would like more resistance on the controls. I tend to overshoot when rolling off and would like a little more control. Are the RS controls a little stiffer than than PRS stock controls? It's the only thing that I don't like about the McCarty, however, I have played for 10+ years and haven't done anything about it. So I guess it's not that big of a deal.

3. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

Ever think to put another switch in? Say for a tap/parallel/out of phase. How about a big blower switch/kill or maybe a Preamp? You could just leave it in & just go straight to the jack.

4. Atmospheric

I decided to go with the RS Guitar modern harness, but they are going to customize it with a normal rather than push-pull tone pot. Going with articulate pickups and the modern harness, I might need to roll off highs from time to time. I haven't had to do that yet on a bucker guitar, but I suppose there's always a first time for everything.

5. Atmospheric

I installed the Florence 60s and the RS harness today. Huge improvement over the stock PRS pickups and electronics. It's a shame that I felt I had to upgrade a $2,800 guitar, but the $350 I spent means I can see myself keeping it, rather than taking a bath flipping. It's worth noting that I bought this guitar complete remotely, something I try not to do.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Damn, those Florence pickups are great.

PW214 likes this.