PRS mccarty soapbar???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joolzriff, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

as i cant get on w/ fender musical instruments and need that super single coil bite sound i went out and playedone of those PRS mcCarty soaps last night and was realy surprised at how twangy that thing is,i loved it...
    question to the owners of these,how is it past the honeymoon period?? u still digging it and what are the pro's n cons??? like is the 60cycle hum realy bad ect ect??

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

My McSoapie is the only PRS guitar I still have, and it seems to be a keeper. I've had it since PRS introduced it. The serial number says it is a 1998 model.

Although I am primarily a Telecaster player, my McSoapie does claim a fair amount of playing time. It is always a pleasure to play, and nearly as versatile as one of my Teles.

After saying all that, I have to included that I was never very fond of the stock bridge pickup -- too hot for my tastes. I swapped pickups on this guitar for something a bit more vintage voiced. That really made me love this guitar.

3. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I've had 2 of them and unfortunately the standard P-90's are very mediocre with all due respect to PRS. I just discovered what I believe is the best sounding P-90 guitar as stock from the factory, a Gibson Historic R-4 Gold Top..........think early Steve Miller crunch. The stock P-90's sound very much like the ones from the 50's which is when they were in their heyday, much more powerful than the PRS Duncan made P-90's and much less ground noise. Sonically they are not as shrill, have waaay more growl and are much creamier with far better pick sensitivity than the PRS'S. Here's a link to inspect;

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/54/1954Goldtop.html

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've owned two of 'em, both with solid Rosewood necks. GREAT guitars, although I found the Duncan's a little too hot for my taste. The Rosewood McSoapies are AWESOME, IMO...

Had I kept them, I would have probably dropped in Antiquities or Fralins, which are a bit more vintage sounding...

I think that the McSoapies are some of the best production guitars out there, period. I only sold them because I prefer the more traditional aesthetic of, say, a Gibson 175...

5. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Member

Hi guys! I have a Mc Soapie (04 10 top) and its my 1st PRS and i LOVE it! I was surprised at how "rockin" (hot?) it was when i first got it but now im enthralled with it. I find the guitar really cleans up beautifully off the volume control to calm things down, anyone else agree?
    PS, Dave i also play through a 96 Matchless Chieftain and I think it's a beautiful, beautiful match!! Both are better than I'll EVER be :BEER
    Enjoy the honeymoon, I think it'll last forever!!

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

I love my McSoapy. Nice fat neck, great finish and I even like the stock Duncan P-90s. Lots of bite and growl on tap.

[​IMG]

8. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

"how is it past the honeymoon period??" Great.

"u still digging it and what are the pro's n cons???" The Duncan pickups aren't for everyone.

"like is the 60cycle hum realy bad ect ect??" It's there, but that's just a P90 thing (middle position is hum-cancelling).

The Standard (no maple cap) w/rosewood neck is far and away my favorite PRS model.

[​IMG]

9. Dave Orban

I, too, think that the stock P90s in the Historics come VERY close to a vintage sound...

10. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

11. Chris T

Chris T Member

My korina McCarty Soap...I too dislike the stock pickups...put a Duncan Antiquity P90 in the bridge and a Duncan Antiquity mini-hum in the neck and this thing sounds fantastic:

[​IMG]

12. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

McCarty Soapbars are some of the finest guitars you can get IMHO. They got the design and build exactly right. I've had my current one for 3 years now, and it's still my "go to" guitar for writing songs.

14. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

15. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

they are discontinued for 2008

16. Dave Orban

There's PLENTY of 'em out on the used market, for less than half what they cost new. ;)

17. Zane

Zane Silver Supporting Member

18. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

whats a used McSoapy usually run>?

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

It depends. Usually somewhere between 1300-1500, depending on options (birds, 10 top, RW neck, etc).

20. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

I just picked mine up (Natural finish) with Birds for 1600 used at Guitar Center here in NJ. I saw it on the wall, and it spoke to me, just not enough to pay the $2200 on the wall.

I got them down to $1600 with the Artist Series HSC.

It's a great guitar, I personally LOVE th sound of the Duncan P-90's.