PRS McCarty Twins...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mojoslide, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Well not quite exact twins, but I keep telling my wife I'm cheating on her with twins...I've gone through lots of axes in the past bunch of years and the PRS McCarty model stands out as my favorite. In fact I'm down to just these two axes as my primary guitars. I recently got the McCarty burst one from Willcutt.
    [​IMG]

2. madstrat

madstrat Member

nice pair

i would like to find another.....braz neck, i think

3. jrw32

jrw32 Member

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

Beautiful...I think the McCarty's are my favorite PRS's...one of these days I'll find one with a trem and I'm all over it....

(Plus...love the moons....the birds I find a little irritating for some reason...)

5. baimun

baimun Member

I think the one twin has been gettin' a little brown sugar. :D

6. Samba

Samba Member

I like Mac twins too! Mine have unique enough voices to justify keeping them both around- how about yours, Mojo?

[​IMG]

7. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Those are beauts mojoslide. :AOK

Bit of a twin thing happenin' here too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  8. MartinC

MartinC Member

The McCarty burst looks great ... I much prefer more subtle, thin flaming like that.

9. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have one regular and three with trems (violin amber McTrem for sale). Great guitars. They're pretty much replaced my CU22s....

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i love love love love love my mccarty's ('95 mcsunburst, '01 goldtop)... easily one of my most favorite newer designed guitars.

11. bilbal

bilbal Member

I would love to get my hands on another McCarty. I haven't had one for awhile now. Maybe I should start looking around huh??

They are the only PRSi I will ever own. I have gone through many different PRS models and found the McCarty to be best for my style. My last was a vintage natural and it was beautiful and played exceptionally well. Being the idiot I am, I sold it. I would love to get my hands on that one again.

bilbal
    bilbal

12. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Thanks for all the comments. I really like the additional twins pics...Anyone else got a pair to show off? And yes they definitely each have their own voice. It is similar but different enough to make it interesting. One has slightly more bass, while the other has a touch more midrange snap and sizzle. The both ring out great acoustically too. Just my favorite guitars so far.

13. acwild

acwild Member

How are the McCarty's different? I think the bodies are thicker, but is there a difference is sound or feel? I have a CE-24 and am just curious.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

any one else swap out the pickups?

i switched out a bunch of humbuckers (seth lovers, lindy's, etc), and found that the sd antiquities mate nicely w/ the mccarty's. thicker, fatter, and all around sweeter.

found the stock pickups just too pushy and modern sounding. almost an anachronism in such a throwback'ish guitar. they were ok for a while, but i'm found my sound w/ the sd's.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the CE24 and the mccarty couldnt be anymore different.

the mccarty does have a thicker body, is missing those extra frets, is neck thru vs. your bolt on, and comes in a wide fat neck.

tonally, i find the mccarty's appropriately enough, thicker and throatier sounding, wont have the snap or bounce of your CE's bolt on flavor.

actually, getting a mccarty would probably be a great tonal complement to your guitar.

16. acwild

acwild Member

Thanks for the info. :cool: I've always guessed that the McCarty would be more Les Paul-like, but never got a chance to plug one in. Now I'm gonna have to find one and take it for a spin.

17. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

Wish they made a McCarty with the regular neck. I would be all over that. I think the custom soapbar 3 pickup model was one of the few to have the regular neck. The new DGT model has the regular neck carve but they seem to be having production problems... I owned 3 McCarty's and they were great guitars. Well balanced and play like butter.

18. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    S-D '59s in mine. Took out the coil tap and it now just has a regular tone control with an RS Jensen oil/paper cap:
    [​IMG]

19. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Love my 2001 McCarty IRW neck as well!

Joe:)

20. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

My one and only McCarty. I almost bought another one but decided that, while twins are fun, variety is funner so I have an SC245 coming shortly.

[​IMG]