PRS McCarty

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KRosser, Feb 7, 2012.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

So, after going a little over three years without a new electric guitar*, I landed this one used at my local Guitar Center about three weeks ago. I've always liked the PRS McCarty in general, and when I stumbled across this one it just had to come home with me. I knew this was "the one"...

I'm not sure what took me so long - I'm so totally over the moon about this instrument. Basically anything I can do on any electric guitar I can do on this - none of my others have even come out of their cases since, regardless of genre. It's really plain - no ten top, no birds - but I love the way it feels and looks, like a perfect combination of classic design and modern workmanship

Here's the obligatory crappy cell phone pic:

[​IMG]

It's a 2006, I think, according to the serial number. I'm not really tempted yet to do any modding to it right away, though I suspect I will ultimately not be able to resist the temptation to try my favorite set of aftermarket humbuckers - Lindy Fralin Unbuckers - in this.

Anyway, loving this one long time...

(* I did buy myself a Ramirez classical two years ago, which is still in heavy use...)

(...all your standard disclaimers apply - I'm not affiliated in any way, blah, blah, blah...I paid my own questionably hard-earned money...)

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    McCarty's are classics in the PRS line. I love my '00 - it sat in a store for 2 years before I bought it and I'm convinced it was because it doesn't have any bling - rather plain top and moon inlays.
    I ended up pulling the stock pickups in favor of a pair of Duncan '59s.
    Enjoy!

3. coreybox

coreybox Member

The stock McCarty pups sounds pretty good, albeit a little hot (9K bridge maybe?).

4. AD

AD Supporting Member

Try the newer PRS pups (59/09 or 57/08's) - I've converted back to PRS in the last couple years and i think the main reason is the pickups - they are making killer sounding instruments and my fave remains the Ted McCarty DC245 which is essentially a McCarty with a 24.5" scale.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i love 'em & the plainer looking the better, for me; moon & a burst, is all i need.

congrats! and i would love to hear you play it for us!

6. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

I picked up a MCcarty gold top at a guitar show little while ago it was my first prs. After the honeymoon was over I started getting bored with the pickups. I hooked it up with some R&S pots and caps. Now i'm digging it all over again.

nice find congrats

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Funny, Ken, the new Tone Quest Report has a lengthy cover story on that very guitar. They ended up throwing a set of Fralins in it. Must be something in the air. Really fond of the McCarty as a basic platform myself although, as you can probably guess, mine are all pretty upmarket versions.

8. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Looks like I'm not the only one that has fallen down the PRS rabbit hole lately. Nice guitar Ken.

9. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

I've got an 03' with P90's, plain black top, moon inlays....was in the store for a long time....like some of you have said, too plain and simple maybe. I love it.

10. Nada

Nada Member

the McCarty model is my favorite PRS. it has all the right specs, IMO, and i even really like the stock pickups. just a great all-around instrument.

here's my main McCarty - many shows under its belt so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

McCartys are great -- I have two of 'em. I like their simplicity and btw the non-10 top and moons are just fine by me.

12. Siri

Siri Member

Congrats on finding The One, let your others sleep for a while. The McCarty is so simple, versatile and well designed. When I got mine I literally played nothing else for about 3 months. I have a 07 McCarty with tremolo. Eventually I changed out the pups to Manlius Modern-Vintage and have been quite happy.

13. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations Ken on your newly acquired PRS McCarty! Many years of great playing and music. Enjoy...

14. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Member

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

My '97 McCarty is my fav guitar.

I did do some modding.
    First, I replaced the stock brass bridge studs with Pigtail steel studs. Steve Rowen made them for me before he past away. RIP Steve.
    Second, I searched and found a used set of DGT pickups.

Nothing else will be touched.

Here is pic my girlfriend took.

[​IMG]

Here are the Pigtail steel studs.
    Before the DGT' were installed.

[​IMG]

16. billfoma

billfoma Member

One day I will own a PRS...

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah...here's the whole story:

This was used at the Hollywood Guitar Center, which is just a few blocks from GIT where I teach. I was in just browsing around and found this and was totally knocked out by it. The asking price seemed very reasonable, probably due to the lack of bling, but I just didn't have it at the time, so I played it for a while and said goodbye, figuring it was good as gone.

Literally a month later I was back in buying a cable and saw the guitar again. I was totally shocked it was still there at that price. I played it again. It was then I realized it was either I buy it or watch one of my students walk in with it one day, which would kill me...and I had just gotten paid from a couple big gigs...so home we went. With the GC 30-day return policy it was really a no-risk situation. I took it to a few gigs and rehearsals right away and realized I'd lucked into one of my favorite guitars I've ever owned

My wife's input into this? I sent her a cell phone pic...she texted me back: "Buy it already"

I'm definitely keeping it stiock for a little while, though like I said, the 'Fralin experiment' is inevitable at some point

18. jemke

jemke Member

19. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

You cannot go wrong with a McCarty. I've had mine for 12 years and I keep liking it better and better.