PRS McSoapy - P90 Pickup Suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratlad, Sep 7, 2008.

1. stratlad

stratlad Member

I own a McCarty Soapbar - not the all mahogany variety but the one that is mahogany with a maple cap. The Duncan P90s aren't back but are a little aggressive for my taste in the neck and bridge positions (middle position sounds good to my ears). Has anyone with this type of McSoapies put in Lollar P90s? I understand they are less "in your face".

Appreciate any experience you can share. / Cheers.

2. stratlad

stratlad Member

3. richey88

richey88 Member

Slightly OT but here goes: I have a PRS SE II Soapbar and someone recommended un-soldering the capacitor on the tone pot. Anyone have any experience with this and the results?

OT: I would love to hear reports onb the Lollars (how do they sound, how much?), sorry if I hijacked your thread.

4. jackthecat37

jackthecat37 Member

I have a IRW McSoap Standard I'm selling because I have a Thorn Jr90 that has killer p90s. But then I saw this from Ron Thorn:
    "Enter the GT-90s...John, Nick and myself have been working on these since we realized there was a demand for this style of pickup once the Jr-90s took off. After many months of R&D, prototyping and having custom molds made, we are only a couple weeks away from offering the GT-90s both as an aftermarked pickup, and as an option in new Thorn Artisans. They have a similar sound to the Jr-90s, but are constructed "easier"- allowing us to offer them at a reasonable price. They retain the classic P-90 growl combined with the Jr-90 grind."
    I'm stating to consider keeping the Mcsoap and trying these out in it!

5. Anchorage42

Anchorage42 Member

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I have a soapbar std (no maple top). mine also has a trem, so there is a diff in tone in comparo to a stoptail model.

I have Lollars in mine presently. Much better balanced set than the std Duncans which I found were not balanced to my ear, and too bright (they actually use 2 duncan neck models).

The Lollars do sound great, and are very versatile. As some have noted, they may be a little more "polite" than the avg P-90. I love the neck pickup but wish the bridge had a bit more heat on tap, but that's just my take on it. YMMV

there are a lot of aftermarket options out there these days. If I had to try any other set, it would be Wolfetones for me. I'm interested in the Mean/Meaner set.

7. oscar100

oscar100 Member

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

I know that Lollars have been all the rage around here regarding P90's, but I think Lindy Fralin is still the undisputed champ regarding pickups! Just my humble opinion.

9. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Another McSoapy owner here. I have, or have owned, a number of P-90 equipped guitars and used Fralins, DiMarzio's, Lollars, SD's, Harmonic Design and Gibson versions of P-90's. Personally for the McSoapy, I haven't wanted to change the pups. Yeah, they are hotter than I usually use but they just sound right in that guitar. If I had to make a change and keep with the character of the guitar, I'd choose the Harmonic Designs S-90's. As you say, a bit less "in your face" but plenty of growl on the bridge pup and a nice oen sounding neck pup but without the kind of "hi-fi" character folks attribute to the Lollars.

10. stratlad

stratlad Member

Thanks Bluewail. I'm a bay area guy too.

What amps are you playing your McCarty Soapbar through? I find that this guitar reacts pretty differently to some amps. Its like the creamiest Gibson through my DRRI but more tactile and less compressed through other amps I have.

I like the middle setting and sometimes the neck setting is great but on some amps the neck pickup is a tad muddy - hence my question.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

You might consider Fralins, with the stock bridge
    and 15% underwound neck.

12. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've played it through a variety of amps - '66 Fender DR, Fuchs ODS50, Matchless SC30, Carr Rambler & Slant6V, Mesa Lonestar - and IMHO it sounds good with all of them. I do have to tweak them, and my pedals, a bit differently to handle the high output pups. My fave combo is the McSoapy with the SC30 and a Timmy and/or Zendrive up front.

13. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I have Lollar unpotted P90s in my McSoapie. Like yours, it has a maple cap. I love them. There is no reason for me to entertain the thought of swapping them out.

14. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

+1 on the Thorn GT90s. I haven't played them . . . but the closely related ones in the Thorn Junior 90s are the most versatile and best-sounding P90s that I've played that were made since the 1950s.