1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

PRS Mira owners, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by afterosmosis, May 24, 2011.

1. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I'm starting to put some money aside for a backup/second guitar now that I'll be playing live on a regular basis. I want something quality with dual humbuckers and I'm really digging the vibe of the PRS Mira.

So, to those that do or have owned one, what do you think of them? Feel free to post some Mira pr0n here as well.

2. jlsummers

jlsummers Member

i have owned a mira for a little over a year now, its solid mahagany, no maple top, and i still love the thing, i can get a variety of different sounds out of it without any trouble at all.

3. Eminor7

Eminor7 Member

I purchased my Mira Korina because I needed a light guitar, and it is light as a feather. However, I was not in love with its plugged-in tone when I first purchased the guitar. Mira pickups were voiced for an all mahogany guitar. Mahogany is a darker sounding wood than white limba (a.k.a. white korina). I used a PTC coupon that I received when I purchased the guitar to have a pair of 57/08s installed. Now, the guitar has an old-school woody growl that cuts through the mix well. It also sounds very nice when played clean, and I am not a fan of clean humbucker tones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

That Korina Mira looks great, although I'd love to see a tortoise guard & truss rod cover on it :)

5. THebert

THebert Member

Man that is a nice looking guitar! :drool

6. jbvan

jbvan Member

I picked one up about 6 months ago. White with a black pickguard. It sounds great and is very well built.

7. Eminor7

Eminor7 Member

A few of the first-run Miras had tortoise shell guards, but PRS does not offer tortoise shell as an option. The guitar came with a black pickguard and truss rod cover. I prefer the look of white pearloid on this guitar, especially when combined with the 57/08s. It gives the guitar an "old school" Gibson vibe. The original white limba Vs had white guards.

[​IMG]

8. BComp61

BComp61 Supporting Member

I bought a MIRA Maple Top and love it. I was surprised to how light it was. I wanted something with a little more "umph" than my G&L Strat to cut through. It really sings and the sustain is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I have one, an '08 vintage cherry/moons. The regular neck profile is very comfy, the payability is fantastic and overall it is resonant and loud acoustically. Plugged in the bridge pickup sound very good to my ears both full humbucker and split. I like the brighter, very telecaster-ish split tone a lot. The neck pickup I was less enamored with. It was okay, a little on the muddy side. I installed a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in it and like it a lot better. Despite its lower price the playability is right there with other USA PRS guitars I've played. It's a great guitar.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had one of the first ones and I didn't really like it. It was neck heavy. The pickups got rave reviews (especially for coil splitting) and I thought they were ok. Mine also had an absolutely crappily cut nut which was a bit of a disappointment after hearing about how much care PRS takes before the guitars are shipped.

YMMV of course. I would be interested in a 22 fret maple top if that were available. Haven't looked into the Mira since I sold mine.

11. Ivan Durak

Ivan Durak Member

I have the 245 Mira, shortscale with soapbars, so quite different than regular one.
    Playability is great. Up to PRS standards in build quality. Light guitar, no neck diving. The standard Miras I tried all sounded good. My first choice for going back to playing guitar was a good SG, but after much research I looked for a good deal on a Mira instead.

As for mine, I'm very happy with the p90s. On hindsight, an LP electronics configuration would have been nice (2 volumes and tones), but I don't really need it.

All in all, a lovely and very playable guitar, quite light, very responsive, no drawbacks.

12. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I've got one. It is a fun guitar to play. It has replaced my SG whenever I want to play any AC/DC style numbers, as it sounds and feels like the SG, but without the associated neck heaviness.

It has a thinner neck than most of my other guitars, and that takes some getting used to when I switch between them repeatedly.

I must admit when I first got my Mira, I 'babied' it a little bit and tried to reserve it for 'intellectual' playing and it wasn't really working... It was only when I started using it as a down and dirty rock and roll machine that I really discovered what this guitar was capable of... a PRS as a crunchy rock guitar??? Who woulda thought??? ;)

13. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

It reminds me of a late 50's Les Paul Special styling with humbuckers. I've played them at the PRS factory and the lightweight Mira X and also sat in with a friend's band using his Mira. I have a 2005 20th anniv/ CE24. I'

14. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

my mira is a "keeper"

and it is the only PRS that I've kept out of about 5 PRSi

15. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

Your Mira will quickly become your number one. To me, it's one of the best players I have ever had. Thinking about getting one with P90s

I have a mist blue metallic one with the Santana headstock. Love it. Growl, warm, clean.....it's all in there. Neck is fantastic.

Makes me want a single cut over a les Paul. I really love the 25" scale too. Buy it. You won't regret it. Plenty of good used ones out there.

16. shortyz

shortyz Supporting Member

I have a korina model and love it. I weighed it the other day and came in at a whopping 5.6 lbs. That's just nuts. I'm actually liking it better than my McCarty with 57/08's right now.

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have the "affordable" version - Mira X.
    I bought it here in the emporium as a backup to my Hamer Artist but last two gigs I used the Mira X all night.
    24.5" scale neck plays fantastic.

[​IMG]

18. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

I really like everything about it except the neck profile. It's not the size so much as the unusual shape. It just feels "odd".

[​IMG]

19. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

I sold mine a while back. It just didn't agree with me. If they made a 245 scale with humbuckers I would be tempted to try another.

[​IMG]

20. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Am really intrigued by the Mira and wish I could splurge on one. Since I own a Tele and an LP already, I've felt that I'm fixed for electrics. Then I tried a Mira and suddenly wanted one. It felt like the right balance between the two -- it has the easy "slingability" and clarity of Tele, but also the fat HB sounds.
    Since first getting exposed to one, I've tried a few others out and found that they're not all the same. On some of them, the heavily painted necks felt distracting.

So I'm reading all these comments closely.