PRS Modern Eagle 1 vs Les Paul (clip)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Baracus, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Baracus

Baracus Member

Just came across this clip... find it interesting as the ME1 isn't usually what is used to compare to the Gibsons (usually use the 58 pick ups) for 'that' sound.

What's your thoughts? Your audience be able to hear the difference? Can you hear the difference?
    Is it the full brazillian rosewood neck you hear? or maybe its the different brand of strings or longer/shorter cable that you can hear?

2. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Through such a heavily processed signal, it's really hard to tell anything useful. That often seems to happen in these videos -- the full range of a guitar is not shown. It would have been interesting in the above comparo, for instance, if he'd added a $200 Ibanez to the lineup. It might have sounded no different.

3. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Gibson loyalists will always tell you their tugboat sounds better.

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

The LP sounded just a bit "thinner" to me. Not a big deal but if I had to pick I preferred the PRS, especially on the neck pickup.

5. Baracus

Baracus Member

Which may be true, however if this how he plays live (as a lot of people do) then...?

It is interesting then that an $8000 and $200 (as you suggest) guitar will sound the same through a normalish processed setup. Makes you wonder what the point is yeah?

Arguing over sounds of woods, laminates, types of mahogany, richlite vs rosewood vs maple.

Anyway all this ground has been covered I guess, just interesting... and as much as they sound the same to musicians, your average punter would care how much about which one you were using? Probably zero.

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I think an Ibanez RG would sound the same through this rig...

7. rummy

rummy Member

Touch'e.

8. strumbringer

strumbringer Supporting Member

Lots of people play distorted / driven leads. If that's what he compares, that's totally okay for what he wants.

I found the ME to be beefier on the bridge and clearer on the neck. I felt the ME was clearly better on the bridge, and the neck was a toss-up. For this song, I liked the LP better - but I can see the clearer tone of the ME being better for more bluesy / less driven solos and rhythm work.

9. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

10. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

For me the Gibson had more smoothness but I hated to compare in a distorted sound.

11. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

The prs was more whammy'er

12. Brian D

Brian D Member

Audience? Probably not. Can I hear the difference? The Les Paul has more beef and growl on the low end, but I prefer the slightly fuller, rounder tone of the PRS on the higher stuff. I also preferred the bridge pickup to the neck pickup.

Just my opinion, of course.

13. texstrat

texstrat Member

I like both. I've compared a ton of PRS v LP Historics in person and Iike both a lot. I prefer R8's and R9's, but a PRS Custom 24 is my next guitar.

14. patentcad

patentcad Member

They sound EXACTLY the same on that clip to me.

Which only underscores my increasing realization that we're all obsessed with tone nuances that only we can hear, and sometimes I do wonder if we're actually even hearing them ourselves.

15. McStrats

McStrats Member

Play them clean so we can hear what they really sound like.

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

This is how I heard it as well……..I think. :huh

17. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

18. dubdub

dubdub Member

Yup, no one cares is my experience from gigging. Usually 1 out of 200-300 people would care about the nuances of my tone selection. "It sounds cool, youre really good, etc ,etc" is what everyone else says and moves along. The only time I've discovered the "tone this, tone that" arguments is solely on the internet, where I'm assuming we have too much time on our hands, lol.

A guitars natural tone really matters when you are playing direct from the guitar to amp. I have not seen anyone play that way live in over 8 years. I guess I might be into more modern stuff or more modern circle of performers, but still, having only the guitars natural tone is flat out boring.....to me.

I never play that way so I could care less what a lot of pseudo science tone experts have to say, we're not living in 1960 where you would have limited setup and just had to deal with it. If some people want to do that, its fine and its their choice. Not gonna be the way I do it though. There are too many ways to get good different tones now a days for me to stay vanilla.

About this video, I never watched it, I just listened to it. Couldn't spot a big discernible difference. I would use a similar tone for some of my leads in my old band.

19. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely, don't hide them behind some distortion sound, let's hear them raw...