PRS Modern Eagle tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Feb 17, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm seriously GAS'n for one of these. How would you describe the sounds? Compare to other PRSs s/a McCarty, and others incl. LPs, etc. Thanks, AC

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'm interested in hearing about this too. Alex Dann had one, and said it was like a McCarty on steroids...with some of the finest split coil tones (on a non strat) that he'd ever heard.

And, of course, I"m sure that this beauty practically plays itself.

Anybody else?

S.
    j

3. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Ditto on needing to know. I keep seeing pics and getting more curious but haven't had my mitts on one.

4. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

For me, they sound nothing like mccartys or LPS, or any other guitar, they are ME sounding.

I think what makes this guitar for me, is the feel of the raw BRW neck, and the RP pickups.

I don't know if the thin nitro also helps, I'm not a luthier.

Sound wise. Well the guitar is very full sounding, no matter if you have no gain, to death metal. The notes are clear and not muddy like a Mccarty is. The sustain is incredible compared to LPs or Mccartys. The notes are just clear. This may be due to the BRW neck in part, but not all, since I know AC has owned a BRW SC, and its totally different sounding from a BRW SC.

The other thing I always thought PRS guitars lacked was that the split coil sounds were weak and had a huge loss in volume due to the splitting.

ME DOES not have that issue. Its the only PRS I use the Split coils. The volume loss which doesn't happen in the ME, I don't know how they do it, since you are going from 2 coils to 1, but they do it.

I don't want to get too much into tone, cause I still think that is very subjective and also amp related.

Major thing I guess, feel, pickups, and CLEAR. Clear and sustain are the 2 words that come to my mind.

I also believe the trem version has much more sustain than the stoptail. I have owned 3 trems, and 2 stoptail versions. I still own 2 trems.

I also believe the first run of the MEs were the best. I'm not saying the MEs now are not great guitars, but the first batch they made were special.

I see them now for less than 4K on ebay, and for those prices, they are a steal.

5. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

The most apparent characteristic of my Modern Eagle is that it's incredibly resonant. After I put it down, I can still feel my body and hands resonating from the vibrations of the guitar.

Tone-wise, it's very much in its own world. And that world is a good place! It doesn't sound like a McCarty, although there is a slight family resemblance. It doesn't sound like a Les Paul, although you can tell it's a "mahogany/maple guitar with humbuckers." I remember thinking early on, "ya know, Roy Buchanan would happily play this guitar." I still think that -- not that it sounds like a Tele, either, but it's got that woody, nuanced, rich sound and feel that you can really get *expressive* with.

The BRW neck feels like nothing else. There's no neck I'd rather squeeze, and the carve is just right. (far closer to a real '59 Les Paul than what Gibson is turning these days)

Of course, as always, YMMV. But I'm a big fan. (and I haven't, in general, historically been a huge fan of PRS guitars)

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Good stuff, Doc. But why do you think the trem sustains better...I mean what physical properties might account for that? I'm a HT guy, but own a few with trems (strats), and would buy others if there was a reason, ie. sustain, to do so. AC

7. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

8. Radax

Radax Member

Seems like a pretty good discussion goin' on right here. I just learned a TON of stuff from a Dr. So now I'm motivated to go to Wildwood and see for myself.

Peace,
    Mike

9. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

AC, I really can't say, this has been argued by so many people, and again I'm not a luthier, so I'm just giving you my 2 cents as I have owned both and have actually A/Bed them at the same time through the same amps at the same settings. To put it simply, lets say the trems were 10/10 and the stoptail 8.5/10 to my EARS.

As compared to say your ex BRW SC, its a more versatile guitar because of probably the most part the pups. The #7s are modern and can be more harsh and muddy as compared to the RPs. The RPs like I said, just give this clarity.

Anyways, you are in Maryland!!! so get your butt to the many PRS dealers near you and try it out!!!! You bankers!! ;)

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, I'm on there too. Just trying to get a larger concensus. I think the ME is still too new to get a really broad range of opinions, but appreciate those I've read. must t try to resist M ME.....

11. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

OK. 10 years later after I bought my first Modern Eagle I may testify with full confidence and confirmed by Holy Trinity of ME 1 SCT, ME 1 and ME1 Trem in possesion that Modern Eagle is the best thing that even happenned in PRS factory for us guitar players.
    PS level axe at high, but reasonable boutique price level (I paid 3200, 3400 and 3800 in buying years 2004-2006) that still plays better than anything made by PRS before and since than.
    When talking about ME it should be mentioned that three different incarnations sound bit different, as well.
    Also, I swapped PUs with Bare Knuckle, added Goldo trem stabilizers and few appointments that made ME ultimate axe for me.
    Generally speaking I am not big PRS fan, ME 1 is exclusion from the rule and makes absolute classic modern axe that is chiefly because of price not very much appreciated.

12. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

I had this same question over a year ago and posted similar questions and got great and helpful feedback. Asa result I sold 2 guitars to get an ME II (glad I did). The ME II (unlike ME I) does not have the braz rosewood and has 57/08 pickups vs the RPs, I have not played an MEI. However, I agree with the comments about it being very high quality, clear, woody and detailed and comfy. I'm still in the "breaking in" period getting used to this guitar but its very, very good. The tone is clearly a full humbucker tone with a bit of the depth of an LP but much more clear and focus - more piano-like. Funny, when I asked about MEs last year everyone said they preferred stop tail versions (which is what I got). I have not played an ME trem.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:agree

I can't believe I sold mine years ago.

14. theruley

theruley Member

I noticed on the back of their headstocks they read "custom built for USA" so as a Canadian, if I wanted one, am I SOL?

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I think that's the PRS way of saying it contains Brazilian rosewood (neck or fretboard or both).

Shipping to Canada may get complicated fast, with the Lacey Act and all. Someone here, or over at either the PRS Forum or the Vintage Rocker Forum, may know more.

=K

16. Kiwi

I got an ME Quatro last year, which has a solid Indian rosewood neck and 53/10s. It's a different ride from McCartys and PRS hollowbodies, and the difference is mainly the rosewood neck.

If you're curious what difference the rosewood neck makes, I'll re-post here some earlier comments I made:

- Taut, very clear, piano-like lows from the low E, A, and D strings;
    - Glassy high harmonics on the top end;
    - Very quick attack on the note envelope. Notes don't bloom like they do with my mahogany necked PRS and other guitars. They explode off the fretboard.

These attributes are neither positive nor negative in general. Guitars are tools and we use different tools for different jobs.

The consistent remark you'll hear is the clarity, the piano-like tone, that comes with the RW neck. You switch back to a McCarty or other PRS with a mahogany neck and the notes bloom again on the attack, but they are also a bit fuzzy by comparison, and that feels comfy, like a regular guitar should sound. Go pick up the RW-necked guitar and suddenly you're playing in hi-fi again.

Depends on what you need and want. The feel of the RW neck is different too - it feels harder and colder. PRSHimself confirmed to me that RW is harder to carve and shape, and confirmed that the note attack is much quicker than with a mahogany-necked guitar.

If you want a really different sound, take that RW-necked guitar with 11's down a full step (tune it DGCFAD) and go into a big clean loud amp. You'll think you're playing a baritone through a bass amp - it's that clear and deep.

=K

DaveDaveDave likes this.
  17. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

That's an interesting take. I remember trying out a Modern Eagle and I loved the feel and the tone for certain sounds, but remember wishing it was hollow or chambered to add more dimension. I loved the way the notes popped- but I wished there was more resonance. I also couldn't justify the price without an ebony fretboard. Wonder if I should have a hollow or semi hollow built with an ebony board on a rosewood neck. Might have the right balance of pop and piano range to the notes with a touch more air and dimension than the ME?

18. Kiwi

That's a really interesting observation. I ended up using the RW-necked guitar for some fingerpicked stuff, since the piano-like clarity made each note very distinct.

But I, too, found myself wishing it had a hollow sort of body to diffuse some of that sustain and clarity. I'd be interested in a PRS HB-II guitar with a RW neck (but not so interested I'd pay PRS Private Stock prices to build it!)

Now, if you want to totally geek out on this stuff: In another post, I made an analogy to a Gretsch 6120, which is a full-hollow body, rock maple neck, and ebony board. Notes do not bloom off that guitar, they detonate. It's so quick, and bright, there's no place to hide. But the hollow body does give some air for all that attack to dissipate. So I think you're on the right track with your build idea.

=K

19. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Like where you're going, but set neck maple necks usually seem overly brash to me. Maybe Rosewood splits the difference between an atom bomb of maple and the bloom of mahogany? Agree on the Private Stock and HBII prices (although I am on the lookout for HBII SC right now as well!)- at the over 8K price range I'd be more inclined to order a custom build for less by Myka Guitars... His builds are positively insane.

20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Funny how this thread I started eight years ago suddenly took on a new life….

Anyway, I've been through two ME I's since, and while I have several PRSi including a spectacular PS, the ME's are gone. And since you mentioned the MEQ, don't you think the 53/10's have a lot to do with the tone? I ask because I've found the 53/10's to not only be great PRS pickups, but one of the finest sets of PAF-ish pickups in existence. It's a shame they're no longer in production (that run of unique wire is said to have reached 'unobtanium' status), but every PRS guitar I've heard them in, including my PS, has had that something special in the tone department.

I've since become wary of even trying a MEQ for fear that I'd buy it on the spot!