• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS MT15 or ENGL Fireball 25? (6L6 lunchbox amps)

Guitarjon

The PRS MT15 and ENGL Fireball 25 are some of the few smaller lunchbox amps with 6L6 tubes in the power sections as opposed to the usual smaller EL84 or 6V6 tubes. People seem to prefer the sound of the 6L6's for the smaller amps as they have a bit more headroom at louder levels and a little bit more 'oomph' as the result of that. Since I'm more of a studio guitar player, I don't mind the sound of EL84's at all, but I can see why people like the idea of the bigger powertubes for louder levels and/or playing live.

The MT15 is 15 watts but it has been rated at around 30 to 35 watts by folks on the internet. The FB25 is obviously 25 watts. They have similar features although the PRS is a bit more stripped down. Since both of these amps seem to appeal to the same crowd, I thought it might be fun and helpful to create a comparison video, so that's what I've done. I'd be very interested to know which one you would choose and why. Is it a sound thing or more about the features? Does it matter to you where it's built?

garret

I was interested in the MT 15 but a few reviewers stated it needed a bit of gas to sound good. True of most amps but went the 5150 III route instead.

Still interested to ear TPG thoughts, the MT15 does sound good in the demo's.

Guitarjon

I was interested in the MT 15 but a few reviewers stated it needed a bit of gas to sound good. True of most amps but went the 5150 III route instead.

Still interested to ear TPG thoughts, the MT15 does sound good in the demo's.
I think the amp sounds fine at lower levels tbh. The amp primarily relies on preamp distortion for its tones. That's not to say that it doesn't sound good cranked.

Ajax77799

Silver Supporting Member
Really nice comparo- I have an Archon 50w 6L6 combo and Powerball II (among other Engls), I find that my Archon dimed (through a PRS closed-back 2x12 w/ V30s) is comparable to the Engl’s crunch channel dimed as far as the gain levels go, but I’m not able to get that smooth, tight killer chug that you get out of the MT15 on here- you really have that thing dialed in!

Guitarjon

Really nice comparo- I have an Archon 50w 6L6 combo and Powerball II (among other Engls), I find that my Archon dimed (through a PRS closed-back 2x12 w/ V30s) is comparable to the Engl’s crunch channel dimed as far as the gain levels go, but I’m not able to get that smooth, tight killer chug that you get out of the MT15 on here- you really have that thing dialed in!
Thanks! I would love to try an Archon one day. They sound so thick!

Trending Topics