• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS Multi-Scale

jtkung

Just heard about this guitar -- first PRS multi-scale Private Stock. Looks like a 7-string to be delivered to a dealer in Japan. Apparently the client paid extra for the CNC work needed to get this done. But look at that top -- never seen anything like it -- like a hybrid between burl and quilted maple. Almost like a bowling ball finish, but I think it's a natural figuration.

65ff60c94853d38af0d9c9a734d324fe90ad9b.jpg

Last edited:

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
I bet the price tag on this was completely insane. Knowing PRS they probably charged at least a $5,000 premium for the additional work and changes to their process. But maybe now that its done the next guy can get the option for free ;)

xzacx

I read somewhere that it's only like a .75" fan. 24.75"-25.5." Not too much at all, so I wonder why even do it ...

That's a perfect fan to me - the feel of a short scale on the high strings, and just enough tension to comfortably get to a low B.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
I guess if money isn't a thing you can do whatever you want. I'm not part of that club unfortunately :(

JDutch

I guess if money isn't a thing you can do whatever you want. I'm not part of that club unfortunately :(

God bless whoever commissioned this guitar. He single-handedly paid for PRS to retool a CNC machine to perform this work. Presumably, now this option is available on other Private Stock guitars (possibly for less), and if there's sufficient demand, I bet this feature eventually will be introduced into the main line. It's like super cars: I don't have the money (or desire) to buy a super car, but I like owning a reasonably-price car with features that were first introduced on someone's Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, etc.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty cool idea and that top is insane.

Green typically isn't my go to color on a guitar, but I'd make an exception for this one.

Holliman

Triad Abuser
If you went to Med school you would be in debt up to your eyeballs and probably in worse financial condition than you could imagine....lol.

Yeah right. Most of my young doctor clients easily clear 1 mil a year. And that's in small town MS.

LJD

I don't understand the surprise reaction, PRS regularly claims that Private Stock will build you whatever you want. Doubt the CNC was programmed for a double-neck either, but have seen a few...

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
The surprise is not that exists. The surprise is that someone paid PRS to do it. The "we will build you whatever you want" concept comes with a huge caveat that if what you want differs in spec by something more than woods and colors, you're going to be charged the equivalent of an entire extra custom guitar for the option. Pricing for the Private Stock program is almost a measure of how much they don't want to do something as how much it really costs. This guitar is easily $15,000-$20,000 and its not even that exotic. For that money you could get a very top tier multiscale from Myka, Oni, Ormsby, and at least two other companies and have an entire arsenal of very very very exotic guitars rather than just one first-multiscale-weve-ever-done-hope-it-turns-out-cool PRS guitar.

olejason

Some people have enough money to not really care if they could have got something similar from a different builder for less money. The buyer probably just really wanted a PRS.

CatStrangler

The surprise is not that exists. The surprise is that someone paid PRS to do it. The "we will build you whatever you want" concept comes with a huge caveat that if what you want differs in spec by something more than woods and colors, you're going to be charged the equivalent of an entire extra custom guitar for the option. Pricing for the Private Stock program is almost a measure of how much they don't want to do something as how much it really costs. This guitar is easily $15,000-$20,000 and its not even that exotic. For that money you could get a very top tier multiscale from Myka, Oni, Ormsby, and at least two other companies and have an entire arsenal of very very very exotic guitars rather than just one first-multiscale-weve-ever-done-hope-it-turns-out-cool PRS guitar.

A lot of fine builders are capable of building this sort of instrument, no doubt. I am curious, have you had a bad experience with the PS department at PRS? In my experience they are usually excited to do something they have never done before. I'll also hazard a guess at the cost for the buyer at well below 15k, but will admit the first time a cnc fee gets thrown at you, it feels steep.

Reactions: C-4

Trending Topics

Top Bottom