PRS Non-adjustable Bridges

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RedMitch, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RedMitch

RedMitch Member

I played a PRS SE Soaopbar II last week and really liked it, especially for the money, but it just wouldn't intonate properly with it's fixed bridge. Any of you SE or McCarty owners replace the stock bridge with one that's intonates? If so , any recomendations, Tone Pros, Hip Shot, Bad Ass?
    I'm amazed PRS ships a guitar of the quality of the McCarty with something that non-functional. I suppose I can understand it for cost reasons on the SE models.

Mitch

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Have you tried using the intonation adjustment screws on the bridge? You can't adjust the individual strings but you can adjust either end of the bridge.

3. RedMitch

RedMitch Member

"Have you tried using the intonation adjustment screws on the bridge? You can't adjust the individual strings but you can adjust either end of the bridge."

No, I played it in a Guitar Center. There really wasn't any opportunity to play with the bridge, especially over the din of the dozen or so shredder wanna-bes playing different songs.

Will the adjustment screws on the bridge really get the intonation close enough? I suppose you could argue that since the stoptail has fewer moving parts it would transfer vibration better and give better tone. Personally I'd take the adjustability instead.

Mitch

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Never heard of anyone who had intonation issues with that bridge using "standard" guage strings, even when checking with a strobe tuner.

Try a search on Birds and Moons for "intonation".

5. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I was skeptical but the stock bridge on my Hollowbody II intonates perfectly with 10's. I bought it used and a TonePros adjustable bridge came with it. I liked the tone on the stock bridge a little better and since intonation was good I'm keeping it. I also like the lack of moving parts and possiblity of saddles shifting or causing rattles and such.

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I would probably go with a badass. But the guitars we have with that problem are my wife's, and it doesn't bother her.

I got a '61 Special which I really liked because the previous owner had fitted a badass on it.

7. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

When I bought my SE Singlecut II, the intonation was spot on. At that was from the wall at GC. Never had any problem with that bridge.

8. angelo

angelo Member

Hey Red,

I have a McCarty and also was concerned about the lack of adjustability. Gotta say, it is DEAD ON with 9's. Every time since I got it in 1995.

If you see one a bit off, there are adjustment screws as mentioned above.

9. LHanson

LHanson Member

SE Soapy II is a killer axe, good tone, light as a feather. Best $300 + case I ever spent.

If you get one, be sure to detune before you adjust the bridge, either for height or intonation. The adjustment screws will dig into the bridge posts if you don't.

10. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

the stoptail on my CU22 intonates better than all of my other guitars. I use .09 strings and am careful when I change them to not move anything out of adjustment.