PRS options

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JVIoneyman, Sep 5, 2006.

1. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

I was pondering maybe getting a prs but i dont really know anything about them.

What are the most popular ones? The Customs or the McCarty.

Whats the difference between the two models?

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Wow. There are sheaths of opinion/info. on these few questions, but I would ask the PRS enthusiasts on the TGP sister 'Birds and Moons' Forum. I'll contribute that the first widely produced and still most widely owned PRS is the Custom 24....I think! Lots o' differences, though. AC

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Man there's so many.

McCarty - thicker body, stop bar tail, maple top, mahogany body, mahogany neck (though I know a guy with a solid rosewood neck). Threeway with McCarty Pickups

Custom 22/24 - Thinner body, stopbar or trem tail, 5way rotary or 3 way with Dragon II's for the 22 and HFS for the 24.

I like the 22 fret versions because the neck pup is farther from the bridge. I have a CU22 that I really really like (sold my LP for it and I still don't regret it, I LOVE LPs)

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

This is a good place to start: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

After that, telling us what you're looking for from a PRS would be make it a lot easier to make a constructive suggestion. In any case, it would behoove you to try 'em and decide for yourself which model (if any) works best for you.

5. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

I dont really know what im looking for, other then hearing the guitar the exhibits classic PRS tone. I only played those two models for about 15 minutes a few years back when I was deciding on my Les Paul just to compare. I ended up getting the Les Paul. I basically dont want a PRS to replicate a Paul or a strat becasue I have both. I just want the one that sounds the most PRS if that makes any sense.

6. moody07747

moody07747 Member

PRS guitars are "Da bomb" lol

They vary from $200 - about $3,000 I believe...well that's what my guitar crazy cousin says.

I have a PRS SE, cheap little unit but has some great sound. I wish I had better tuners and a whammy bar though...

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Out of those 3 models, I would say the Custom 22/24 is the most Prs like.

The McCarty is supposed to be Les Paul(ish).

The Custom 24 definitely splits the Les Paul and Strat sound pretty much down the middle. Doesn't sound like either, but has decent humbucker and split coil sounds.

The Custom 22 would kind of be a fatter sounding Custom 24. So many options with the guitars to influence the sound. Neck shape, trem, stoptail, different pups in all 3 models, etc....

At least that's my take on it. I own a Custom 24 and Singlecut, sold a Santana 1, and have a McCarty Standard on the way.

8. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

Yeah, I just dont think i was fair to them, and never really gave them a chance. Im willing to check them out now. I dont think ill like it better then my R9 but im sure it will be great!

9. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

McCarty Model with Rosewood neck and board is just plain killer. Smooth playing, great tones, great guitar. I actually think the guitar could sound better with after-market pickups that aren't as muddy as the McCarty's that come standard.

10. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

for a period in the 90's--- you could also get the cu22's chambered (semihollow).

perhaps the best guitar ive ever played.

11. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
  12. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

My personal fav's are the Cu24 and the McCarty's - I'm not a huge Cu22 fan, but I think I'm in the minority (?). Or if you've got the budget, check out a Modern Eagle - that's the shiznit PRS 22-fretter.

13. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Sorry to go off track a bit since the Johnny Hiland signature is obviously NOT your typical PRS, but looking for other PRS demos in Youtube I found this and just had to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9imuLRcCEI

14. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

I came from an LP as my #1 and a strat as my #2 - the custom 24 did it for me, although I prefer the sound, ergonomics and playability of the earlier ones (pre 93 or so).

good luck!

15. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

Does anyone know the output of the Dragon II's?

16. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've been gigging with Dragon 2s in my Custom 22 for 7 years and the volume is about the same as the 57 Classics in my Les Paul Elegant if that's any help.

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I 've been using prs guitars for 10 years and I love em. I just sold my custom 24 and picked up a hollowbody 2 that has tone to die for. Get you one man !!!!

Johnny>>

18. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

What is the DC Resistance?

On Dragon II's...
    What About McCarty?