• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS Pickups -- 59/09, 57/08, 53/10, \m/

padavis

Anyone have these recorded in a controlled way? I have read the differences but I'd really like to hear them through the same amps one after the other if possible.

As of now, I have no intentions of changing from my 53/10s but I'd sure like to hear the differences and also I'd like confirm my thoughts that the 53/10 are amazing pickups.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone have these recorded in a controlled way? I have read the differences but I'd really like to hear them through the same amps one after the other if possible.

As of now, I have no intentions of changing from my 53/10s but I'd sure like to hear the differences and also I'd like confirm my thoughts that the 53/10 are amazing pickups.
Are those the ones they used in the p22 for a while?

FractalGarden

I guess I'll be that guy. I bought my P22 because I was after two things - the piezo and the 53/10s. The former is still excellent. The latter .... not so much. Fought with them for a few months before installing 3rd party pickups that now make this guitar a total keeper. Whatever magic is supposed to be in them is lost on me.

LJD

I guess I'll be that guy. I bought my P22 because I was after two things - the piezo and the 53/10s. The former is still excellent. The latter .... not so much. Fought with them for a few months before installing 3rd party pickups that now make this guitar a total keeper. Whatever magic is supposed to be in them is lost on me.
Funny. I have them in a HBII, and I couldn't remove the piezo system fast enough. The 53's split (I use resisters) sound so good, like P90s.

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a modern eagle Quattro that I've had for a couple years and I've just decided to swap out the 53/10s. They're ok but I'd rather have something a bit hotter.

skhan007

Can confirm, 53/10 are magic.
I took the 57/08's out of my McCarty Smokeburst to try out a set of 53/10's. I don't think the 57/08's are going back in anytime soon. The 53/10's are a grand slam home run, IMO. The split sound, especially, is among the best I've heard from a humbucker. I wish I knew the secret recipe that made these pickups so good. The DC resistance when split is very low, so I think it's the underwinding for sure, plus something about the wire/materials they used.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
I've got a modern eagle Quattro that I've had for a couple years and I've just decided to swap out the 53/10s. They're ok but I'd rather have something a bit hotter.
What did you go with? I'm pretty happy with the 5708's in my Custom 24. I would love to try the 5310's. I have read different feedback on them from being anemic/lifeless/weak to utterly fantastic and single coil like. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair. Pretty hard to find on the used market.

If you decide to sell yours....

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
What did you go with? I'm pretty happy with the 5708's in my Custom 24. I would love to try the 5310's. I have read different feedback on them from being anemic/lifeless/weak to utterly fantastic and single coil like. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair. Pretty hard to find on the used market.

If you decide to sell yours....
I haven't done anything yet.... but may try the 59/09s or something else. I have a PRS Singlecut Trem with a pair of Suhr Aldrich pickups and that thing is a MONSTER. Crazy good with those pickups. I've considered putting the same in the Quatro but feel like I should try something different.

I definitely won't sell the 53/10s just in case I ever want to return it to stock. I think they're good pickups... they do sound single coil like but that's not really my thing. I actually like the tone on the wound strings but the unwound strings sound a bit thin for my liking. Can anyone comment on the 59/09s? That's what I'm leaning toward trying.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
I haven't done anything yet.... but may try the 59/09s or something else. I have a PRS Singlecut Trem with a pair of Suhr Aldrich pickups and that thing is a MONSTER. Crazy good with those pickups. I've considered putting the same in the Quatro but feel like I should try something different.

I definitely won't sell the 53/10s just in case I ever want to return it to stock. I think they're good pickups... they do sound single coil like but that's not really my thing. I actually like the tone on the wound strings but the unwound strings sound a bit thin for my liking. Can anyone comment on the 59/09s? That's what I'm leaning toward trying.
I actually bought a set of covered 5909's and put them in a Gibson Explorer. They sound good but I think they are a tad hot for my liking. I think I have developed a love for the lower output PAF style pickups, hence the desire to try 5310's. I do mostly play rock with distortion but I think lower output pickups work better for me and my Soldano SLO.

I have heard others say the 5909's are a great hotter PAF style pickup, as well as the Suhr Aldrich which I believe is even hotter.

padavis

Wow this has really turned in to a great conversation! Thanks again for all that have chimed in. Have any of you compared the 53/10s to their actual P90s?

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Funny. I have them in a HBII, and I couldn't remove the piezo system fast enough.
Isnt the Piezo in the HBII a totally different system that whats in the P22?

I can remember trying the HBII piezo some time ago and not being at all impressed, but Ive played a P22 and was blown away by the acoustic tones.

Otto Tune

The problem with opinions is you may be looking for a different sound than I am.
So, if I tell you that I love the 57/08's (I do) you may find something else fits your tone better.

GlueMan

The problem with opinions is you may be looking for a different sound than I am.
So, if I tell you that I love the 57/08's (I do) you may find something else fits your tone better.
I believe that's why he asked for a recording in the OP

Pearl-o

To throw another option in the ring, the new 58/15's offer more clarity and less warmth (some might say darkness) than the 57/08's, but they're not as hot as the 59/09's.

I have yet to play any of the 53/10's, but I've been GASsing intensely for a 53/10 Limited.

LJD

The story from PRS is a certain kind of wire was used for the 53/10's, similar to early P90s, and it's now too difficult or expensive to obtain. As PAF pickups go they are hotter than the typical humbucker, slightly higher output than the 57/08s. When I put them in my HBII I noticed a big difference in the neck pickup warmth. It didn't get muddy at all, but it filled in the lows, lo mids perfectly for what can lack with a hollowbody. The bridge pickup was a little less "bratty" than the 57/08, not as harmonically rich but I thought the 57/08s had too much for my guitar. They feel more responsive, and mine are a little microphonic which I love in hollowbodies.

aeiou (why?)

Yeah, I'm a serious guy
had 57/08 in a CU24
59/09 in a dirty 100
53/10 in a ME quatro

found the 59/09 a bit harsh, but loved the others. but the models were different too

bettset

i bought a used santana that the previous owner put 53/10's in. haven't recorded them yet, but the output is a bit less than the santana's. i like the variation. he sent the original pickups with the sale. maybe i'll put them in a lp since prs has ruined me for lp's lol. i also have the 59/09's in a custom i bought a few yrs ago. very nice too. i know prs keeps the pickups secretive which does suck. but i like what prs has done. i get great variety from their pickups. at least with the amps i have.......all of them work for me. makes using the volume and tone controls much more useable. doesn't matter if i use a pick or fingers. they just ring right.......the over/under tones or whatever else anybody refers to these as :munch