PRS Pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rickman769, Oct 4, 2008.

1. rickman769

rickman769 Member

I'm looking to re-replace the pickups in my Cu22 IRW neck and having a really hard time making a decision.

I currently have a Duncan '59 set in both positions and I'm looking for something that has a bit more output but is fatter and smoother as well.

I can't really afford to go with WCR's or anything totally handwound and I can get great prices on Duncan, DiMarzio, Lollar, and PRS (possibly).

Any recommendations are welcome, though.
    I'm sure there are lots of threads regarding pickups, but I need a specific answer.

Thanks guys,

Ricky

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I had in my McCarty a 59N & Custom 5 that worked really well the C5 is much hotter than the 59B but still can get a vintage vibe to it, I have the same set in my Les Paul also with excellent results!

3. Ken

Ken Member

WCR Goodwoods or Lollars are both excellent with PRS.

4. klnol

klnol Member

I put a Duncan Custom 5 (Bridge) and a Jazz (neck) in my CE 24. I'm happy over stock, but not 100% about the Custom 5. It's really bright, might go with a 250k but might swap some time (maybe a Duncan JB?) I dig the Jazz! I recently was recommended the suhr pickups. http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx
    Good hunting!

5. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I'm a big WCR fan, pricey but the tone is there. I've also had great results working with Wolfe at Wolfetone, where you can get custom handwounds for around the price of the whitebread offerings. He wound me some custom Marshallheads with Alnico II mags that just kill in my Hollowbody II, replacing a set of WCR Goodwoods.
    Anything from these two guys will make you smile bigtime!-Eric

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

wow I dont find the C5 that bright and I use 500k Super pots on my guitars, my McCarty is a darker sounding guitar compared to my Les Paul but even on my LP the C5 sounds great!

7. klnol

klnol Member

Yeah, maybe it's the CE (bolt-on maple neck)? I couldn't tell you why, I'm relatively new to pick-up mods etc. However, I usually run my tone knob around 7-ish, with the C5 I'm setting tone around 3. I'm still on the fence, just getting used to the new sound. I'll probably stick with the C5. :JAM