PRS Private Stocks and other boutiques

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PinoyBoy, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

How true!!!!

2. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

No, its the next 5 made with BRW necks, #100-104.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget small builders usually have no middle man or store mark up so a $4000.00 small builder guitar would probably be a $8000.00 list guitar in a store. The small builder also doesn't have anywhere near the overhead of a PRS. They usually have pretty small shops and only a few employees. In general they don't offer health insurance, profit sharing, 401k, etc.... How can they?

I too have had quite a few custom guitars and many Gibson's and Prsi.

As far as tone, playability and looks, I have to say that the stock, production model PRSi stand up to most of the custom guitars I have played, owned or inspected.

I'm not even talking Private stock, just production models. PRS is sort of in a league of their own as far as production models(imo)

As far as value, that's up to each individual. I love stock Gibson's, Prs and small builder guitars. Like Jimmy said, they all have their appeal and perceived value to me.

Hey, whatever floats your boat:AOK

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Quiet!! His wife might hear you! :eek:

5. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Interesting perspectives. Thanks for everyone's take so far.

I think PRS guitars are cool... felt like that ever since I saw Santana play one. This thread was not intended as an "I don't like PRS" thread so I hope nobody got the wrong impression. While I know that BAM exists, I still find it strange that there's very little discussion of PRS here at TGP.

6. gregory49

gregory49 Member

DrPCR!!! Please tell us more about the green quilt top guitar next to the modern eagle!

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Can you order a PS with original MilCon one piece trem and original small heel?

A 22 fret Santana?

Compound radius? Custom neck shape?

Or you can only follow the option they offer??

8. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Pinoy, I think a lot of people are hesitant to post much about PRS stuff because there are some hardcore PRS haters on TGP. I rarely see a PRS thread without the typical comments from the anti prs crew, glad your thread hasn't gone that way!

9. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

I actually didn't know about the hater crowd. That's probably why!

10. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I would like to know this also, they don't give much info on their PS site.

11. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

The answer is Yes. There have been some 'reissue' '85 PRS Private Stock guitars that had the MilCon trem and small heel. A 22 fret Santana? Yep, they've done that too. The custom radius and neck shape, I'm pretty sure they would do that as well, as long as they can get the exact specs from the customer / dealer.
    While most PS are in a standard configuration, there are some that are truly 'custom'

12. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Thanks for the answer!!

13. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I ve just got two PS and a modern eagle a lil ago
    I m a vintage guitar person and never been turned on by PRS, not big on Santana nor any of the PRS iconic guitarists...
    Regardless, from a builder point of view, I ve always thought they were decent guitars and basses. Slightly on the overpriced side for sure but keeping a decent resell value as said before.
    I could also say that I ve never had any major issues on a neck,truss rod, frets or any other main component of the instrument even tho we sold A LOT of them over the few years I ve been running and then working in a guitar shop.
    I must say that I was pretty impressed by some PS I ve sold or played tho. Not the super bling ones, these are to me the same thing as a "show bike". I respect them for the craftmanship, the inlay, the myth or whatever people want them for but the "performance" part is quite pointless to me. Lookers are made to look good, if 90% of your top and fretboard is made of inlays, who cares if it sounds good or plays well to this point :p

This said, I was pretty blown away by a couple of McCarty PS and I think that the level of attention to the details, finish, scraping of the bindings, crowning of the frets, selection of the woods, inlay work etc is pretty good for a small factory type of guitar comparable to Gibson top end CS or Fender masterbuilt. No pun intended but it s quite above these two on average. I don t think they are a ripping you off.

Now of course a fully handbuilt or very small workshop made guitar might be a better axe on many levels and cost half the money.

People don t buy a bling Rolex because it will be more accurate than a cheaper 20 bucks Casio watch, they buy it for what it is ... a bling rolex ! Same with a Harley or a Vette... They all come with they good and bad sides but if one loves em then it s the best one can get !

PS: Most PS i m selling are 4500 to7k. Bling show models etc are hard to price, same deal with unique pieces and extreme designs, more a matter of finding one that would fall for em. I hope this helps : )

14. redpill

redpill Member

I've owned 4 production PRS guitars. They were all very good guitars. I prefer the guitars I have by a wide, wide margin. I also consider small builders to be a more cost-effective option than Private Stock. That doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with the Private Stock guitars. They just aren't worth it to me. And I like the direct interaction with the builder that the smaller shops provide.

15. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

PRS wouldn't be asking those prices on PS stuff if they weren't infact getting that for them. There are plenty of people that are paying that much for them for whatever reason, whether its "Dealer-Spec'ed" or "Customer-Order", it doesn't matter, they still sell. In fact that backorder on them is ridiculous which is why you probably don't see a whole lot of "Customer-Orders".

I don't see why the comparisons get so heated when PRS gets involved? Especially with the talk of "other" builders. If you like, buy it. If you don't, you certainly don't have to buy it.

I think all these builders are building great guitars. Personally, I feel PRS really put boutique custom guitars on the map or at least kicked the doors wide open for them. With that said, I'm a happy owner of a few PRSi including a PS.

Here is my PS 513 Maplewood, which in fact plays very well and sounds just as sweet as it looks. I play it with the same care as my other guitars, which includes Gibson Historic LP, Fender CS, Gretschs, ect... There is room for everyone!

By the way, I actually compared this PS 513 to a BRW 513 when they were first introduced and I felt that the Maple neck made all the difference, which is why I went with the PS. In my case, going PS was the only option if I wanted a Maple necked 513, and that still stands today.

On another incident, I was looking at 2 HBIIs w/ piezo. One was PS in Ruby Red that looked amazing with one piece top and back with braz FB. The other was a Artist Package in natural. Both looked amazing and serious lookers, especially the PS. But, I ended up going with the Artist package HB because it was there tonally and play-wise. I certainly wanted another unique PS but it just wasn't all the way there for me compared to the other HB.

Enjoy the pics:

My PS 513 Maplewood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

My HBII Artist Package in Natural

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

What I turned down... a PS HBII in Ruby Red.

By the way, it was impossible to photo this red on my camera, so none of these pics are doing it any justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

You mean a BRW neck, right?

If you are talking ME that is...

19. jcground

jcground Member

Egad, this is a gorgeous HBII. I'd love to play it. :bow

20. Vegas513

Vegas513 Member

Sorry, but I just HAD to bump this one...