• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

PRS Quality

NateW.

My wife bought me a 2005 PRS McCarty as a wedding gift in June 2005 when we had no money. I used to stare at PRS’ on the wall at Cherry Hill Sam Ash as a teenager, and it was my dream to own one. This one will stay with me until the day I die.

Say what you will about PRS (I love them, some hate them), but I believe they make some of the best guitars for the money at any price point.

After 4 years in a case, the McCarty is perfectly in tune, intonated, and the neck was perfect...strings were a bit crusty. I’ve taken the guitar for three setups in its lifetime...each time the tech said no set up needed. Unreal. The only other guitar I’ve owned (and I’ve owned many during the last three decades)that has that type of stability has been a D35.

jvin248

They are very nice.

More and more guitars are nipping at their heels though, especially when considering pricing. They can't sit still.

joebloggs13

My wife bought me a 2005 PRS McCarty as a wedding gift in June 2005 when we had no money. I used to stare at PRS’ on the wall at Cherry Hill Sam Ash as a teenager, and it was my dream to own one. This one will stay with me until the day I die.

Say what you will about PRS (I love them, some hate them), but I believe they make some of the best guitars for the money at any price point.

After 4 years in a case, the McCarty is perfectly in tune, intonated, and the neck was perfect...strings were a bit crusty. I’ve taken the guitar for three setups in its lifetime...each time the tech said no set up needed. Unreal. The only other guitar I’ve owned (and I’ve owned many during the last three decades)that has that type of stability has been a D35.
Quick question....are you actually playing the guitar or keeping it as an investment? If it was me, I would be playing the heck out of it.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
PRS has some of the best craftsmanship and some of the most amazing wood I've seen in a guitar in my 50 years in the game. However, after trying many, their sound is something that my ears just doesn't care for. Well, until the Silver Sky came along...but it's basically a Leo design and a "strat" has been my go-to guitar for many years. But kudos to PRS for knocking my Fender Strat out of the #1 slot. I didn't think PRS could win me over...and they did it with basically a Fender design with sound, feel, & craftsmanship that I was unable to find, to my satisfaction, in a modern Fender incarnation! My eyes didn't want to like the Silver Sky but my ears & hands out voted them;)!

Last edited:

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
They truly are impeccably built. Like every damn specimen is a perfect example. Their pickups for nearly 15 years now (IMO) have been easily as good as any custom winder out there, each offering their own voicing & characteristics

Last edited:

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
PRS has some of the best craftsmanship and some of the most amazing wood I've seen in a guitar in my 50 years in the game. However, after trying many, their sound is something that my ears just doesn't care for. Well, until the Silver Sky came along...but it's basically a Leo design and a "strat" has been my go-to guitar for many years. But kudos to PRS for knocking my Fender Strat out of the #1 slot. I didn't think PRS could win me over...and they did it with basically a Fender design with sound, feel, & craftsmanship that I was unable to find, to my satisfaction, in a modern Fender incarnation! My eyes didn't want to like the Silver Sky but my ears & hands out voted them;)!
There's an interesting YouTube out there... I think it's either Tim Pierce or Rick Beato (I forget) doing back-to-back sound comparisons with the Silver Sky & a vintage '64 or' 65 Strat and PRS nailed it. You cannot tell a sonic difference. It's amazing

NateW.

Quick question....are you actually playing the guitar or keeping it as an investment? If it was me, I would be playing the heck out of it.
I’ll never see a guitar as an investment. I love to play them too much...hopefully, everyone does.

I played the hell out of it for 10 years, and sporadically since then. For a long time, I preferred H-H guitars; and then gradually began to prefer single coils (such a cliche)...and now I’m turning back.

NateW.

They are very nice.

More and more guitars are nipping at their heels though, especially when considering pricing. They can't sit still.

That’s a great thing...Lots of great guitars being built and there’s something for everyone. IMO, PRS and Ernie Ball have raised the bar, and I’m guessing, inspired other builders to do the same.

SupremeDalek

When you buy a PRS, every time you try to do a setup for years in the future, the objective is to make it play and feel like the day you took it out of the box.
I've never, ever played a guitar that didn't require some adjustments when I bought it. That is until my PRS showed up. It was perfect out of the box. I don't mean "close enough" to perfect. I mean absolutely, stunningly perfect. There are weeks (yes weeks) I don't tune it, I then play it pretty hard, and it stays in tune. In the last 9 months I've had to make micro adjustments in tuning, that's it. I've owned a fair amount of guitars, and this thing is the best by a large margin.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
When he was starting off just doing repairs PRS was known for his setups ... from accounts I've read hes the kind of guitar tech I would only have touched my guitars, good thing hes making them now :)

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I got a first run DGT with a bad nut, but I grant it was in the vast minority. Once the nut was fixed it was an awesome guitar for the decade plus I owned it.