PRS quoted TWO YEARS for a guitar order

Krausewitz

I just asked for a price check on a special semihollow and was told the wait time is two years (!). Does this seem reasonable to you? I was absolutely stunned.

Why not just hire more staff at that point?

big mike

Fixed Bias at 70%
Platinum Supporting Member
I just asked for a price check on a special semihollow and was told the wait time is two years (!). Does this seem reasonable to you? I was absolutely stunned.

Why not just hire more staff at that point?
It’s more than just adding staff.
Materials manufacturing capabilities…
You just start throwing more people into the mix and pushing the numbers then QC can slip.

Example: cbs fender

slbdvr

Silver Supporting Member
Wow!! They must be growing past just doctors, lawyers, and dentists!

In all seriousness though I Clark Kent as an electrical engineer. Some of the lead times on electrical gear have gotten downright insane. So it isn't shocking to hear other industries feeling this pain now too. Hopefully you can get what you want soon.

Krausewitz

It’s more than just adding staff.
Materials manufacturing capabilities…
You just start throwing more people into the mix and pushing the numbers then QC can slip.

Example: cbs fender

I utterly fail to believe that PRS are either:

A) Producing so many more guitars now than they were in 2019 that they just don't have the facilities to produce them any faster

or

B) There is no more wood

Both of these seem like incredibly dubious arguments.

big mike

Fixed Bias at 70%
Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t think B is correct in any way shape or form.

A is your supposition I disagree with.

Believe I waited 16 mos or so around 02 /03 for a custom order?
(standard 24 regular neck, all gold, birds)

67 goat

I utterly fail to believe that PRS are either:

A) Producing so many more guitars now than they were in 2019 that they just don't have the facilities to produce them any faster

or

B) There is no more wood

Both of these seem like incredibly dubious arguments.
For the last couple of years pretty much everybody was producing at capacity and backlogged on orders. And that was for the standard build stuff. For those lines, you need not just more people, but more equipment (and possibly structural space) to increase production.

If you are talking custom shop stuff, then you can't just pull anybody off your line to increase production. You need a skilled luthier. Even if they had experience at some other manufacturer, you aren't turning them loose on day one. It can take months to get them up to speed on your process and expectations.

And do you want to spend money on new people, new equipment, new buildings if you suspect the increase is temporary and not sustainable? No.

It's not just a matter of turning a knob and getting more output.

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
Frustrated, definitely.

It shouldn’t be this hard to spend money.
It's not. There are 58 brand new Special semihollows on reverb right now.

Another 13 used.

Getting a custom order right now will take a lot of time. I'm at 15 months and counting on a G&L Custom Shop order. I could have bought a stock one in a day in a variety of colors and other options

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom