PRS S2 Custom 24 vs. SE Custom 24 - Opinions

MonstaTone

I would have asked this question at the PRS forum, but I don't want to hear that I should buy a Core Model......
I have owned probably 7 Custom 24's. All of them were made between 1990 and 2002.
I've also owned probably as many CE24's and a McCarty within the same year ranges.
I loved the tone of every single one of them! The playability is just fantastic!

But.......
I always sell them because the "Violin" carve on the edge of the upper bout digs into my arm. For my playing style, it is extremely uncomfortable.
I had a McCarty sanded down, the edge was very round (probably a 5/8" radius) and it was extremely comfortable and infinitely more easy for me to play without pain.

I've been eying an S2 Custom 24 because the body is already beveled and I would not have to sand it.
I have only had one PRS with the Regular neck shape (early CE-24), but the neck was warped so I don't really know if I like it or not.........
There is no way that I can try one out in person.

I am a huge fan of modern Strat necks. I have 2 American Deluxe Strats that just feel like home to me!
They don't have that mahogany PRS tone though.

Of the PRS necks, the Wide Thin is easily my favorite, but the Wide Fat is nice and comfy too. I would compare Wide Fat to a Cadillac, where the Wide Thin is a Corvette to me.

What do you guys think of the S2 Custom 24, based on the above info?

Do the tremolos have a steel or a brass block?

jrw32

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned dozens of Core PRSi, a couple SEs, and currently only own two S2s (Standard 22 & Custom 22 Semi-hollow). First off, they basically feel the same as Cores to me as far as quality and overall fit and finish. Others have had concerns over the SE tremolo, but it has not been an issue for me on either...no tuning or intonation issues, granted I rarely use the trem.

Like you, I was always a Wide-Thin guy....never got along with their Wide-Fat necks. But I will say the Pattern Regular necks is very, very comfy...definitely fatter than a Wide Thin, but not as fat as Wide Fat to my hands...feels like a C shape with a narrower nut width than the previous. PRS necks can vary by size a bit due to hand sanding, but the necks feel identical on my S2s.

I would highly recommends any of the S2s! I love the tones and playability of both of mine.

MonstaTone

Steel block, but John Mann makes a brass replacement block.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
I have a Dave Navarro SE that plays like butter. It has a steel block too. Doesn't sound as warm as other PRS that I've owned.
I have an old CE22 with a funky fretboard. It could easily be a donor for the trem and Dragon pickups!

I have owned dozens of Core PRSi, a couple SEs, and currently only own two S2s (Standard 22 & Custom 22 Semi-hollow). First off, they basically feel the same as Cores to me as far as quality and overall fit and finish. Others have had concerns over the SE tremolo, but it has not been an issue for me on either...no tuning or intonation issues, granted I rarely use the trem.

Like you, I was always a Wide-Thin guy....never got along with their Wide-Fat necks. But I will say the Pattern Regular necks is very, very comfy...definitely fatter than a Wide Thin, but not as fat as Wide Fat to my hands...feels like a C shape with a narrower nut width than the previous. PRS necks can vary by size a bit due to hand sanding, but the necks feel identical on my S2s.

I would highly recommends any of the S2s! I love the tones and playability of both of mine.
Thanks!
How do you like the S2 pickups compared to the Core models?
I don't care for the Vintage Bass, but the HFS in the right guitar can scream! I am rapidly developing a taste for the original Dragon pickups too.

jrw32

Silver Supporting Member
How do you like the S2 pickups compared to the Core models?
I don't care for the Vintage Bass, but the HFS in the right guitar can scream! I am rapidly developing a taste for the original Dragon pickups too.
Both of my S2s have #7s, which I like a lot more than other PRS PUPs I've had on Core models. Warm but clear with lots of chime, especially in the Cu22. I find them extremely versatile and sound great for clean, mild OD, or searing, liquidy leads. A lot of the core PUPs I've played have been pretty muddy, but these are pretty open sounding to my ears. Also, strangely I find the tone control on the S2s much more useful than on most of the Cores I've had.

Chicago Slim

I'm also watching this thread with interest. I'm considering an S2 Standard 22, Brent Mason model, or an SE Sandard 24. I currently own 3 Starla's, a Standard 22, 2 Stats and an SE Custom 24. I have played the new SE Standaed 22. It was nice enough that I'm trying to play an SE Standard 24, before I make a decision.

sergiodeblanc

I forgot to ask.....if you have used them.....how do you like the S2 tremolo? Does it stay in tune?
My Navarro doesn't have locking tuners, so I don't use the trem very much.
I haven't used the MannMade brass block yet, but I have been considering one (or two).

The S2/SE trem works well, not a big fan of the arm or saddles but if you get locking tuners and lube the nut I think they perform their job just as well.

Trending Topics