PRS S2 line: "Stock" good enough?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by toanechaser, Mar 25, 2015.

1. toanechaser

toanechaser Member

Got a Singlecut incoming next week and I´m stoked. However, I have little experience with S2´s or PRS in general for that matter. I´m starting on a series of small tours in may and I´m planning on bringing the S2 along as one of two axes. As a quality over quantity kinda guy, I wonder about the overall quality of the S2 come to tuning, noise, playability, stability and all the other stuff. Can the S2 SC cut the mustard when the going gets tough? Any heads up on "issues"? Potential worthwhile upgrades?

Cheers,

2. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

3. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Disclaimer - I have not gigged my S2 Custom 22 yet....

That said, it holds it's own 'very' well against any other instrument I own, including my core Mira. I have no desire to change out the pickups as they sound great. And I love the feel of the neck and the control overall.

If I could only take two guitars on the road tomorrow, my Mira and S2 would both come with me without a seconds thought.

I own, Fender, Gibson and Reverend guitars as well....and to be honest, would happily take any one of them too :)

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Nothing is good enough stock. Hang around here a little more and you will find out too.

5. dazco

dazco Member

Absolutely no worries. They are excellent quality. But if you want the most reliable guitar, get a tele with a fairly beefy neck. One nite you can be playing the antarctic and the next the sahara desert and it wont even flinch.

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

The S2s are pretty stable overall. The stoptails on those are identical to their Core counterparts. I personally would change out the pickups on the Singlecut model, but that's just reflecting my taste.

7. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I have also wondered about the S2, same as the OP. I have read other posts from folks saying that for the price you should just get a core model. However, I desperately want the S2 Custom 22 hollowbody, and the core models are $2000+. I don't much care for fancy appointments, I care about the feel of the instrument and the build quality (which some of you have already commented on). Do these things really FEEL like a PRS? I have played both the SE and the core models, and there is no comparison between the two. How much of a divide is there between the S2 and the core?

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I can only compare the Starlas, but I can say that the S2 does indeed feel pretty much like the full PRS Core experience. Putting the scarf joints and the known imported components aside, the cost-savings seem to otherwise be mostly on cosmetic things like wood grade and carving.

Can't speak for the semis - there is a little more craftsmanship going on with those so I suppose that could be a weak link, but I'd be surprised if they weren't at least 95% there.

9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

My S2 Singlecut is a worthy guitar stock. My only complaint is that I probably would have gone for wider frets if it was an option, but that's just a matter of preference. Love the neck cut, love the #7 pickups, which somehow sound twangy clean but can get that nice scooped thrash sound too if that's your thing. Honestly, I don't gig it much because I like to fight the guitar a little to get my sound...the S2 just covers a ton of ground a little too easily.

10. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

To me, they're closer in sound and feel to an SE than a core USA PRS. I'd buy used core pretty much every time, I think. The pickups on the S2 line in particular are underwhelming to my ears -- not approaching the quality of the newer USA pickups, imo.

11. DrewH

DrewH Member

Replace the volume and tone pots. The 3 way switch is fine. My pots didn't last 6 months without crapping the bed. The volume has been especially troublesome for some people.

12. BadMonkey007

BadMonkey007 Member

The maple tops? disgusting, like a cheap guitars from Indonesia

I will give you some advice only solid color! trust me you will thank me later :D

13. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Id really like to try out a SC in antique white. I'm drawn to it every time I see it.

14. Suhrlicious

Suhrlicious Member

Well, coming from someone that actually owns one, I'd have to disagree with you entirely. I've had SE models and none came close to the S2 I now have. In fact, after getting an S2 I have no desire to get a core model just because I'm completely happy with the neck carve, pickups, and overall quality of the S2.

15. Suhrlicious

Suhrlicious Member

This I do agree with, except I wouldn't call them disgusting. Mine is black and I'd go white or black every time on these models.

16. toanechaser

toanechaser Member

Okay. I am thinking about ordering up a pair suhr SSV/HSV+
    Need my S2 to be suitable for metal and down.

Thanks for the input so far. Seems opinions are divided on the S2. As to the color, it´s a non-solid elephant grey, didn´t want to cover up a maple top. Thinking it culdn´t be worse than no maple top...

17. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I wanna like the S2 line, but this is how I feel too. Nice stuff, but nowhere near the core guitars...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. toanechaser

toanechaser Member

hmmm.. Not very comforting this..

19. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

Not at all...I'm going to have to locate one to try for myself.

20. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Had a S2 Mira, was a fantastic guitar! It played and sounded better than any Core Mira Ive tried.