PRS Santana I

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by -kk-, Jun 14, 2005.

1. -kk-

-kk- Member

Howdy folks, what are your thoughts on this? Have been offered one in orange, have yet to check it out but am quite keen to do so.

I know the general specs (24.5, 24 frets, quirky switching system etc), but how do they differ from the Santana II and III models?

Im expecting it to be quite dark sounding, given the shorter scale. What are the stock pu's? dragons?

any idea what a 1996 is worth in the used market? from all accounts, it seems like this is in good (used) condition (as opposed to good collection's condition).

any thought appreciated.

TIA.

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i believe the santana I had santana I pickups. its pretty much a santana II with different electronics from what i remember.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The main difference between the 1 and 2 is the switching only. The 2 comes with the toggle, and the 1 comes with the 2 mini switches. (they perform the same functions)

The fingerboard is brazilian rosewood on the 2, and indian on the 1.

The pickups are both Santana pickups, which are modeled after The Seymour Custom(SH5) AND 59' Neck.

I own a Santana 1 and can tell you the guitar is not dark at all. It actually is kinda bright in the bridge, and very Santana"ish" in the neck.

The Santana 3 is the same guitar with covered pickups and less fancy inlay.

I think they are great guitars, that play and sound really nice.

Value wise, the 1's are the most valuable and desired. The new Brazilian model is also up there.

The 1's and Brazilian models go between 5 and 7k. The 2's go for about 4-6k. The 3's are around 2-3k, at least that's what I've seen advertised in the various sources on the net.

Fwiw,

Larry

4. -kk-

-kk- Member

cool, thanks for the reply guys. so am I correct to assume that both the I and II will have the abalone stripes on the body?

the visual im getting is similar to that orange PRS santana used on his supernatural concert DVD.

btw, should I be concerned that the owner does not have the PRS cert or anything? just the guitar and case.

Cant wait to test this baby out!

5. paintguy

Yes,

both will have the body abalone strips.

And yes it should be very similar to the Supernatural Guitar. I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of paperwork as the guitar"is what it is" and as long as it's original and not altered you should be fine.

Also, the prices I listed are for clean, near mint to mint guitars. Take away a little if it's in "used condition".

6. CarlWerkmeister

CarlWerkmeister Silver Supporting Member

Santana's did not have Certificates.

7. paintguy

$3700.00 for a orange Santana 2 on" the gear page". Check guitar emporium.

8. -kk-

-kk- Member

What do you guys make of this reply:

"its got complete papers, flight case 24 frets all stock including pick ups, coil tap, tuner auto lock system, 1996, looks like santana orangey, but NOT santana model, stripes, no OM inlay on head stock, condition 9/10, no ding no sacrthes, bird inlays, trem, no stripes in the middle of the neck (not sure abt this), no modification, sound is killer. but the strings are quite old now, the sound is much more powerful if the strings are new."

he describes it as santana lookalike? now Im completely thrown off.

9. paintguy

Well,

it's sounds like it's not a Santana then. Is it even a PRS? Get pictures and I'm sure someone on this site can identify it, and give you a ball park value.

It sounds kind of suspect to me.

Are you looking for a killer guitar or a Santana model? A Santana look a like is not a Santana and does not have a Santana value.

I would check it out in person and see if you really like it. Then make a decision on whether or not it's worth the asking price.

Just my opinion,

Larry

10. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

AFAIK a Santana 1 would have a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard..

11. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

Maybe he has a custom 24 in orange. A Santana does not have a coil tap, the SI switching has two mini-toggles selecting the front pup, both pups, bridge pup and a mute position. Most (if not all) Santana 1's had an IRW fretboard, the Santana II has BRW board. The Santana's with a mahogany neck are certainly not dark sounding.

12. cavinbill115

cavinbill115 New Member

love carlos, boy would i love to get my hands on one of those guitars

13. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Weren't his early guitars in the shape of the Santana model?

14. amc

amc Member

yes, it was prs' original body shape with a 24.5 scale length .
    here is my ridiculously great santana 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]