PRS SAS or Fender CS 60 Strat Relic?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeYello, Jun 21, 2006.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

So you are a rock player. You already own a strat and a Les Paul and McCarty. You have the opportunity to get a PRS SAS or a Fender 60 Strat Relic. What would you do? Decisions, decisions.

I am looking to my fellow GAS-aholics for help.

Thank you:crazyguy .

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'd go for the relic and put a set of Irish Bare Knuckle PUPS in it........Thats what I did and I couldn't be happier! :RoCkIn

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

You already own a Strat, so I'd go with the SAS, for variety (you don't have anything resembling a swamp ash guitar with humbuckers, should be an interesting rock machine).

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

+1 I'd try the SAS. Having said that, are you looking for more traditional strats sounds that you do not get out of your current strat?

5. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Basically, I have the strat sounds covered. I already have a 60 closet classic strat and came across a relic that I liked. Don't need it at all. I just thought it would be cool to have.

I need a life!

6. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

As mentioned, you have the strat sounds covered. Unless the strat is your primary guitar type and you require a backup for shows, etc. and that neither deal is substantially better (ie cheaper) than the other:

I would probably go with the SAS. Very cool piece.

7. uberpict

uberpict Member

The SAS is very versatile with lot's of tonal variety. None really like a Strat, much fuller and warmer sounding but with lot's of low end snap and high end sparkle. The split coil sounds are good but not SRV or Hendrix but there is quack and honk if wanted. My closest comparison is to a Tele Deluxe, Keef type tone for days, but there's much more to it than that. A good "woman" tone on the bass pup and heavy rock tone with both HB's on. Haven't regretted getting mine in the least, except for having to sneak it past the wife. :D

8. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Come on you've never done that!:BluesBros

9. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

SAS all the way if you already have a strat. I've been wanting a SAS for a while and really like their versitility.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I'm in this boat right now. I have a great Les Paul and a great Strat (well, a Nash). Each is really more suited to certain material I'm playing. I am seriously looking at a SAS to cover all the ground so I don't have to switch guitars.

11. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Phil, that is my thinking exactly.

I choose the SAS: black sunburst, maple, dots and trem. The guitar is dated 3/31/06 and came with rusty 9's on it. I'll throw some 10's on and set it up and see how it does. Got it locally and I am very satisfied with the deal. The swamp ash is beautiful. I'll get around to taking a photo at some point. It's still in transition to my guitar room, if you know what I mean.;)

12. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

The new SAS guitars come with a 5 way blade switch instead of the 3 way toggle. I've always thought that being a 3 pickup guitar, it should have a 5 way. This change should make it even more versatile.

13. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Cool! I didn't know that. Do they also have push/pull for coil tap?

14. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

There is a 60s relic strat at www.supersoundmusic.com that is pretty damn lightweight and lively, esp on the wound strings.

15. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I believe the pull up tone control remains.

16. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Even though mine is dated 3/31/06 it has the 3 way and pull up. I didn't want to wait for the 5 way.

17. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Does the relic sound and/or play better for your needs than your Closet Classic?

If so, sell the CC and use the extra bucks to buy the relic AND the SAS.
    :D

18. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Relic......I did!!!!!!:rotflmao

MSRP: $4674.98Email for discounted price!
    [​IMG]Status: SoldThumbs: Click for larger versions
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] SN. R2808

model: ’60 relic strat color: 3 tone sunburst body wood: alder finish type: Relic laquer construction options: sort for lightweight wood neck wood: unfigured maple fretboard wood: dark rosewood neck shape: large C radius: 9.5" fretwire: 6100 neck finish: removed / relic’d lacquer hardware color: chrome nut: bone tuning keys: vintage nickel bridge: vintage sync trem strat pickup setup: s/s/s pickup switching: 5-way pickups: Fat '50's special instructions: extra relic’ing on neck and body, no forearm wear
    [​IMG] CLICK HERE to email Fat Sound for more information

19. jowille

jowille Member

SAS! all the way! even without the 5 way switch.... I have a 2002 with the 3 way and it rocks! go fer it!