PRS SAS Original vs Current (Narrowfield)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 27, 2013.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I may have some extra $$ soon. The original SAS seems designed to try to get every sound. The current NF version seems more like strat tones on steroids.

Would like to hear from those w/ experience in either as to their experience, likes and dislikes after playing one over time.

2. slide2xxx

slide2xxx Member

I have the original HSH version, but the newer one with the blade switch.
    Maple fretboard.

It's a really great and versatile guitar!

That said, IMO, in the standard configuration it's more of a dual humbucker guitar with some okay-ish single coil options.
    Don't expect strat "in-between" tones from it and the factory installed SC (SD blade) is not that great either.
    I think I'll eventually try different pickups and a little different switching scheme, but it's good enough out of the box that I didn't bother until now.

It shines for everything that doesn't require "dark" tones (like maybe Jazz).
    But clean and also with (high) gain, it's just a lovely, well defined, bright-ish but still rounded tone.

Didn't get the Narrowfield cause I can't switch the PUs around if I don't like them...and PUs are such a basic mod for any guitar that I wouldn't want to miss the possibilty. Unless I'm sure right from the beginning, that this guitar is "the one"... :)

3. wilerty

wilerty Member

There have been many configurations of the SAS and several pickups. I much prefer the middle model with a 5-way. With this setup you can change the humbuckers and middle pup if you want to and get the 2 and 4 positions. I bought one to replace my Strat. I put 5708s and an inverted Fralin 12 string pup in the middle, and think it sounds great (to me).

[​IMG]

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have the SAS Narrowfield. Great guitar! Big, smooth neck. If you can imagine a strat with beef or a P90 with clarity or even a CE22 with between positions then you can imagine this guitar. My only complaint is the same as I have with all PRSi, the output is too much.

To the credit of the older version I have not owned one. Just played some. A better mod platform IMO but I feel the newer one is clearer with more usable tones and no need to replace the pups.