PRS SC 245 - Amazing Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by glman, Feb 22, 2008.

1. glman

glman Member

I just bought myself a PRS SC 245.
    I'll wait a month before writing about this AMAZING guitar.

2. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Well it should be discussed on another forum, but I tried it several times (it's PRS's closest interpretation of Les Paul). It looks nice, made in perfect PRS way, sounds good on its own, but is still not keeper for me (compared to my working horses Les Pauls).
    It can be easily that PRS surpasses Gibson in overal quality, setup and QC, but not in the most important criteria that is classic, LPs SOUND (at least comparing my LPs with 245 I kept in hands) .

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

First, i might be interested in the Santana.

Second, I also have a SC245 and I really like it. Eye for eye with a new LP Std, it's hard for me to understand how one could pick the LP. The SC is smoother and less muddy and of course, the QC and workmanship iisn't even close.

4. tone4days

tone4days Member

i'm still over the moon with mine ... ive only had it a week, but i still smile wildly when i play it .. feels so good in my left hand and sounds wonderful ... i have never owned an LP, so i can't and won't make a comparison ... but on its own, this is a very seriously happenin guitar

t4d

5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I have to agree. I'm well past the honeymoon phase with mine and it brings a big smile to my face every time I play it. Great sounding/playing guitar. PRS has created the perfect modern intrepertation of a LP as far as I am concerned. It manages to capture the tonal spirit of the LP with improved clarity and sustain, and playability/ergonomics that Gibson can only dream of. Those searching for vintage LP tone will probably still want to get a Historic LP, but for me, theSC245 rules!

6. glman

glman Member

i won't argue that gibson has something special .
    I've owned Many Les pauls - STD, custom, Goldtop, deluxe etc.....

I loved some of them and still have the custom but I cannot deny that the PRS felt like coming home to me and it happened immediately.
    the factory setup was immaculate.
    the playability of this guitar surpasses even the Santana 2 - not to mention all and every Les Paul that I've ever played.
    The weight is perfect and for any sceptics - the weight reduction/compartments actually add something to the sound of the guitar that I absolutely love.
    I tried it through my Alessandro English and bought it on the spot.
    IMO it completely blows my Santana 2 away in every respect.
    the only area that the santana might be better is for spanky clean stuff - and that's only because of the tremolo/springs adding their magic to the sound.

in all fairness - I tried a few SC245's and some of them felt kinda stiff and sticky even with new strings.
    The one i chose was unplayed - I literally took it out it's case and freaked out straight away. - Boom!!!!

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I also have a 245 and Les Pauls. I like the 245 a lot but then I didn't bond with it and now I really like it. Top notch quality and feels great.
    IMHO wont take out my Les Pauls by any means. My Les Pauls are excellent build quality as well and have Dr Vintage pots and great pickups so for me its no contest. Like all PRS's I've owned and played they sound inbetween a Strat and a Paul.

8. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Man I want one of these so bad...as well as a 513 and a DGT...this could take a long time lol.

I would really really like to see someone do a comparison test between an SC245 and a LP Standard with the same pickups, pots, etc. I'm pretty sure that the SC245 would absolutely kill the LP in every area.

9. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

I've been somewhat interested in the 245 but worry that the pickups aren't hot enough. I know, I can swap 'em.... anyone compare the pickups to a LP (say a studio with 490s [I think that's what they're called]).

10. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I don't know about that. Different animals all together. The 245 has a significant amount of chambering in it, where as a 58 or 57 Standard does not. That alone will make for some tonal difference. Also the PRS has the curvy 10" radius which is different than the flatter radius on the Gibson. Both are great choices. It just comes down to what fits you better.

11. glman

glman Member

FWIW - when buying my SC245 I tried a Les Paul STD that was in the store as well.
    firstly the setup of the Gibson was bad - but this can be fixed - more importantly - the gibson felt like a Heavy Tree Trunk compared to the SC245.
    Lastly - to my ears through my Alessandro English the SC245 was quite a bit sweeter/fatter and tighter on the bottom.
    The Les Paul was a bit muddy by comparison but it's not the sound but the overall feel and Quality of the SC245 that completely overshadowed the Les Paul.
    Gibson has made some GREAT guitars in the past and I've owned quite a few Les Pauls but the SC245 is absolutely magical out the box - Period

12. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more.....I gig'd my 1-OFF last night. Great sounding guitar.....I didn't have to tune it all night.......:roll

[​IMG]

13. jeffh

jeffh Member

I retired by '02 R8 last year when I bought a SC245. The R8 was my main guitar for five years, lots of gigs etc... it's in it's case now.

14. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Glad you like your 245. I checked them out recently and thought they were great. I liked them more than the Gibson USA stuff and felt that the 245 was more comparable with the Historics.

I ended up with a Historic. I thought it outshaodwed the PRS by a wide margin. The main reason for me was the flatter radius of the Gibson, which others may not like. Hard to go wrong with either. Btw, those Santana 2s are sweet. Sounds like you have a nice pair of PRS.

15. glman

glman Member

thanx - I'm Basically set up guitar wise.
    I've also recently added a bluetick to my amp stable - George should be shipping it out to me quite soon.
    I must admit that I actually prefer the cheaper ( 1/4 of the price ) SC245 to my Santana 2.I'm sure that many will disagree - but for my hands and style of playing the SC245 is absolutely perfect.
    PRS have Nailed this particular Guitar - I'm sure in 10+ years many people will be looking back and saying they should have bought one.
    like I said earlier - there were quite a few 245's that i went through and all of them were great but the one i bought was perfect.
    There's something special about the neck and frets - it's really easy to play/bend notes - really fast neck - even better than the Sanatna 2.
    this is one of the few Guitars that when playing it - doesn't feel like you're fighting the instrument.
    The gibson on the other hand requires effort - but it all depends on the individual.
    I'm not a big guy and my hands are average and this SC245 feels like it was custom built for my hands - I'm absolutely floored everytime I play this guitar.
    totally satisfied in every way!!!!!

16. stratlad

stratlad Member

A bit off track - how does a SC245 compare tonewise to a McCarty soapbar (one with maple cap)? Totally different? Any tone overlap? SC245 sounds tempting!

17. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I got to do a good run through with an SC245 and a 2007 LP standard. The LP was set up quite well.

BOth sounded and played great. I thought they were extremely close in tone and playability. IMHO which one you like best will be determined more by the particular guitars you try than by any differences in the two guitar designs.

On average, I think Gibsons historics have a little something extra that the PRS doesn't have. Then again if you play a few SC245s there's a good chance that you will find one that hangs in there with the better Historic LPs.

PLay as many as you can and get the one you like best regardless of the make.

:BEER

18. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

I think PRS really hit a homerun with both the SC-245 & SC-250. They absolutely nailed it.

:dude

19. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

My favorite part about the SC245 is that all you have to do is mention it and POOF, instant discussion about 'the Les Paul tone'........few guitars have that ability!

oh, and they look pretty!

20. majordelt

majordelt Member

I am in love with the 245. I just spent about 45 minutes today with a Gibson historic that I set up to taste. IMHO I feel the PRS stands above interms of quality feel, fit and finish. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 245.