PRS SC-58 - hold or sell?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Vede, May 6, 2016.

1. Vede

Vede Member

Hey guys,

I've got two beautiful PRS SC58's that I enjoy but rarely play. Is there any reason to think that they will significantly appreciate (or additionally depreciate) within any semi-reasonable period of time? I don't need to sell them, but I also don't need to forever hang onto guitars that I rarely play. Trying to decide if now is as good a time as any, or if I should hold for the time being.

What do you think?

2. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

Depends on the color, wood figure, etc. IMO, now is a good time to sell as any. I don't see newer PRS appreciating in value, really. I would check in with the PRS guys over at Vintage Rocker. I love PRS guitars, btw, I have a CU22, CU24, and Hiland sig.

3. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I was in a similar situation with a pre-lawsuit quilt top Single Cut. I decided to get rid of it so someone could enjoy it....
    I think there are enough of them out there that it will tough for them to become very collectible.
    Of course I thought the same of my Steinberger GM4TA and my Gibson Chet Atkins hollowbody....

jrjones and Bobby D like this.
  4. Vede

Vede Member

Thanks, grapeshot. I'll see what the folks at Vintage Rocker have to say.

I love PRS guitars, too, and I'm keeping my CU24 Floyd, but I'm just not playing these two SC58s. I always want to be a singlecut guy, but find myself gravitating back to my superstrats.

Because I'm always thinking about resale value when I buy, I tend to pick the best tops I can find. These are the two I've got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

The SC-58's seem to be holding their value well (better than SC245s or single cuts) as there weren't many blown out during the PRS/GC "clearance" a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't see them appreciating in value short-mid term for two reasons:

* While the "58's" were a limited run, their features aren't particularily unique from some other models PRS has offered.

* I was at a PRS event earlier this week and Paul showed off the first "standard production run" McCarty 594. I suspect that a good number of people looking for SC-58 type features will be shifting their attention to that model.

Good luck!

Vede likes this.
  6. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

My crystal ball got cloudy a long time ago.

7. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Those tops are gorgeous. I especially love the first one. You won't have any problem selling those.

KeLynne and Vede like this.
  8. BMX

BMX Member

I wouldn't think twice-anything that's not getting played gets sold. The "problem" with PRS is that they've never dipped in quality so resale is never going to jump.

Vede likes this.
  9. lessthan12

lessthan12 Supporting Member

More pics of the Green please if you want to sell

10. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Wait. There's a production four knob 594 coming out????

11. Vede

Vede Member

Of the two, the green is actually the one I'm thinking about hanging onto! But I'll consider a reasonable offer. PM me if you're interested. This is the only other shot I currently have, which was taken by the dealer. I can take more. The guitar is pretty much like-new other than some slight discoloration of the brass parts on the bridge, which happens to all SC58's over time.

[​IMG]

12. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Yes Sir and/or Madame. Paul literally took it off stage and put it in my hands (it's whale blue) - they're being built as you read this. Same configuration as the PS release including the 85/15 low turn pickups. Paul said MSRP is $4799. If I didn't already have a MC-58 that I love (Paul played it a few years ago and said its one of the best MCs he's played) I would have reserved it on the spot.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  13. rmg471

rmg471 Member

I can confirm the production core model 594.

Pointy Headstock likes this.
  14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Just looked at the PS model again and noted one slight difference- the "Core" model headstock is unbound (the fretboard is bound).