PRS SC245 - standard pickups or 57/08?

cosmos

Hi everyone,

quick question, maybe somebody out there has experience with this. I have a standard PRS SC245, but accidentally found out that I still have a pair of 57/08 pickups laying around my house.
I was planning on selling them but the reviews are very good so I'm wondering whether putting them into my SC245 would improve my sound? Is there anyone who can tell me the difference?

Thanks in advance!

FennRx

yes. the stock bridge imo is terrible. The 57/08s would be an improvement but there are far superior PAF type pickups out there.

Sell them and buy something that is actually worth the hype.

darkinners

57/08 a rather bright and low output PAF style pickups, absolutely better than stock sc245 pickups.

You may put them in before you decide if you gonna sell them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
yes. the stock bridge imo is terrible. The 57/08s would be an improvement but there are far superior PAF type pickups out there.

Sell them and buy something that is actually worth the hype.

For sure. A set of Fralin Pure PAF's with a 5% underwound neck would work wonders.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
I'll be the dissenting voice. I have a Singlecut Hollowbody with the 245 pickups and I think they're fantastic pickups, at least in my guitar. I have zero intention of "upgrading" them.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
I think the SC245's are decent sounding but I do think the 5708's could be an improvement depending on what you after. I have played/owned so many PRS Guitars and pickups and the 5708's are really nice.

jimpridx

Silver Supporting Member
I think the SC245's are decent sounding but I do think the 5708's could be an improvement depending on what you after. I have played/owned so many PRS Guitars and pickups and the 5708's are really nice.

I agree! The 57/08s are indeed pretty decent pickups, and I've used Holmes, Throbak, Wizz, OX4, etc., etc. I'd try the 57/08s before selling them.

Rockin J

I agree! The 57/08s are indeed pretty decent pickups, and I've used Holmes, Throbak, Wizz, OX4, etc., etc. I'd try the 57/08s before selling them.
I agree also. The 57/08's hold their own against any other overpriced pickups.

krusty1053

I always get a kick out of threads like this, and the peculiar TGP notion that not one single OEM guitar has decent pickups, and every aftermarket pickup winder is a frickin' genius. I can't imagine getting rid of the 57/08 pickups in my SC245. They are a perfect match for the guitar and for all the music I play.

halcyon

I always get a kick out of threads like this, and the peculiar TGP notion that not one single OEM guitar has decent pickups, and every aftermarket pickup winder is a frickin' genius. I can't imagine getting rid of the 57/08 pickups in my SC245. They are a perfect match for the guitar and for all the music I play.

In this case, the OP is considering a move from the stock pickups TO a set of 57/08s, not FROM. The 57/08s aren't stock on all SC245s. Many (most?) ship with the 245 pickups.

krusty1053

In this case, the OP is considering a move from the stock pickups TO a set of 57/08s, not FROM. The 57/08s aren't stock on all SC245s. Many (most?) ship with the 245 pickups.

Yes, I know. I was commenting on the inevitable deterioration of the thread.

Gary_

I've replaced humbuckers in a several of my guitars and on one I went high-end. It was worth it.

However, I bought a Stripped 58 just over a year ago and that has the 57/08 pickups in there. They are, for me, perfect - easily the equal of the boutique wind in another guitar.

I would certainly try them. As one other poster has mentioned, they are low output and clear. To me, this is a good thing but of course it depends what you want - there is no hard and fast rule with pickups but if I had to make one it would be:-

Guitar they are in + quality of the pickup + setup of guitar + amp you use it with + playing style of the user + the taste and expectations of the player = what it ends up sounding like (good or bad :) )

I, for instance, generally do not enjoy high-output pickups. This doesn't mean that a Bareknuckle War Pig is not a superb pickup - it's just unlikely to float my boat because I like vintage. I can still get loads of dirt from my choice of amp (I have a Kemper). If I played speed metal I would probably be better served with a higher output pickup irrespective of my amp but I don't :)

So try it - any pickup (regardless of price and who made it) can be perfect if it's to your taste and to be honest the quality of the 57/08 is more than good enough that you've a good chance of liking it - IF you are wanting a low output, vintage tone :)

Quintus

Silver Supporting Member
Love the 57/08s in my SC245 McCarty. Articulate, creamy, classic, versatile are words that all apply IME with them. I'm with the others who are recommending you try them out first.

halcyon

Actually, the 245s, 57/08s and 59/09s are the only PRS pickups I've tried that I've liked. I have a set of 245s in a limited run Special 22. They probably just threw in whichever pickups they had in excess at the time, but I like them!

jimmyj

Love the 57/08s in my SC245 McCarty. Articulate, creamy, classic, versatile are words that all apply IME with them. I'm with the others who are recommending you try them out first.

Yep, my SC245McCarty with 57/08s is one of the few guitars I've owned that I didn't change pickups and doubt I ever will.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom