PRS SC245 vs. Historic R8 playability

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dankayaker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

For those who have experience with both, were you able to make the PRS play as easily (defined in this thread as extremely low action and loose feel without fretting out) as the R8's.

thanks

2. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I have found all my PRS SC easier to "play" than my LP historics

3. dankayaker

Wow . . . .I've found just the opposite. Though I'm glad to hear you say that as I'm considering the 245 instead of another R8. But all the 245's I've played locally have the 10 radius and there seems to be a limit as to how low the action can be set . . .my last two R8's played lower than any guitar I've played.

4. hardys

hardys Member

Now that Gibson is PLEKING these guitars, you can get the action pretty low before buzzing.

5. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

What about upper fret access? Fret size? Tuning stability?

6. dankayaker

Yup . . good points , . . . . and the main reasons I would consider a PRS.

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

+1.
    I've found PRSs are usally 99% ready to play off the wall, where as a Gibson in 99% likely to need a trip to your tech for a decent set up.

8. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Playability is going to be better on the PRS, particularly because the nuts are done better. Frets are going to be perfect on the PRS, maybe maybe not on the LP. Otherwise it depends on the neck you prefer. I don't like the flatter radius and more squared off shoulders of the Gibson necks, but that's all personal preference.

9. dankayaker

I could not disagree more. I've now played 4-5 SC245-250 straight from PRS and thought the setup were aweful. My local dealer agrees PRS sets them up poorly. My R8's have needed a tweak or two on the thumbwheels and then the guitars played with lower action than any guitars I've experienced.

Now, the R8 is likely in need of a new nut or something like that.

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

It's ALL personal preference. I haven't played a million PRS guitars, but out of the ones I have played, none played anywhere near as good as my numerous Les Pauls I've owned.

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Own a SC245 and 3 Historic Les Pauls...

Love all of em' and they all play delightful.:D The action could be a smidge higher on the PRS, but it feels and plays wonderful.

Variety my friend;)

Get the PRS if you have a R8.

12. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I've had 16 PRS guitars so far, and I work for a dealer so I've seen about 20 per month for the last 3 years, but what do I know?

Haven't seen nearly as many R8s, maybe only a dozen. Turn those keys and you hear the pinging of the strings binding in the nuts on most of them. Some nut files and lube and you're all good, but as far as playability most people aren't going to do that, and I'd assume this guitar vs. that guitar in the title is probably not after having setups, fret or nut work done. I hear since the plek machines the frets are better.

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

What do you know? I'd say you have alot of experience with PRS guitars and you think they play better. I was just pointing out that I disagree. Until the government plants little chips in all of our heads and programs us all to think the same way, there will be different opinions than yours. Just sayin...

14. dankayaker

Guys,

I guess when I say playability I should have quantified it ( maybe in terms of 64ths or some other measurement.)

My point is that none of the PRS's that I've tried were even capable of playing in the range of my R8's. The bridges could not be lowered far enough without grinding into the body. My R8's played 2/64ths and only fretted out a little when played with a heavy hand. Now, low action is not everything . . .but with regards to this thread . . .it's mighty important.

15. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Both are great guitars.
    However, even Paul Reed has said, he prefers nitro, but the Market dictates how "perfect" they want 'em, so there you go.

I think people need to learn how to a) take their instrument to a tech right after purchase for set-up, and this usually means a light fret dress right off the wall.
    b)learn how to set-up your guitars.

It's like people thinking certain guitars sound better in a guitar store just because they are strung with Elixer's and have super low action. Taylor has sure capitalized on this.

People like to hear with their eyes and fingers, automatically assuming the guitar is "Better" just because.

Martin's and Gibson's usually play the worst out of ANY guitar hanging (due to either dead strings and ****** set-ups. However once set-up, they kill in every dept, especially tone IMO. but thats just subjective of course)

16. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

can somebody tell me why people refer Les Pauls as R7, R8, R9? I just got a 2007 Les Paul Standard Faded with 60s neck and the crappy nut that came on this thing is horrible. I still love the guitar but this nut has to go.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That has been my experience, as well.

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Just an easy-to-remember naming convention for the Historic Reissue series that tells you which year Gibson it's a reissue of: R7 is a Reissue of the 1957 Les Paul Goldtop, R8 is a reissue of the 1958 Les Paul sunburst top, etc.